Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM (Now With 'New' 1Plus2.2!) Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #107 of 6,416
+1 on sound diffs vs merlin incl the mids difference. I thought treble presentation was different in merlin too (more accentuated as per UM's usual sound sig above 4khz) Maybe expand on the bass differences (could be hard to do from memory)? I'm pretty sure 1+2 has more sub bass. (probably not perceived from mids difference). (I thought the overall sound difference was something like stax/audio technica (merlin) vs LCD2/3 (1+2).

-1 on that look being pretty :D (pimps in da house?)

>I find enough similarities that I could recommend the 1P2 to someone who is considering the Merlin but would rather have universal fit and not deal with the issues inherent with a full custom fit.

UM do universals as well - just ask for universal fit (they'll whine a bit, but do it)

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #111 of 6,416
How is the fit on the 1P2? Is it basically the same as most other demo customs? I ask because after a while my ear started hurting (near the cable entry) with all the demo customs I've tried. Not sure how I would fix this problem...

Cheers,

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #112 of 6,416
Quote:
How is the fit on the 1P2? Is it basically the same as most other demo customs? I ask because after a while my ear started hurting (near the cable entry) with all the demo customs I've tried. Not sure how I would fix this problem...
Cheers,

Well pdiddy as long as I angle the IEM properly the tips relieves any discomfort I'd get. So it works very well for me. But I'd say if you are concerned yet you want a universal fit. Submit a good pair of ear impressions to them and have them make a universal out of that so you get a better-comfortable fit. That would sound like a plan to me. See if they can accommodate for that. I'm sure they can.

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #113 of 6,416
Quote:
+1 on sound diffs vs merlin incl the mids difference. I thought treble presentation was different in merlin too (more accentuated as per UM's usual sound sig above 4khz) Maybe expand on the bass differences (could be hard to do from memory)? I'm pretty sure 1+2 has more sub bass. (probably not perceived from mids difference). (I thought the overall sound difference was something like stax/audio technica (merlin) vs LCD2/3 (1+2).
-1 on that look being pretty
biggrin.gif
(pimps in da house?)
>I find enough similarities that I could recommend the 1P2 to someone who is considering the Merlin but would rather have universal fit and not deal with the issues inherent with a full custom fit.
UM do universals as well - just ask for universal fit (they'll whine a bit, but do it)

We'll also have to waive our fit guarantee :)

We don't whine...we merely let you know how much more awesome customs are. :D

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #114 of 6,416
To be honest it may not be fair to point fingers at them. These IEMs are very different from each other. The implementations aren't the same so you will have different results due to the designs.

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #115 of 6,416
Quote:
Some initial impressions:

The 1P2 is a very aesthetically pleasing c/iem.  The gold carbon fiber with purple (left housing) shell is really very nice looking. The universal version is quite comfortable to wear and is a somewhat shallow fit.  I tried just about every tip in my arsenal and the only pair that gave as good a fit and sound of the stock tips were the UE TF10 silicone tips; and it’s no wonder, they are very similar in overall shape with the UE tips bore being slightly bigger.  I found the gold and silver cable to be pretty stiff and quite stubborn to tame.  Later in the week I’ll compare it with a Twag v2 and a BTG Sunrise cable.

The 1P2 wows upon first listen.  It has big bass and a spacious and open soundstage.  The sound signature I’m getting from them is a slight V shape.  Not as much as the FX700 but vocals are further back from the Merlin (memory), Eymotic ER-6 and the FitEar TG334. My one word description of the 1P2 would be: FUN!  They are just simply very fun.  They are not an iem I’d necessarily choose for critical or analytical listening but rather a just pop them in and rock out kind of experience.

