Transformers for Balanced to SE conversion.
Jan 12, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dual.jpg

interesting, so are there any caveats with this particular transformer? I like the ability to use a higher impedance pot, as 50K is much easier to get a hold of, compared to say a 5K pot:

3575.jpg

... and 1:7 seems just about right, to work with tube and solid state designs.

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #32 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
interesting, so are there any caveats with this particular transformer? I like the ability to use a higher impedance pot, as 50K is much easier to get a hold of, compared to say a 5K pot:

No more caveats than with any other trannie. Just give it proper loading and keep input levels and source impedances within reason. If you use a pair in series, you can get away with double the input level and source impedance than with a single unit.

se

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #33 of 35
Anyone know if the multi-port TecNec "On the Level" units are good, clean?

Billed as "Bi-Directional Audio Impedance Matcher"

as good as Aphex?

If their use cases differ, please explain

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #34 of 35
To do so, I could either go with an active solution [opamp?] or passive [transformers]. I would prefer the latter, and was looking for suggestions for a suitable pair of transformers I could mount into a small box with a pair of XLR and a pair of RCA connectors. Put this close to the preamp and problem solved.
A transformer certainly beats the integrated solution on simplicity of assembly every time. But transformers are large, somewhat heavy, and add distortion. If the downsides of transformers don't bother you, I recommend the Jensen JT-11P-1. You can buy them directly from Jensen: https://www.jensen-transformers.com/transformers/line-input/

For an active solution, I prefer the LME49724. I get THD down around -140 dBc with that. 60 dB better than the transformer. THAT1200 and THAT1646 are possibilities too.

Tom

Jul 6, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #35 of 35
A transformer certainly beats the integrated solution on simplicity of assembly every time. But transformers are large, somewhat heavy, and add distortion. If the downsides of transformers don't bother you, I recommend the Jensen JT-11P-1. You can buy them directly from Jensen: https://www.jensen-transformers.com/transformers/line-input/

For an active solution, I prefer the LME49724. I get THD down around -140 dBc with that. 60 dB better than the transformer. THAT1200 and THAT1646 are possibilities too.

Tom

This is a necro thread. Good recommendations though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back