Trafomatic Experience Head One
Feb 25, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #136 of 199
Thanks again.

I have a question for you owners.

Do you leave your headphones plugged in during power on/off, or do you unplug them during power cycling?  I'm mainly curious because it seems like every thread of amp users has their own methods and superstitions.  I get the power off thump, but it's my understanding that if it doesn't hurt your ears, it doesn't hurt your headphones.  But, it seems like some Schiit and Darkvoice users are very scared of power thumps and have very religious power superstitions. 

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #137 of 199

Quote:
Thanks again.

I have a question for you owners.

Do you leave your headphones plugged in during power on/off, or do you unplug them during power cycling?  I'm mainly curious because it seems like every thread of amp users has their own methods and superstitions.  I get the power off thump, but it's my understanding that if it doesn't hurt your ears, it doesn't hurt your headphones.  But, it seems like some Schiit and Darkvoice users are very scared of power thumps and have very religious power superstitions. 

I leave it on all the time.
But if I unplug my phones I turn the volume all the way down first. I do the same if I have to switch it off for some reason.

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #138 of 199
hotjgy
Thanks for an interesting response!
beerchug.gif

What lamps now stand? Didn't try them to change?
With impatience I wait Trafomatic Head One.

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #139 of 199
You're welcome.  I'm using the standard Russian 6C45N tubes that were made in the Reflektor plant.  For the rectifier, I'm using a GE EZ80 that is stamped "Made in England."  Since GE badges appeared on many tubes, that doesn't mean it was actually made in England.  All in all, this is a good tube complement.  I have not tried changing tubes because the driver tubes don't have many choices.  I may try changing the rectifier someday, but for now I'm not going to.  I like it very much.

Quote:
hotjgy
Thanks for an interesting response!
beerchug.gif

What lamps now stand? Didn't try them to change?
With impatience I wait Trafomatic Head One.

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #140 of 199
Thanks for the response.  I plan on powering down daily.  I'm not worried about transients.  I'm just curious about how the amp handles no loads without headphones in the circuit.

Quote:
I leave it on all the time.
But if I unplug my phones I turn the volume all the way down first. I do the same if I have to switch it off for some reason.

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #141 of 199
Nice review hodgy.  As for me I have not touched the volume control just hit the power and never noticed any big thump or anything. It appear starting and shutting off smoothly. Maybe stupid but haven´t killed any headphone yet.  It runs quite hot though so try not to use it for two many hours before switching it off.

I like it particularly with the LCD-2 Rev2 and Edition 8. DX 1000 at times too to even more enhance it traits :wink:. LCD-2 Rev1 got a bit to mushy on it though.

It does quite hot so I try to not run it for too many hours in a row. I also switch it off when not listening to safe the tubes. Switched the rectifier for some copper one.

Speaking about running down the tubes if I run it as preamp and only use the sub output how much stress does this put on the amp? It´s kind of usable for my bass shaker while gaming. However to bad you can´t use that at the same time as using the headphone output. It´s a superb amp for movies/gaming due to the soundstaging, rich bass/body and forgiving attributes.

If I would define it as a game it would be fallout 3 :D

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #142 of 199
It's absolutely silent during start up.  There is a little pop during power down.  It's completely normal in most amps.  I'm not worried about my headphones at all.  Just curious how other approach power on and down with headphones plugged in or not.

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #143 of 199

Quote:
I've had my Trafomatic Experience Head One for a few days now and have put some hours on it.  I bought it secondhand, complete with tubes, so I'm assuming it has already been fully burned in.  I'm posting my impressions here in a little mini-review.  It is driving my HD600s, which I find to be a match made in heaven.

To understand where I'm coming from, I'll give a little bit of a background about me.  I grew up with Walkman cassette players and Discman CD players.  I listened to most of my music that way, complete with the cheap $1 headphones they throw in the box for you to use.  I didn't know any different.  I didn't know any better.  I enjoyed music that way and was happy as can be.  Later on, I got into iPods, also with cheap headphones, and listened to lossy AAC files.  Once again, I didn't know any different and really enjoyed music that way.  Concepts of sound stage, decay, timbre, etc. were all foreign to me.  I was blissfully ignorant in music being compressed between my ears.

Then, about 2 years ago, I got my first "good" amp.  It was a Woo 3.  It drove my first "good" headphones, which were the DT880s.  This was an epiphany for me.  I never knew how much headphone music could come alive.  I had sounds all over my head, projected out into space.  I could hear 3-D positions of instruments and dynamic range came alive.  I entered into a whole new world.

You could consider my Woo 3 as a gateway drug.  Once I knew better sound was possible, it became game on.  I had a new understanding of music reproduction, but more importantly, the desire to maximize my listening experiences.

