TOUR CLOSED - Advanced Acousticwerkes US CIEM Demo Lineup Tour - W900, W500, plus two surprises >>> Starting March 2017
Jun 2, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #151 of 340
Looking forward to trying out the AAW lineup! One week closer..

-

On another note, their CS so far seems to be away on some sort of vacation:frowning2: I do feel badfor posting here on a slight tangent, but hoping I can find some contact for an AAW rep here.
I've had custom IEMs before and have never truly been 100% happy with them in terms of value, but decided to take a chance again looking for a fairly priced everyday-use IEM to take with me to school -- this is where the A3H caught my eye.

I spoke to their customer service a few weeks ago (~20 days?) and they confirmed that they'd be able to reshell a second hand A3H for me via ownership transfer service. As a result, I purchased an A3H from another user on Head-Fi.org, and had him send the unit over to AAW's office. AAW noted all of this and acknowledged that the other user would be sending the IEM in. I had a few more questions which I sent on May 15th, but haven't had a response since. I decided not to bother them as they were probably just a little too busy to respond.

However, it had been about 17 days and still no response. After the A3H for reshell had been delivered to their office just this past Monday, I decided to send another email asking if they arrived safely... it's been about 4 days since and it doesn't seem anyone's seeing my messages. I did feel really bad for sending another message, but right now I'm without any IEM (it's at AAW's office) and minus a hundred plus dollars. Friends encouraged me to try contacting via Facebook, since it appears as if they reply instantly there; but turns out it's just an autoreply bot working their Facebook messenger.

Hoping to find a solution or some form of contact I can reach AAW at (~3 weeks, 2 emails, 1 FB message without response)... heard great things about the A3H and was hoping to make it my daily IEM.
AAW just did a massdrop on the A3H v2 - bought one for my wife - so they are swamped trying to manage this large mass order. I can tell you that the A3H is an awesome CIEM - or obviously I wouldn't have gotten one for my wife - so it will be worth the wait. Can't speak to the response rate, but know that with our order it is taking anywhere from a day to a couple of weeks for a response. Waiting for these CIEMs in process feels like an eternity, but once you have them and get lost in the musical bliss, you will forget all about it except for the upgraditus urge. :relieved:

Jun 2, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #152 of 340
AAW just did a massdrop on the A3H v2 - bought one for my wife - so they are swamped trying to manage this large mass order. I can tell you that the A3H is an awesome CIEM - or obviously I wouldn't have gotten one for my wife - so it will be worth the wait. Can't speak to the response rate, but know that with our order it is taking anywhere from a day to a couple of weeks for a response. Waiting for these CIEMs in process feels like an eternity, but once you have them and get lost in the musical bliss, you will forget all about it except for the upgraditus urge. :relieved:

I don't think it very fair of you Barra, you bought yourself and $3000+ one and bought your wife a $300+ one:beyersmile:

Jun 2, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #153 of 340
I don't think it very fair of you Barra, you bought yourself and $3000+ one and bought your wife a $300+ one:beyersmile:
She is rough on her stuff, she will be through 10 of them this year so she will cost me more than my one purchase within a year. :unamused: Should have bought her a six pack to save some time.

Just kiddin, but she is likely to go through at least one a year and numerous cables.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #154 of 340
She is rough on her stuff, she will be through 10 of them this year so she will cost me more than my one purchase within a year. :unamused: Should have bought her a six pack to save some time.

Just kiddin, but she is likely to go through at least one a year and numerous cables.

And that's not even counting shoes!

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #157 of 340
East coast tour package on its way to @Ike1985 as of this morning. The W900 was a joy to listen too. Thanks to AAW for doing this and thanks to @Barra for taking the time to organize this. I'll post some W900 thoughts later today or tomorrow.
Anxious to hear them.

Jun 6, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #158 of 340
Copying and pasting my W900 thoughts from another site:

I just shipped off the AAW tour demos. While the other models didn't really do anything for me, the W900 is pretty special. It's going on the list. Here are some thoughts from my loaner:

The AAW W900 has a polite, yet engaging signature that makes for an excellent all rounder. It sounds pretty even, without any noticeable spikes or peaks in treble, however treble does sound shelved down compare to the rest of the frequency response. This makes the signature a bit bassier than expected. While listening in a quite environment, for critical listening, I find myself wishing for a bit less bass but when on the go, in noisier environs, the bass levels are very welcome. Overall the signature sort of reminds me of a bassier UERR, due to the shelved down treble, yet the W900 treble presence is better than I remember from the UERR and it certainly doesn’t sound quite as midcentric either. Ok, maybe it doesn’t really remind of a bassier UERR. Regardless, the W900 simply sounds fantastic.

