Trafomatic Head 2
Mar 19, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #76 of 277
I think the impedance is just an average that manufacturers give.
Parts of the frequency sometimes need more impedance. Or at least that's what I remember from the discussion in the Beyerdynamic T1 thread.

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #77 of 277
I would love to write a review about this amp but the fact is that nothing I have or have had touches it. So how would I give it a good comparison. These only have stock electro harmonix tubes in them. 

For my Omni the bass could be tighter, but so could the bass on my DAC, However prat, punchiness, balance, tonality .... this thing has in spades. For the HD800S the bass is pretty tight and it seems like it pairs better with that hp.  The only thin I had here was this Airist Heron 5 whose bass is flat, has a clean and very open sound but not as much depth though the width seems on par. Also it is much less musical. I love this amp. 

This is the piece of kit that I try and make sound better by building my rig around it and giving it the best tubes etc etc. 

Noone really posts about it though. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #78 of 277
I'm with your grizzlybeast, whenever I play this amp it makes me smile. It's not as lush as some other tube amps, and maybe doesn't have the air, but otherwise it checks all the boxes.

The stock tubes sound good. I currently have some vintage Amperex in that are sounding great.

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #79 of 277
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #85 of 277

The DNA Stratus was my previous amp, so compared to that. The Stratus is a DHT design that costs more, so I'm not surprised it has a bit more air/space to its presentation. That said, when I listen to the Trafomatic, I'm not longing for anything, it's just different.

The dynamic power depth and control is impressive on this amp. There is air, depth and transparency but through a warm midrange but with power and control so imaging is rich. It does not have the ethereal air and delicate warmth of a DHT but it's not missing anything "just different." Using balanced cables HEK sounds rich and fast and bass has dimension. There's some tube static might have gone loose in transport? I'll have to try tube rolling 6922.

May 19, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #86 of 277
let me know how the tube rolling works out. I have other commitments ATM but find the bass needs to tighten up a bit and I will be golden. I compared it to the TETON and found the Teton to have more space and width but the depth to be similar  with the Teton being more effortless and smooth for the HD800S... but that was with fully upgraded tubes of which made the Trafomatic more balanced in the midrange. Basically, even though the teton etched it out, I am satisfied with my TH2 and know upgraded tubes will help out a whole lot. 

May 20, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #87 of 277
  let me know how the tube rolling works out. I have other commitments ATM but find the bass needs to tighten up a bit and I will be golden. I compared it to the TETON and found the Teton to have more space and width but the depth to be similar  with the Teton being more effortless and smooth for the HD800S... but that was with fully upgraded tubes of which made the Trafomatic more balanced in the midrange. Basically, even though the teton etched it out, I am satisfied with my TH2 and know upgraded tubes will help out a whole lot. 

The only thing I noticed is that the mids were so strong on my HD800 that it sort of did make the air/stage not as wide.

Compared to other amps that had strong bass & treble, but thin mids that result in the headphone sounding to have more air.

DHT amps give different subtle midrange cues but the TH2 seems to have a much narrower midrange warmth but it is still really transparent where imaging is dynamic and clear - it reminds me of a Taurus with greater 3d space depth and warmth/weight (I say this as I just sold my Taurus). Sound stage is a little narrower because it sounds warmer but this gives more immediacy. Really nice dynamics/power I think. I'm at 2pm with the HEK. This is a really nice amp for rock music it is a push pull with solid state rectifiers I'm assuming. The depth of the soundstage is impressive - one of the first things I noticed.  Brief listen with the hd800 is it a nice match; gives warmth and body - it has power and depth for classical too but the SET ethereal midrange is my preference for solo vocals but this amp gives you more power depth and control which is a nice alternative. I hear the Teton reputation is that it is the best you can match with the hd800. If the soundstage was as wide as it is deep it would be a real nice feat I think (still at its present width it gives an immediacy and intimacy) Teton must be something.

May 21, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #88 of 277
I installed a furutech 2amp slow blow fuse and a pair of 6922 Holland pinch waist tubes with the 6n30p sovtek power tubes remaining stock. I notice with my hd800 the cloud of midrange warmth with the stock 6922 electroharmonix tubes has remarkably lifted and there is much more sparkle in the treble, air, that is transparency and resolution. Those 6n30p-dr tubes that are $400+ - I really wonder what they can do?  But I might try cryo'ed electroharmonix 6n30p - Does anyone have experience with them? 

I liked the electroharmonix stock 6922 tubes. But the pinched waist have really helped transform this amp (I don't know how much the fuse change helped as well since I changed them all at the same time.) One thing is this amp isn't really easy to change tubes with though.  But if you keep it upside down with the cover off course you can try out different tubes. Also, looking inside the amp - seems a little cramp but organized - one thing I noticed though is it looks like a little solder burn(?) or is it expoxy(?) at the base of the tube sockets. Otherwise it seems well built.

May 21, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #89 of 277
. Those 6n30p-dr tubes that are $400+ - I really wonder what they can do?  But I might try cryo'ed electroharmonix 6n30p - Does anyone have experience with them?

I own a a pair of the late '70s (or early ''80s) 6N30P-DR, but haven't had a chance to use them on my TH2.
Stereodesk still has my amp & is doing the check up on it.

From all my research on those tubes vs the modern ones, from people who used them primarily as preamp tubes on other amps, they give tighter bass & a wider soundstage.

May 21, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #90 of 277

I own a a pair of the late '70s (or early ''80s) 6N30P-DR, but haven't had a chance to use them on my TH2.
Stereodesk still has my amp & is doing the check up on it.

From all my research on those tubes vs the modern ones, from people who used them primarily as preamp tubes on other amps, they give tighter bass & a wider soundstage.

Be sure to post how you like them. I'll see if I might try to upgrade to hear this amp at it peak performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back