Tower Records - The end of an era
Nov 6, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #61 of 85
it's still quite sad for me...it's like the end of my childhood as my love for music and records and tapes was nurtured at the honolulu tower records (and froggies) near ala moana.

anyway, i spent a few minutes at the davis tower this past friday and it was still 30%...still too much, IMO...waiting for that 50% reduction.

Nov 12, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #62 of 85
This weekend they have signs all over town for their new sale, 40-70% Off. I went in and picked up some music, seeing as 40% off CD's is pretty damn good. They had magazines at 70% off, since they are mostly October and November issues (December stuff is already coming out). DVD's were also 40% off.

The funny thing was they had stuff from the store location itself for sale. Like newspaper ratings and stuff, where they got an award. So like a piece of paper (of history) in a frame for $15. If I really loved Tower I would have grabbed one, but to be honest I just liked the store, I never felt connected to it.

Hopefully next week will have 50+% off music. The seleciton is already getting rather thin, still some stuff was decent, like their selection of jazz. Still I grabbed the disc's I wanted, that they only had 1 left on the shelves. Don't want to miss it completely trying to get the best discount.

Nov 12, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #63 of 85
It was still 30% off at the one in Torrance, CA. I went by again today to see if the prices had dropped. Still, I picked up another four classical SACDs. The SACD stock is nearly gone, but I might go by one more time to troll the dregs and grab a few Red Book CDs.

Nov 12, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #64 of 85
note to self - perhaps drop by Tower to vulture tomorrow.

Nov 12, 2006 at 8:27 AM Post #65 of 85
I went to the Ala Moana Tower today and bought a Rod Stewart (Best Of) and Eagle Eye Cherry (Desireless) CD for only $7 each (30% off), along with Keane's Hopes and Fears SACD (MY first SACD!) for $13. I really love Tower and I'm sad to see them go but honestly even with the 30% off, some of the other CDs I wanted were still ridiculously overpriced. I wanted to pick up a copy of Nuff Sedd's album but it was still like $15. Not willing to pay that much for a standard redbook reggae album
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #66 of 85
That is so strange that the store up here would have different sales than the ones in your necks of the woods. Did anyone else's Tower have the 40-70% off sales this weekend?

Nov 12, 2006 at 10:41 AM Post #67 of 85
Mixed feelings.

Tower closed a giant store on Newbury Street, Boston, a number of years ago

Good sales on overstock items that other stores never would carry. Otherwise, some pretty high priced cd's.

Walmart and Best Buy for music ... God help us all!

There are a number of music stores in Boston. Except for Newbury Comics, the store are empty. EMPTY!

Nov 12, 2006 at 10:45 AM Post #68 of 85
Oh wow, i missed this whole topic completely
I've only been to one tower while i was in america, but i heard so much about it, people from every country seems to know about it
frown.gif

Well, everything was a bit overpriced and i only bought a few cds.. Still cheaper than cds here

ps. anyone wanna pick up bitches brew and live evil for me?

Nov 12, 2006 at 12:49 PM Post #69 of 85
Selection is getting rather slim with some generes of music nearly wiped out. There are still a few dvds I want to get before Tower shuts down, but like everyone else I'm waiting for their next slash in price before I make a move.

Nov 12, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #70 of 85
Quote:

Tim Pohl, an attorney representing Trans World, asked the judge whether $500,000 was "a material enough difference" to liquidate a company, as opposed to keeping thousands of people employed.

Good Question.

Nov 13, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #71 of 85
the village in NYC had 10 percent off on top of the 30-60 for sat and sun - yes, i picked up two import CD singles for 70 percent off!

and my first dual disc for only 13 - REM's "Document." I don't even have a DVD-A player, I am a sucker. Oh, and a 200 Gram Vinyl - http://store.acousticsounds.com/brow...&section=music

It plays BEAUTIFULLY on my new vinyl rig, so that was totally worth it at 30 percent off! They also had 180 gram of some Flaming Lips "War of the Mystics" and Green Day's "American Idiot" but the wallet stretches only so far. All in all, a productive day at Tower. DOH forgot to ask about the gear in the DJ booth! They DID say that everything was on sale in there, including the furniture!

Dec 10, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #73 of 85
Stopped by Tower Records in Massapequa,Picked up 4 cds at 60%off,still alot to choose from.Saw people with baskets full of Cds.

Dec 10, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #74 of 85
I was in Tower, Irvine last night, and the girl in front of me bought a boatload of CDs, and according to the manager behind the register saved over $2,000!! Turned out that she was opening up a music store of some sort and was picking up Rap CDs which were priced down from $16.99 - $19.99 for $1.50 each. Oh if only I liked Rap
eggosmile.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #75 of 85
I hit the Tower in Mtn. View, CA over the weekend...total score. All CDs are 60% off now, and things that they have way too much stock in are just $2. While that would be no big deal in a typical tower, the jazz buyer at the Mtn. View store was hardcore...good avant garde selection (2nd only to Amoeba in the Bay Area), and he must've been a huge Oscar Peterson and McCoy Tyner fan, because there was still at least 20 titles left from each guy in multiple copies, including a few of Peterson's SACDs on MPS. Lots of stuff from the ECM, Cryptogramaphone, and Winter & Winter labels also.

For $2, they had the latest discs from Trio Beyond (a double!), Charles Lloyd, Peter Apfelbaum, Dr. Lonnie Smith, Hank Jones, Taylor Eigsti, Uri Caine, and every CD ever from Six Degrees Records (world/techno type of stuff, like Cheb i Sabbah and Bebel Giberto).

My luckiest Tower score so far: the Alexander von Schlippenbach Trio's Swingin' the BIM, a double CD with Paul Lovens and Evan Parker on FMP: 40% off from the Tower in Fresno, CA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back