Vs Campfire Andromeda
Andromeda is much more sensitive and doesn’t take anywhere near as much turn of the dap volume wheel to get to the same loudness. After adjusting volumes, the first noticeable difference is the more palpable nature of the W900’s dynamic driver. It feels fuller and lingers longer but seems to only be just a little more boosted overall. Andromeda is U shaped signature, so while it’s midrange is pretty even and flat, it’s slightly behind the bass. Conversely the W900 doesn’t dip thru the lower midrange, producing a fuller, more intimate sounding midrange. This bass and midrange response give the W900 its fuller, richer, warmer note and tone. Compared to Andromeda, the W900 has noticeably less treble presence. It sounds more laid back and relaxed. While it still has good treble resolution and extension, it definitely requires more concentration next to Andromeda, which sounds airier, more resolving and more forward in treble detail. Andromeda sounds a good bit wider left to right, as well as a bit taller overall, while both sound quite similar in depth. While Andromeda excels in spaciousness, in comparison the W900 sounds a little more forward and intimate.

Vs InEar ProPhile-8
The PP8 is noticeable leaner and more neutral sounding. While extending quite deep in bass, the PP8 bass is leaner, less warm and faster sounding. Even though the W900 bass sounds pretty even across the spectrum, the amount of boost is quite evident when comparing with something much more reference like the PP8. Moving through the midrange, the PP8 again sounds more even through the midrange. Female vocals have more energy and male vocals sound less full and chesty. W900 vocals sound more lower midrange focused, less energetic and less in your face. Treble timbre between the two is pretty similar while presence between the two is slightly different, with the PP8 sounding brighter overall. Width between the two sounds pretty similar but the PP8 sounds much more upfront. While the W900 sounds further away, it also sound much noticeably deeper in stage.

The W900 demos are pretty small and it’s quite easy to achieve very comfortable fit. The cable reminds me somewhat of the Campfilre stock litz cable. However the AAW cable feels a bit cheaper and less well made, and the plastic stress reliefs after the memory section seem completely unnecessary on an otherwise very likable and practical cable. Minor complaints aside, this cable is much preferable to typical stock cables. If I didn’t already own the Andromeda and PP8, I would definitely put the W900 on my shortlist. It’s easily the best hybrid in-ear I’ve heard to date and really just sounds fantastic overall. My understanding is that the full custom may sound a hair bassier/warmer than the demo, which is also the AAW universal housing. Considering how easy it was to get a good fit and my preferences for more neutral signatures, I suspect the full custom might be a bit much for me in bass. If I were to buy, I'd definitely go with the universal.

Jun 6, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #159 of 340
Copying and pasting my W900 thoughts from another site:

I just shipped off the AAW tour demos. While the other models didn't really do anything for me, the W900 is pretty special. It's going on the list. Here are some thoughts from my loaner:

The AAW W900 has a polite, yet engaging signature that makes for an excellent all rounder. It sounds pretty even, without any noticeable spikes or peaks in treble, however treble does sound shelved down compare to the rest of the frequency response. This makes the signature a bit bassier than expected. While listening in a quite environment, for critical listening, I find myself wishing for a bit less bass but when on the go, in noisier environs, the bass levels are very welcome. Overall the signature sort of reminds me of a bassier UERR, due to the shelved down treble, yet the W900 treble presence is better than I remember from the UERR and it certainly doesn’t sound quite as midcentric either. Ok, maybe it doesn’t really remind of a bassier UERR. Regardless, the W900 simply sounds fantastic.

Vs Campfire Andromeda
Andromeda is much more sensitive and doesn’t take anywhere near as much turn of the dap volume wheel to get to the same loudness. After adjusting volumes, the first noticeable difference is the more palpable nature of the W900’s dynamic driver. It feels fuller and lingers longer but seems to only be just a little more boosted overall. Andromeda is U shaped signature, so while it’s midrange is pretty even and flat, it’s slightly behind the bass. Conversely the W900 doesn’t dip thru the lower midrange, producing a fuller, more intimate sounding midrange. This bass and midrange response give the W900 its fuller, richer, warmer note and tone. Compared to Andromeda, the W900 has noticeably less treble presence. It sounds more laid back and relaxed. While it still has good treble resolution and extension, it definitely requires more concentration next to Andromeda, which sounds airier, more resolving and more forward in treble detail. Andromeda sounds a good bit wider left to right, as well as a bit taller overall, while both sound quite similar in depth. While Andromeda excels in spaciousness, in comparison the W900 sounds a little more forward and intimate.

