TOUR CLOSED - DITA Audio - Dream US Demo CIEM Tour (Limited Review Tour, Starting July 2017)
Apr 25, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #137 of 137
I'll go ahead and post my impressions here. I listened extensively to the Dita Dream via an Apex Glacier amp and 5.5 gen ipod with wolfson chip-- a slightly warm overall sound with more power than a stand-alone DAP.

The Dita Dream sounds great initially. Dita tunes their iems to sound like a 2ch stereo set-up they enjoy. This means a particular V-shape sound, bright, but with bass as well.

The bass is a high point for the Dream. It is more tipped to the midbass versus the subbass, but with very good extension. It's an example of how a dynamic driver iem can give realistic sounding bass.

The mids are a little on the thinner side, but with my set-up and preferences, this wasn't an issue for me. At first, the impressions were good, but this changed a bit as I listened more.

The treble is boosted in the frequency response. The advantages of this are to give an initial sense of greater clarity, and to spotlight some aspects of music, such as the thrash of rock guitars and the shimmer of classical violins. However, it can be harsh, and those sensitive to it should avoid the Dream.

As I spent a little long-form listening with the Dream, some issues came to light for me.

First, a little more time let me parse detail retrieval from how the treble emphasis gives an illusion of clarity. I found the detail of the Truth/Answer to be lacking in a $1,000 iem. The Dream is lacking for a $2,000 iem. For $1,000 it would be okay. It seems fast for a DD, but a step behind the $1,000 Sennheiser IE800S in real clarity.

The second thing is that the Dream has some midrange suckout. The treble peak may spotlight parts of music as I mentioned, but the midrange dip balances this by losing things. This is easy to note when compared directly with other higher end iems.

I enjoy the Dream as an upper level dynamic driver. However, I think it will be the right iem for those who really enjoy its signature sound and aren't bothered by its weak points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back