Trader Advice - Am I in the wrong?
Jun 6, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #16 of 30
From a buyer's perspective, it's a safe assumption that a receipt is not included, and if it is, it does not guarantee warranty transfer/service.  That needs to be verified with the seller and/or buyer.  Any product sold after the original purchaser is considered second hand, and all expectations should be treated as such.  You typically save 20-40% off brand new, but sacrifice the warranty.  It's a catch-22 between the tradeoffs.

With that said, I have accompanied an invoice with items that I've sold because the purchased date was very recent and the information on the invoice only disclosed my common information like name and address that's found on the return address anyways.  Receipts are a different story, which typically has a portion of source fund information.  I would never send those to the new owner.

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:
From a buyer's perspective, it's a safe assumption that a receipt is not included, and if it is, it does not guarantee warranty transfer/service.  That needs to be verified with the seller and/or buyer.  Any product sold after the original purchaser is considered second hand, and all expectations should be treated as such.  You typically save 20-40% off brand new, but sacrifice the warranty.  It's a catch-22 between the tradeoffs.

With that said, I have accompanied an invoice with items that I've sold because the purchased date was very recent and the information on the invoice only disclosed my common information like name and address that's found on the return address anyways.  Receipts are a different story, which typically has a portion of source fund information.  I would never send those to the new owner.

x2.

Invoice is probably enough to provide proof that the seller is the first owner of a product. I'd not send a receipt out because warranty transfers do not typically require them, if it is possible. The first owner would have registered the product and provided the new owner's information to transfer warranty to directly w/the manufacturer.

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #18 of 30
It's interesting to see other perspectives on this. In my mind, a receipt comes with the product you buy used or not unless I've lost it and the item is well out of warranty.

I guess I'm just too trusting and naive (or just foolish).

In this case the buyer did not explicitly say anything like you guys have or I could have understood his point of view. Instead, he was evasive and acted as though I was hostile in asking him to explain himself and therefore did not deserve a good reason.

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #19 of 30
I have to agree that a receipt with a used purchase is extremely uncommon and not to be expected. To me, it's actually the only way used prices can be significantly lower than new, because that warranty, replacement, or return service isn't present any longer. Otherwise, why take off any more than 5%?

Good communication is always key, though, and neither party should have been left in the dark about the issue.

Quote:
It's interesting to see other perspectives on this. In my mind, a receipt comes with the product you buy used or not unless I've lost it and the item is well out of warranty.

In this case the buyer did not explicitly say anything like you guys have or I could have understood his point of view. Instead, he was evasive and acted as though I was hostile in asking him to explain himself and therefore did not deserve a good reason.

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #20 of 30
It seems my approach to selling is uncommon, maybe it's just a British thing?
tongue.gif

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #21 of 30
I don't think it is a British thing. I would never pass on to someone else a receipt of something I bought. It has part of my credit card details. Once you add to that me name and address it won't be too difficult for an expert conman to make use of the info. 

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #23 of 30

That seems really - odd. I've never sent (nor received) receipts. I'll include warranty literature if it's still available, but generally warranties are non-transferable (some companies don't seem to care about this though, and will just repair what you send them (*cough* Koss *cough*)), and often-times they're expired by the time I change cans out anyways.

It's never assumed, IME/IMO, that a receipt goes with. It has, again, too much information. Just because I black out some information on the bill of sale from wherever (say Amazon), doesn't mean the person can't go back to Amazon, provide the order #, do some social engineering, etc and eventually end up with my account credentials. Since they already have your address, and likely your full name, it's not hard. I'm not saying you're trying to do this, but I don't see your request of the seller as reasonable - if that makes sense. I don't think they are an "idiot."

Also if you completely redact the entire bill of sale, it makes it worthless as a document. For example in order to return a product to Amazon, you need all of your account credentials and the order #. You can't just arbitrarily hand them a product that they happen to sell and say "give me money!" Generally it's been my experience that either manufacturers don't care (in the bad way, and just won't support the product), don't care (in the good way, and will just support the product regardless) or care inasmuch as they want a valid serial number or UPC to ensure they're supporting a genuine product.

The fact that the seller was willing to spend their time dealing with Ultrasone on your behalf is imho a positive. As far as him getting defensive - consider the identity theft reason I provided above, and then put yourself in his/her shoes. They did what they said they would do, including post-sales support, and then you come back with a hand out asking for a lot of personal information from them with no real apparent reason (in other words, you got what you wanted, so why do you need it?). I'm not saying they're right or wrong to behave as they did, just encouraging you to see their perspective as well. Hopefully you weren't too rude in response. :xf_eek:

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #24 of 30
Well, I hold my hands up and admit maybe I'm in the wrong here then. My naive/false belief that receipts go with purchases is why I wanted the receipt. I wanted the option of selling the Edition 8 while still in warranty and believed this was not possible if I couldn't give the buyer a receipt for warranty purposes.

I still think if the seller just explained his reasoning to me instead of making me out to be a potential identity thief then I wouldn't have made such a big deal out of this.

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #25 of 30
I have never asked and never expected a receipt when buying used.

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #26 of 30
Well, I hold my hands up and admit maybe I'm in the wrong here then. My naive/false belief that receipts go with purchases is why I wanted the receipt. I wanted the option of selling the Edition 8 while still in warranty and believed this was not possible if I couldn't give the buyer a receipt for warranty purposes.

I still think if the seller just explained his reasoning to me instead of making me out to be a potential identity thief then I wouldn't have made such a big deal out of this.

I'm guessing if you find a copy of the Edition 8 warranty terms (Ultrasone probably has it on their website), it probably precludes transfer of the warranty.

I also did not mean to speak for someone else - was simply offering my take on the situation. If it were me, I'd absolutely refuse to give you my purchase invoices. For the above reasons. That may or may not be their reasoning; maybe they are just a bit nutty, who knows. But at least it's an explanation that looks for the good in people, not the evil - and that's enough for me to get to sleep.

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #28 of 30
I've bought stuff second hand before and got a receipt as well. I just tell the retailer when I send them in for warranty that my address has changed.

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #29 of 30
I'm not even commenting on if you are right or wrong in this situation because I'd need to know more facts, but I just wanted to give you a commendation for simply being open to the possibility that you might be wrong. That open-mindedness deserves a lot of credit because too few people are like that, and if you don't point it out as a good thing people will lose desire to act that way. Cheers.

Quote:

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:
I would never send receipts - they contain too much personal information. Persistently asking for one is more suspicious to me than a seller refusing to send one, though it sounds like your intentions aren't to extract information from one.
Also, you need to verify that the warranty is transferable from buyer to buyer, because if it isn't the receipt is pointless regardless.

There's is no need for you to feel embarrassed, and if there is, then I will admit to having the same thoughts that you expressed.  In fact, just before relocating from Canada to move to Hong Kong about three years ago, I bought a new laptop with a lot of discounts due to trade-ins, coupons, and 24-hour sale promotion.  The price was so good that instead of returning the computer to get a refund (I didn't want to worry about warranty issues if I brought it to Hong Kong with me), I listed it on the website that helped me find the deal in the first place "RedFlagDeals.com" to see if anyone that missed the deal could have mine for the full price.  As soon as I listed, I sold it and I gave my receipt to the buyer so that he would still have the option to return it if he wished.  Like you, I figured that the credit card information was blocked out so no worries on my end.  I guess now we know better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back