Vs InEar ProPhile-8
The PP8 is noticeable leaner and more neutral sounding. While extending quite deep in bass, the PP8 bass is leaner, less warm and faster sounding. Even though the W900 bass sounds pretty even across the spectrum, the amount of boost is quite evident when comparing with something much more reference like the PP8. Moving through the midrange, the PP8 again sounds more even through the midrange. Female vocals have more energy and male vocals sound less full and chesty. W900 vocals sound more lower midrange focused, less energetic and less in your face. Treble timbre between the two is pretty similar while presence between the two is slightly different, with the PP8 sounding brighter overall. Width between the two sounds pretty similar but the PP8 sounds much more upfront. While the W900 sounds further away, it also sound much noticeably deeper in stage.

The W900 demos are pretty small and it’s quite easy to achieve very comfortable fit. The cable reminds me somewhat of the Campfilre stock litz cable. However the AAW cable feels a bit cheaper and less well made, and the plastic stress reliefs after the memory section seem completely unnecessary on an otherwise very likable and practical cable. Minor complaints aside, this cable is much preferable to typical stock cables. If I didn’t already own the Andromeda and PP8, I would definitely put the W900 on my shortlist. It’s easily the best hybrid in-ear I’ve heard to date and really just sounds fantastic overall. My understanding is that the full custom may sound a hair bassier/warmer than the demo, which is also the AAW universal housing. Considering how easy it was to get a good fit and my preferences for more neutral signatures, I suspect the full custom might be a bit much for me in bass. If I were to buy, I'd definitely go with the universal.

Nice impressions!

I personally really enjoyed the W900 musical approach to a reasonably balanced signature with a superior bass response. Even though the headfi conversation is focused on the dynamic bass driver, I thought that AAW did a really good job on the treble providing extreme extension without the sibilance..I'm one of those the do not like added shimmer or sparkle as it sounds artificial preferring AAW's treble integration into the whole for better coherence, resolution, and texturing. Didn't hit me just how much I enjoyed W900 until after I shipped it out and immediately started missing it.

Wish there was a way to hear the W900 custom vs. the universal, but in my experience with other CIEMs that I have compared universal vs. custom - NT6pro/A18 - I have found that the additional bass you are talking about isn't necessarily a warmer signature, but a deeper more powerful dive into the sub-bass region for much more extension and more rumble which are both preferable to me. The other thing that custom does for me is provide a more consistent performance not requiring adjustment. So IMO, unless you are looking to have a CIEM that you can easily sell down the road, at the same price - I would always go custom for the additional performance.

Jun 6, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #160 of 340
Nice impressions!

I personally really enjoyed the W900 musical approach to a reasonably balanced signature with a superior bass response. Even though the headfi conversation is focused on the dynamic bass driver, I thought that AAW did a really good job on the treble providing extreme extension without the sibilance..I'm one of those the do not like added shimmer or sparkle as it sounds artificial preferring AAW's treble integration into the whole for better coherence, resolution, and texturing. Didn't hit me just how much I enjoyed W900 until after I shipped it out and immediately started missing it.

Wish there was a way to hear the W900 custom vs. the universal, but in my experience with other CIEMs that I have compared universal vs. custom - NT6pro/A18 - I have found that the additional bass you are talking about isn't necessarily a warmer signature, but a deeper more powerful dive into the sub-bass region for much more extension and more rumble which are both preferable to me. The other thing that custom does for me is provide a more consistent performance not requiring adjustment. So IMO, unless you are looking to have a CIEM that you can easily sell down the road, at the same price - I would always go custom for the additional performance.

I agree that difference between custom and universal are usually rather small. My experience is usually better bass texturing in the custom, due to better seal, and on occassion a slightly reduced peak, due to deeper fit. The W900 is right up on the bass quantity border for me, so I personally wouldn't want to risk pushing it over. Besides I love the ease of universals, especially when comparing with international refits and shipping costs. Plus the AAW uni shell fits me great! But I pretty much agree with what you are saying. It's great that manufacturers are more and more providing both uni and custom options.

Jun 7, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #162 of 340
Open it up, what are you waiting for! Lol

Jun 8, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #164 of 340
Life gets in the the way sometimes, bro. Meetings at work. Kids driving mama cray-cray. Cleaning up the house. You know, the usual suspects

Headphones are especially useful when cleaning the house! :) But I hear ya bro!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back