Trafomatic Primavera Initial Impressions
Apr 4, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #107 of 128
Not too long ago I was able to borrow a pair of Telefunken EC8020s. Purchased the necessary adapters from Deyan and spent a couple of days with them. I've tried the obtainable 6C45P-E variants/equivalents, but never experienced the super tube (we 437a or tfk ec8020). Currently using the Electro Harmonix 6C45P-E Gold Pin version.

The summary is: the EC8020 is definitely a fantastic tube. The sound was clearer and crisper with better control and the timbre felt more natural. The instruments were easier to locate (less foggy) and the soundstage was quite significantly bigger. All in all, I couldn't really find a downside. Other than the price. Or availability.

I need to disclose that my hearing hasn't been great as of late. Covid followed by sinusitis really affected it quite a bit - I still have slight tinnitus and hear certain high frequencies from completely wrong spots. So take whatever I say with a grain of salt.
Oh lucky you! So the person who lends you the EC8020 isn’t willing to sell them? 😁 They remain my grail tubes, although I have a hunch that the difference in sound compared to WE 437A isn’t gonna be that big.

Apr 5, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #108 of 128
Oh lucky you! So the person who lends you the EC8020 isn’t willing to sell them? 😁 They remain my grail tubes, although I have a hunch that the difference in sound compared to WE 437A isn’t gonna be that big.
I think if You already own 437a, the difference won't be that big. But it's just a hunch, spec wise both tubes are definitely top choices.
And the owner was very clear in his intentions :beyersmile: Not selling.

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #110 of 128
I think if You already own 437a, the difference won't be that big. But it's just a hunch, spec wise both tubes are definitely top choices.
And the owner was very clear in his intentions :beyersmile: Not selling.
A smart owner indeed 😁

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:56 AM Post #111 of 128
Any internal pictures of primavera?
It seems I couldn't find any on the internet. But there are internal pics of Trafomatic's other amps (300B Rhapsody, Head 2, etc.) and I think Primavera will be along the same lines (definitely not a mess).

Apr 5, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #112 of 128
Here is trafomatic rhapsody

1712362885063.jpeg

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #113 of 128
Apr 5, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #114 of 128
How come trafomatic doesn't get more attention? Seems everyone focusing on envy and woo? Marketing ?

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #115 of 128
How come trafomatic doesn't get more attention? Seems everyone focusing on envy and woo? Marketing ?
Maybe yes. Based on their offerings, I think they're focused more towards 2 channel, so this could be a factor as well. But apart from the amazing sound quality, IMO their products also have one of the best looks/designs in audio world. Just look at the Elysium monoblocks, or the Tara 30A preamp. Even the Primavera has this classic and yet very elegant look.

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #116 of 128
Maybe yes. Based on their offerings, I think they're focused more towards 2 channel, so this could be a factor as well. But apart from the amazing sound quality, IMO their products also have one of the best looks/designs in audio world. Just look at the Elysium monoblocks, or the Tara 30A preamp. Even the Primavera has this classic and yet very elegant look.

Have you compared primavera to any other tube head amps ?

Apr 6, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #117 of 128
Have you compared primavera to any other tube head amps ?
Nope. Well I have my Manley 300B preamp which can function as a headphone amp but that's not really comparable as it only puts out 1W so not enough to drive demanding planars. I bought Primavera based on impressions here from people I trust and also a couple of reviews. Plus I'm more of an anti-mainstream guy and there's not a lot of Primavera around so I pulled the trigger. And I'm not disappointed at all.

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #118 of 128
Availability at shows, Woo and Envy are present at every 2-3 stand at CanJams (which are the major Event here at head-fi)

Traformatic, Octave etc are also incredible but get much less attention since they are barely available to the public.

Everyone who attended such a show had the opportunity to hear Woo or Envy, this then generates buzz on a forum

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:21 AM Post #119 of 128
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/l...a-30-drina-listening-room?refsource=hifishark

AWESOME ! :heart_eyes:
Would Luuuuv to hear this ultimate Trafomatic set-up....wonder how the Susvara would sound off it lol :gs1000smile:

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #120 of 128

Users who are viewing this thread

Back