trading in my shure srh750dj for shure srh840. is it a good idea for metal and rock?
Mar 5, 2011 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bcasey25raptor

Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny

is it worth while to trade in my shure srh750dj headphones for shure srh840 as the 750dj were 129.99 and the shure 840s are on sale for 129.99?

i mostly listen to rock and metal is it a worthwhile investment. i can do an over the counter trade.

hows the durability in the shure srh840 and how well can it be run without an amp?

Mar 5, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 9
for those wondering i went for it and exchanged my shure 750dj headphones for shure srh840 headphones. the 840s are very impressive and i like them much more then the 750djs. the only thing i miss is the bass but im not really a basshead anyways. i care for quality over bass. and i like my mids and highs to not be recessed. in other words i like a very flat frequency response. i am currently burning them in i will let you all know what i think when they have burned in.

Mar 6, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 9
I didn't like the 840's for that very reason: not enough bass.  And I'm not a basshead either. 
smile_phones.gif
  I really like the AKG K240 Studio (Mk II) in that same price range.

Mar 6, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #4 of 9
bcasey
I'll be interested in your impressions.  I pick up my SRH840's in 3 weeks (traveling to US on business).  They're insanely expensive in NZ (NZ $399) - but I pick them up in the US for USD129 (NZ $175).  Can't wait to try these myself.  Are you using a separate amp?

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
bcasey
I'll be interested in your impressions.  I pick up my SRH840's in 3 weeks (traveling to US on business).  They're insanely expensive in NZ (NZ $399) - but I pick them up in the US for USD129 (NZ $175).  Can't wait to try these myself.  Are you using a separate amp?

currently they are unamped and they run just fine without one but they would definitely improve with one. im looking into getting the fiio e7. overall they have improved a lot since i got them. they are by far the best set of headphones i have ever heard in my life.

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
currently they are unamped and they run just fine without one but they would definitely improve with one. im looking into getting the fiio e7. overall they have improved a lot since i got them. they are by far the best set of headphones i have ever heard in my life.

You'll love the E7.  Didn't make a huge difference to my IEM's - but definitely a slight improvement.  Makes my lower end cans (eH250's) shine though - and it's just brilliant as an entry DAC.  I'm really looking forward to getting the SRH840 now.  From the feedback I've seen (including yours), I'm sure I'm going to love them.  Was a real easy choice for me vs the M50 - especially when they are essentially the same price on the street (provided you ring around).

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
You'll love the E7.  Didn't make a huge difference to my IEM's - but definitely a slight improvement.  Makes my lower end cans (eH250's) shine though - and it's just brilliant as an entry DAC.  I'm really looking forward to getting the SRH840 now.  From the feedback I've seen (including yours), I'm sure I'm going to love them.  Was a real easy choice for me vs the M50 - especially when they are essentially the same price on the street (provided you ring around).

well if you get them i hope you enjoy them. they say they compare with cans in the $300 to $400 level.

Mar 6, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
for those wondering i went for it and exchanged my shure 750dj headphones for shure srh840 headphones. the 840s are very impressive and i like them much more then the 750djs. the only thing i miss is the bass but im not really a basshead anyways. i care for quality over bass. and i like my mids and highs to not be recessed. in other words i like a very flat frequency response. i am currently burning them in i will let you all know what i think when they have burned in.

If I were you I'd start right away trying to get an amp. You will not believe what even the most basic of amps can do for a full size can. my first amp was a little cmoy purchased from Ebay. I loved how it powered my mdr7506, it gave them excellent bass and balanced the brightness. Your 840s will benefit from one like tremendously. You don't have to break the bank to get an amp. I was about to spend 300 on a headphone amp when I found a 30 year old marantz receiver hiding away in a garage. This old piece of equipment was made in a time when they made things to produce a ton o juice!. You know how much it costs on a garage sale? 100 bucks tops, and it will power all higher end cans you purchase in the future.
enjoy those shures!
dt880smile.png

Mar 6, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
If I were you I'd start right away trying to get an amp. You will not believe what even the most basic of amps can do for a full size can. my first amp was a little cmoy purchased from Ebay. I loved how it powered my mdr7506, it gave them excellent bass and balanced the brightness. Your 840s will benefit from one like tremendously. You don't have to break the bank to get an amp. I was about to spend 300 on a headphone amp when I found a 30 year old marantz receiver hiding away in a garage. This old piece of equipment was made in a time when they made things to produce a ton o juice!. You know how much it costs on a garage sale? 100 bucks tops, and it will power all higher end cans you purchase in the future.
enjoy those shures!
dt880smile.png

thanks for the advice. and trust me im definitely enjoying them. they are incredible. metal music never sounded so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back