TPA6120 amp group buy
Aug 28, 2004 at 9:03 AM Post #17 of 57
Aug 29, 2004 at 8:00 AM Post #18 of 57
Why the second stage is operated inverting. since the first stage is non inverting the resultant output of this amp will be 180 deg out of phase with its input since absolute phase is important to some and there is no way to reverse that since the polarity of the RCA input and the headphone output. Just a thought. Otherwise quite a nice idea

Aug 29, 2004 at 10:42 AM Post #19 of 57
I wanted a high impedance buffer AND the lowest distortion possible from the TPA6120, therefore I chose the inverting mode for the TPA6120. I'm fully aware of that this amp is an inverting amp without any possibilities to change this. Fortunately I'm not a believer of the absolute phase.

I must add though, that it's rather easy to convert the TPA6120 to non-inverting mode.

Partslist can be download now. Please notice that I have changed the design a bit so download the other files again so they match the partslist.
http://www.sjostromaudio.com/hifi_fi...qrv07r0xls.zip

Aug 29, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #20 of 57
thanks i was just woundering why you made the second stage inverting. I know that due to no Common mode capacitence in inverting config's as opposed to non inverting that THD will be lower.
as far as absolute phase is concerned your cxorrect its really somthing some people obsess way much over. I sometimes think i can tell the difference using thew phase switch on Grado HP-1 (Not Mine BTW) and just when i think i haear somthing i find that it is not consistent, besides how can we know that absolute phase is maintained throughtout the recording chain.
BTW i was not being critical of your design just asking a few questions

Sep 22, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #23 of 57
What do you think?
qrv07pcbsold.jpg

qrv07pcbcomp.jpg

Sep 22, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #27 of 57
These points simply link the top of the board (power pad) to the copper on the bottom thermally. Ideally it should be wave soldiered to soldier the power pad directly to the heatsink.

When i build my circuit i intend to use some themal epox resin to bond the powerpad to the surface and then only soldier the legs.

Btw peranders, the picture isn't detailed enough so I may be wrong, but on the bottom of the board it doesn't look like thepowerpad legs are directly touching the groundplane. I believe the datasheet said to put the vias directly in contact with the board and not have that little star that is used in a lot of groundplanes to make soldiering easier.

Sep 23, 2004 at 7:08 AM Post #29 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric343
Oh, wow!

I may have to pull my hot-air SMD station out of storage.

That's quite a project, though... how much for a full kit?

Thank you guys!

It's not particular expensive. Just download the partslist and calculate. (You could always get samples from texas and AD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back