I really find the 1P2 and K3003 to be very different from each other and not direct competitors in that one looking for the 1P2 sound really wouldn’t consider the K3003 and vice versa.  I see the K3003 more about finesse and precision and the 1P2 more about power, attitude and unadulterated fun.  Even though the signatures of the Merlin and 1P2 are quite different in the midrange, I find enough similarities that I could recommend the 1P2 to someone who is considering the Merlin but would rather have universal fit and not deal with the issues inherent with a full custom fit.

Nice work mate. I like the sound of this being fun (compared to the other two) as analytical listening I prefer on cans. I just want them to blow me away. I am also one of these people who did not consider the AKG K3003 when I was reading about the 1P2 and the reviews on the AKG.

Quote:
-1 on that look being pretty
biggrin.gif
(pimps in da house?)

Interesting you mentioned that because I believe Tralucent wanted to have the bass in these IEMs to have the same WOW factor as the LCD 2/3s. We shall see...

Quote:

We'll also have to waive our fit guarantee :)

We don't whine...we merely let you know how much more awesome customs are. :D

Lol

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #116 of 6,416
Keep in mind  nk77 I really didn't find the AKG3003s to be more detailed than the Tralucents, brighter yes but brighter doesn't always equate to more detail (just more fatigue). The sound signature is indeed on the funner side but I don't find them lacking in detail at all. Quite contrary to that as a matter of fact. IMO I'd say the sound is more natural. Bass is very much a  big part of the IEMs presentation but that doesn't mean it steals the show. I find mid-range to be upfront and not overshadowed by the bass. Same goes for the treble. Its smooth however detailed.

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #117 of 6,416
Quote:
Keep in mind  nk77 I really didn't find the AKG3003s to be more detailed than the Tralucents, brighter yes but brighter doesn't always equate to more detail (just more fatigue). The sound signature is indeed on the funner side but I don't find them lacking in detail at all. Quite contrary to that as a matter of fact. IMO I'd say the sound is more natural. Bass is very much a  big part of the IEMs presentation but that doesn't mean it steals the show. I find mid-range to be upfront and not overshadowed by the bass. Same goes for the treble. Its smooth however detailed.

Lee you are absolutely right - I am not great at the lingo so I can come out as confusing sometimes..Yes brighter does not mean more detailed!

I assumed from Shane's comments - particularly:

"not choose (1P2) for critical or analytical listening"

or 

" I see the K3003 more about finesse and precision"

that the AKG might be more detailed but this is in fact just a difference in sound signature and anyone reading my comment above should not come to same conclusion I did! My bad.

And that comment about the bass Lee is exactly why I am looking forward to this IEM - natural sound with great bass and sub bass presentation without being overpowering. Excellent work Tralucent Audio!

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #118 of 6,416
Well it really depends at how you look at it. When I hear a sound signature as natural I feel that its more true to the sound in real life to be honest. Many of the neutral signatures will not sound like what you get from a live show or event. It may sound better to many. If anything I'd compare it to watching a blue ray movie (far-stretch I know). It looks really good but too sharp to be real if you know what I mean. Artificial may be what I'm hinting at in a sense. Then again it really is hard for an IEM to give you those experiences you get at a live event to begin with. We all do hear things differently though...

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #119 of 6,416
Quote:
Lee you are absolutely right - I am not great at the lingo so I can come out as confusing sometimes..Yes brighter does not mean more detailed!

I assumed from Shane's comments - particularly:

"choose (1P2) for critical or analytical listening"

or 

" I see the K3003 more about finesse and precision"

that the AKG might be more detailed but this is in fact just a difference in sound signature and anyone reading my comment above should not come to same conclusion I did! My bad.

And that comment about the bass Lee is exactly why I am looking forward to this IEM - natural sound with great bass and sub bass presentation without being overpowering. Excellent work Tralucent Audio!

shotgunshane did not say "choose (1P2) for critical or analytical listening", he said exactly the opposite:

Quote:

My one word description of the 1P2 would be: FUN!  They are just simply very fun.  They are not an iem I’d necessarily choose for critical or analytical listening...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back