Trafomatic Experience Head One
Feb 3, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #181 of 199
Hello,

I'm interested in Head One and Beyer T1 combo, someone mentioned it as a quite a good one. My T1 is being burning in for some time now, currently working with Naim V-dac. The sound is a bit too bright for my taste, although I'd like to give it a few more weeks of burning in time. Anyway, I'm curious if changing my Naim with Head One will bring any improvements :)

If someone has any experience in comparing Head One to Beyerdynamic A1, SPL Auditor or similar class amps, I'd be very grateful to write a few words!

Greetings from Serbia :)

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #182 of 199
Some people on this thread mentioned this amp pairs well with the LCD2.
well.. I tried it now with different tubes and impedance settings, this is not a good choice for the LCD2 unfortunately, I need to put the volume ALL the way up for it to enjoy it properly, while the Schiit Vali for exemple can drive it with the volume on 11-12 easily..

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #185 of 199
I have a beautiful white one on the way with the following tubes:

1 - 6CA4 Electroarmonix rectifier
1 - Mullard Nos Ez81 rectifier
1 - matched pair 6C45-Pi Sovtek
1 - matched pair 6S45P-E Reflektor

I am not sure which ones are the stock tubes and am interested in opinions on the sound characteristics of the above.

I will be pairing it with HD800s and LCD-XC....will report back soon!

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #187 of 199
Yeah it has not been the best match for my LCD-2 Rev 1 and 2. It kinds of double it up and then it get to much. It´s a heavy hitting amp with a super solid foundation when it works right.

I was on the verge of selling it because my stable of DX 1000 which while better on the Head One still got almost to heavy and CD 3000 I mostly use for racing where I don´t want to wear the tubes down. But then I got the Focal Elear and with this amp it truly rivals my LCD-2 on my RDS-440. Crazy good!

Head One impressed me with the T1 and HD 800 but didn´t like them as they lacked musicality and the Head One couldn´t fully compensate. But the Elear rock like crazy on them and is almost perfectly balanced. None of my solid states amps are remotely close for this headphone.

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #188 of 199
This headphone amp also makes a terrific preamp....I had no idea how good it was in this configuration until I tried it last week with an Auralic Aries Mini as a source.

Nov 21, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #189 of 199
  This headphone amp also makes a terrific preamp....I had no idea how good it was in this configuration until I tried it last week with an Auralic Aries Mini as a source.

Need to try that. It made more sense when I had my Head One in my speaker stack though. I wonder though how much do you wear down the tubes using it as preamp as using it standalone? Same?

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #191 of 199
Hello,

I was searching for a tube amp. So this one seems to be interesting, because there is an output transformer.

* Anyone can post some inside photos please ? Really like to see the insider construction ... :wink:
* Is there any chance to drive an HE-500 headphone ?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Mar 19, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #192 of 199
Yes, I had HE-500s for a while and it drove them very well.....I may put my white beauty up for sale if you are interested...where are you based?

Mar 19, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #193 of 199
there is an internal pic posted here..not sure if it is the current version though

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/trafomatic3/headone_2.html

Mar 21, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #195 of 199
Hello,

How did you think this amp match with thoses headphones :
- Fostex th-x00
- DT 1770
- Hifiman HE-500
- Shure SRH1540

And by the way, did you recommand EZ81 or EZ80 ?

Thank you in advance   :)

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back