Tower Records - The end of an era
Dec 11, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #76 of 85
Sounds like I'll head over to Tower tonight for some music and one last farewell.
frown.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #77 of 85
Yup, folks this is it. The last few remaining days Towers will remain open for business as they will shut their doors for good come this Friday the 15th (at least for the store in my area).

Dec 27, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #79 of 85
After going to Tower Records for nearly 30 years, I have trolled the two SF stores a couple times over the last weeks to find any deals, and also just for the nostalgia. I happened into the Stonestown Tower during its final HOUR on December 21st. All CDs were marked down to 50 cents and even though the selection was mostly grim I managed to find 33 titles for a grand total of $17. Some were records I actually wanted, and some were just for the fun of it (such as Dog Fashion Disco). Some were just cool imports that originally ran as high as $29.99. At the time, it seemed like a ton of stuff but now I wish I had picked up even more. Anyway, here is the spread with a final image that seemed appropriate.

Christmas_2006_013.jpg

Christmas_2006_014.jpg

Christmas_2006_015.jpg

Christmas_2006_0131.jpg

Dec 27, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #80 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I managed to find 33 titles for a grand total of $17.

Nice haul, Al!

Last week the all the stores on the Peninsula closed: San Mateo, San Jose, Campbell and Mountain View (on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday respectively). I made it in to all but San Jose on closing day, when all CDs were $1. Spent about $20 in each store, so you can imagine I've got quite a load.

Things were very picked over, but was still able to find things that were interesting because they had a musician or two that I recognized, were on a label that I liked, or just plain looked interesting. Some of my favorite finds were things that I literally knew nothing about but turned out to be awesome albums, like More Beautiful than Death by the Either/Orchestra and The Peace Between Our Companies by Happy Apple.

While I'm going to miss Tower, I certainly have enjoyed their demise, and now have enough new music to keep me occupied well into 2007. In other news, Rasputin's is going to lease the Mtn. View Tower location, so there will at least be one decent record store on the peninsula.

Dec 27, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #81 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice haul, Al!

Last week the all the stores on the Peninsula closed: San Mateo, San Jose, Campbell and Mountain View (on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday respectively). I made it in to all but San Jose on closing day, when all CDs were $1. Spent about $20 in each store, so you can imagine I've got quite a load.

Things were very picked over, but was still able to find things that were interesting because they had a musician or two that I recognized, were on a label that I liked, or just plain looked interesting. Some of my favorite finds were things that I literally knew nothing about but turned out to be awesome albums, like More Beautiful than Death by the Either/Orchestra and The Peace Between Our Companies by Happy Apple.

While I'm going to miss Tower, I certainly have enjoyed their demise, and now have enough new music to keep me occupied well into 2007. In other news, Rasputin's is going to lease the Mtn. View Tower location, so there will at least be one decent record store on the peninsula.

I know you made some good finds from your earlier post and I was bummed to find literally nothing in the tiny remaining jazz selection worth buying. My daughter loves a disc by Lotus that I put in her stocking and I am looking forward to sampling the rest. God is a Moog has me intrigued so it will be fun to check them all out. Have fun with your haul!

Dec 27, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #82 of 85
I hit them for about 150 CDs, but not in the last days. I picked up a wealth of great jazz and classic rock.

Dec 27, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #83 of 85
I got somewhere around 50 CDs, a good portion at the very end. In retrospect I would have got a few more that were there even on the second to last day, but too late now.

Dec 27, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #84 of 85
I really have mixed views about this as I was a former Tower Records employee here in Toronto, Canada. In the time I was there, we had the best Classical dept. in the entire city. Over time, politics were coming into play, & certain staff members including myself were let go. We knew what was going on, but had no proof & really couldn't do anything. We had a great crew at Tower Toronto & had alot of fun despite that. We knew our stuff too as I worked in the classical dept. Oh well, time marches on. We actually had 2 stores in Toronto which was pretty good

May 30, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #85 of 85
It was announced on the news this morning that Sam The Record Man will be closing it's flagship store at the end of June. It's been a landmark on Toronto's Yonge Street since 1937 and a mecca for music lovers since the days of 78 rpm records. Apparently CD sales are down 30% in Canada this year and Sam Sniderman's two sons who have been running the business in recent years have decided to throw in the towel. It will be sorely missed. There has been a local movement started to save Sam's well known neon sign as a historical landmark.

I think I'll stop by the store tomorrow to take some photos and pay my last respects.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...5&postcount=54

Users who are viewing this thread

Back