Well, now I have taken ownership of the Trafomatic.  This amp has bested everything I have heard so far.  I'm not trying to put down the Woo 3, because it really is a fine amp for the money, but it is my only real point of reference for comparing the Trafomatic.  I also realize that the Woo 3 costs about 3-4 times less than the Trafomatic, so it should perform less impressively.  But, once again, it is my only point of reference.

Compared to the Woo 3, the Trafomatic is better in every desirable category.  For starters, the sound stage is huge.  I had no idea a headphone sound stage could be this large.  It has layers upon layers of sound.  I feel surrounded by the music.  The imaging is sublime.  I can pinpoint the exact position of instruments and voices.  I don't have the vocabulary to describe it, but there is just an immense sound signature.  It is alive.  There is just so much sound and information surrounding my head.  It is very holographic and 3-D.  I have never experienced such an expansive image ever before.  There is tremendous separation.  However, it is not fatiguing.  I am not under sensory overload.  It all comes together in beautiful musicality.  Yet, there is tremendous air in this tapestry of sound.  Everything is sewn together in a wondrous atmosphere.

The sound is very neutral, but there is a hint of warmness.  It also has a touch of liquidness and midtone tube magic.  Warm and syrupy this amp is not.  This amp is clear, precise, but very musical.  It has a hint of sweetness to it.  This amp does not have flaws to my ears.  There is nothing fatiguing about it.  No strident tones.  Accurate, but musical.

The bass runs deep.  It is tight and accurate.  Not at all boomy.  When the song calls for bass, the amp puts it out.  This amp seems to have power to spare in spades.  It can dig deep when needed and never lose focus, clarity, or control.

There's not a whole lot more I can say about this amp that has not been said already.  My biggest impression is just how much sound this device puts out.  There is sound everywhere.  Layers upon layers upon layers in total control and precision.  Coming from my Walkman cassette player with $1 headphones, I never knew how much sound was possible.  I never imagined I would have this amount of sound around my head.

The Trafomatic is a true masterpiece.  It is without a doubt the best musical experience I have ever had.

Are you experienced? 

Congratulations on a fine purchase, hodgjy! And for being thoughtful enough to share your musical experiences with us. 
wink.gif
 This write up was at once informative and entertaining. If you're looking to top this mini-review, you'll likely have to take the next one to DVD. 
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #144 of 199
Thank you for the kind words!  As always, you are one of the most gracious people around these parts.

Hopefully, I'm done making purchases for a while (wallet is hurting), so there won't be many opportunities for a video review (Zombie_X is the man for those).  Although, now that I have a tube amp with an output transformer, I can drive lower impedance headphones.  I've always wanted to get some closed cans.......

Does anyone have any recommendations for closed headphones that pair well with the Trafomatic?  I like to listen to prog rock, classical, and some alternative.  I appreciate bass, but I'm far from a bass head.  For example, I find the bass on the HD600 to be perfect.

Quote:
Are you experienced? 

Congratulations on a fine purchase, hodgjy! And for being thoughtful enough to share your musical experiences with us. 
wink.gif
 This write up was at once informative and entertaining. If you're looking to top this mini-review, you'll likely have to take the next one to DVD. 
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #145 of 199
I bought some uber cheap EZ80 rectifiers.  They only have the label "EZ80 Made in Germany."  Their plates look very much like Tesla plates, so it's possible they are Teslas.  Anyway, it sounds very good!  I'm shocked.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with Tesla EZ80s around here, or even the generically labeled EZ80 that looks like a Tesla.

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #146 of 199
I've been doing a little rectifier tube rolling lately. Tonight, my RFT EZ80 finally came in. I only have about 3 hours on it, so it is still burning in since I bought it NOS. I can already notice the sonic differences it has over the England GE EZ80 I had been using. Between the two, the RFT has a little more detail and a slightly larger soundstage. The bass has the same tonality and tightness, but it's just a hint more quiet. The highs are more detailed, which is a nice pairing for my HD600s. I felt that the pairing of the GE and my HD600s rolled off the highs a little too much, but the RFT brings them back. They aren't sizzling or fatiguing at all. They are nicely rendered. Cymbals have more impact now, when in the past they were a little subdued.

So far, I like this tube. I'm sure things will change as it burns in, but I wanted to post my initial impressions.

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #148 of 199
Congrats!  It's an awesome amp, isn't it?  How did you manage to get such a great deal on it?

Also, which rectifier are you using in it?

Quote:
My Trafomatic, connected to a Musical Fideliy V-Dac II to computer's USB. with cheap interconnects(for now) and HD800

bought it second hand for 450$, amazing sound quality

Apr 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #150 of 199
Sweet!

I think the Tesla EZ80 sounds really good, at it's about $10-15 a piece.  Once you get some EZ81s, please post your impressions of them.  It seems really the only tubes we can roll on this amp are the rectifiers.

Quote:
luck I guess. like new condition as well.
i use JJ EZ81, going to buy some 6S45P and maybe another EZ81

Users who are viewing this thread

Back