Tower Records - The end of an era
Oct 9, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #46 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
I was watching the news out of Sacramento and they said that today (Sunday) CD's were 50% off. Can anyone confirm this? Would they really jump from 10% to 50% off in one day? They have 10 weeks...

I bet he was just misinformed, typical of the media.

Doesn't sound right to me unless it was a specific store or only Sunday... something like that.

Oct 10, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #47 of 85
anyone see this closed thread:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202622

I think the best part about Mr. Angry at Tower, is that he has a quote they love in his sig, "no music, no life".

Isn't that a Tower trademark or something?

tower.jpg

483871369X.09._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1122554974_.jpg

Oct 10, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #48 of 85
don't think you're going to see deep discounts. Right now it's 10 percent on CD's higher discounts on books.
Only because a liquidator bought them out. (They could also be called Job Lot buyers, buying last season's fashions, job overruns or goods that were rejected from the original buyer, for example)

Oct 10, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #49 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
anyone see this closed thread:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202622

I think the best part about Mr. Angry at Tower, is that he has a quote they love in his sig, "no music, no life".

I had some good riddens once. Delightful with some fava beans and a nice chianti...

I didn't even read the post because he couldn't spell riddance and I could tell he didn't have anything worth saying.

I went to Tower today and still found all music/DVDs at 10% off, but magazines and books at 30%. The long-time Tower clerk told me that the next bump in discounts will be tomorrow, but music will only go to 15-20% off at this point. They will play itsy-bitsy-spider with the discounts until the stores are nearly empty. Sad.

Oct 10, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #50 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
I had some good riddens once. Delightful with some fava beans and a nice chianti...

I didn't even read the post because he couldn't spell riddance and I could tell he didn't have anything worth saying.

I went to Tower today and still found all music/DVDs at 10% off, but magazines and books at 30%. The long-time Tower clerk told me that the next bump in discounts will be tomorrow, but music will only go to 15-20% off at this point. They will play itsy-bitsy-spider with the discounts until the stores are nearly empty. Sad.

That's fine... we like enough esoteric music that we can probably get some good deals on something other than the Star 101.3 favorites
wink.gif
just have to wait a bit
plainface.gif

Oct 11, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #51 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
That's fine... we like enough esoteric music that we can probably get some good deals on something other than the Star 101.3 favorites
wink.gif
just have to wait a bit
plainface.gif

My thoughts exactly. Of course, I bought 3 of the 12 LPs they had in the whole store. Those wouldn't have lasted, or maybe they would have!
cool.gif

I forgot to add my PS, not intended to rub it in or anything, that we will miss meeting you on Saturday at the Marin meet.
frown.gif
Plan ahead for April 20-22, 2007, that's all I'm saying. Oh, and one or your favorite amp makers is trying to be there this saturday, but if he cannot make it he is planning to make a trip before the end of the year for another meet of sorts. I'll keep you informed...
wink.gif

Oct 11, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #52 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
My thoughts exactly. Of course, I bought 3 of the 12 LPs they had in the whole store. Those wouldn't have lasted, or maybe they would have!
cool.gif

I forgot to add my PS, not intended to rub it in or anything, that we will miss meeting you on Saturday at the Marin meet.
frown.gif
Plan ahead for April 20-22, 2007, that's all I'm saying. Oh, and one or your favorite amp makers is trying to be there this saturday, but if he cannot make it he is planning to make a trip before the end of the year for another meet of sorts. I'll keep you informed...
wink.gif

I've already saved the date! Also I have an Expedition so if you need my vehicle help for anything on the Sat of the meet let me know!

Oct 11, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #53 of 85
Yup, definitely sad to see Tower go. I can still remember the first time I stepped into their store when they still had vinyl LPs and cassette tapes in their bins and on their shelves. They definitely weren't the cheapest, but they did carry a lot of the harder to find items and imports that other music stores here locally didn't or wouldn't bother to special order them. Currently at 10% off the lowest marked price on cds there's still a lot of inventory. I suspect this won't be so as the weeks go by and the discounts increases a little. At 30% off all books and magazines, the book/magazine section at the Tower stores here had most of it's selection picked thru as of yesterday.

Oct 11, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #54 of 85
Reading through this thread brings back memories of two Toronto music retail fixtures and national chains, Sam The Record Man and A&A Records. Their main stores were next to each other on Yonge Street for as long as I remember. If one store didn't have what you were looking for, the other probably did. Sam's first opened in the late 40's or early 50's and it's founder, Sam Sniderman was a huge influence on the Canadian music industry and still is a local celebrity. His old store was full of autographed photos of Sam with practically every pop musician and band you could think of ... including Elvis and the Beatles. Every year on Boxing Day ( the day after Christmas when Canadian retailers drastically discount their wares ) everyone would head down to Sam's with their Christmas money for amazing deals. The lineup would run down the street and around the corner for the entire day. Whenever any of us had a few bucks to blow, we'd spend hours pouring over the tens of thousands of LPs housed in those two stores.

Both companies grew into large national chains during the 70's and 80's but when England's HMV chain opened in Canada in the early 90's, A&A and it's 400 stores ( that's the equivalent to 4,000 stores in the U.S.) as well as Sam's national franchise stores all went out of business. Sam Sniderman did manage to save the original store and it's still going today, run by his son Jason.

Those who have grown up in a CD-order online, and more-so, mp3-download world, probably can't understand the nostalgia we old geezers feel when businesses like Tower Records or Sam The Record Man .... stores which were a huge part of every music-lover's life .... suddenly cease to exist.

Samqus-and-AandAqus.jpg

Oct 11, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #55 of 85
store3.jpeg

about Tower Records......... .com

"In 1960, long-time music buff Russ Solomon (pictured above, 1964) had a sound idea -- he started selling records out of his father’s drugstore, located in the town of Sacramento, California. It didn’t take long for Mr. Solomon to make Tower Records a household name, and today Tower stands as a leader in the music industry: from humble beginnings an American pioneer arose to promote emerging artists and established stars."

-

store4.jpeg

The first proper Tower Records retail location, "Tower Record Mart."
July, 1960
16th and Broadway, Sacramento, CA

from Tower Museum online

Oct 24, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #57 of 85
FYI

I was at the Tower near Lincoln Center yesterday. Everything is now 20% off. They still had a pretty decent selection of DVDs and pop CDs, but the Classical section, especially Opera, was pretty barren.

Oct 25, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #58 of 85
Every weekend they have people around town with signs reading the discount. It was 20-30%, not they say 20-40%. I am waiting till says just "40% off". Then I'll head back.

Nov 6, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #59 of 85
Heads up and a bump for this thread.

I hit the Tower in Torrance, California this morning and found all CDs at 30% off and some at 40% off. I managed to pick up a dozen SACDs and am pretty happy with the price.

The shelves are getting a little thin, so go to your local Tower before everything is gone.

Nov 6, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #60 of 85
Ya they had out the 30-50% off signs this weekend. I am waiting till the "50%+ off" signs appear! Maybe a couple more weeks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back