TOUR CLOSED - 64 Audio US CIEM Demo Tour - Trio and 12t >>> Starting March 2018
Jul 3, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #227 of 286
Cool! Can't wait!

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #228 of 286
Just got home to my 64Audio package!

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #230 of 286
Received my kit today, thanks.
Checked contents, everything looks fine.

Jul 21, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #231 of 286
My thoughts on the Trio's and U12t from the tour.
Source was my DX200 with Amp 8 (Amp burned in for over 300 hours).
Trio vs. U12t - U12t hits harder, more punch in the bottom end. Not sure, but I may have detected a mid bass bump on the U12t, but bass sounds did not bleed into mids in either case. Trio had deeper bass but without as much impact as 12t, but to me, they sounded more natural and highly addictive. I guess I’m a sucker for a well-tuned Dynamic driver. U12t has more details up top, Trio not as much but again, just sounds more natural. Treble is well extended on both but with the U12t having more detail and sparkle. Cymbals sounded great on both. Both had great mids that are clear and well defined, male and female vocals sounded great on each earphone.

Both benefit from extra power. Throwing high gain, U12t sounds almost 3D. Notes seem to last a split second longer, sound vibrations just seem to last longer, giving the sound an extra dimension that would normally be only hinted at, for a very addictive and spacious sound.

The Trio also benefits but not to the same degree. I preferred the Trio for the naturalness it presented but I can see how most people reading this would prefer the U12t.

Brief comparisons to earphones I own:

Both Trio and U12t’s vs. Campfire Audio Andromeda’s - With the Andromada’s, going from the 64’s, the first thing one notices is almost a closed in feeling, going from one to the one. The soundstage seems to decrease, as if going from a big concert hall, to a smoky midsize concert hall. Don't get me wrong, it’s not a huge difference, but it is certainly very noticeable. Sound seems to be as deep and extended as the 64's but it is less wide. Trio seems to be warmer and more musical than the Campfire’s. Again, that natural bass just shines, while on the Campfire’s it seems less controlled (but more hard hitting, impact is like the U12t's. The Campfire's seem to have a thicker bass compared to either of the 64"s.

U12t's vs. U12's

U12t's have better resolution, bigger soundstage, bottom end is close on both,

Really obvious that the U12t's are a redone and improved version of the U12. U12t's have slightly more detail, better separation, bigger soundstage and better bass control, not that the original U12's were shabby at all. The U12t''S are an obvious improvement on an already great iem. At times the U12 sounded like it had better impact than the t's.

trio vs U12's

The bigger soundstage is the first thing one notices, and that natural big bass. Trio has slightly less details, but the notes are big, fat, and natural. Everything just sounds right with the Trio. Treble sounds about the same, but that's not the star of the show. The star is the big expansive sound stage (for an iem), the and naturalness in the bass. Nothing sounds artificial or forced, it sounds just right.

Trio vs Noble Encore -

Noble Encore are the improved version of the K10 or K10 redone. It's quite a remarkable earphone with an easygoing neutral sound. It also has a great high end, with nice details and extension. Trio is darker and not as resolving at the top end. It again kills it with the big soundstage and well-articulated bass/bottom end. I can see someone owning both. To my ears, the soundstage on the Encore is not far behind.

U12t vs Noble Encore – This is actually a fairly close match. The Encores love some juice, and given the right tips, can sound quite outstanding. U12t being warmer have a more relaxed sound with great mids. U12t hits harder at the bottom end. Encores are more neutral but also brighter. Detail retrieval is better on the U12t’s but not by much.

U12t Vs Noble Katana

I have to say the katana has been one of my favorite earphones ever since I got them, really surprise myself as I didn’t think I was that into a neutral and audiophile sound. The katana are clear, crisp, engaging and one hell of an earphone, well done Noble. The U12t is a great competitor.

The U12t has better extended bass. U12t has a warmer sound. Details sound better on the U12t as it seems slightly better extended at the high end as well.

Still they really aren’t that far apart and the katana still sounds more neutral and clear to my ears, even with the remarks above. It’s a bit brighter for one and clarity is excellent.

Trio vs Noble Katana-

Trio has more of a fun signature, that natural bottom end combined with a touch of warmth immediately get your attention. Compared to the Katana, Trio hits harder and is deeper. Extension at top end seems to be better as well. Detail seems to be about the same on both. Again, the katana holds its own with its clarity and razor-sharp presentation. I can see how some people would really dislike the Katana and love the Trio, and I can see people liking the Katana over the Trio as well. It all comes down to personal preference.

Technically both U12t and trio are better than both Noble’s, build quality, fit, and overall presentation is better with the 64’s.

From memory, U12t vs. U18t

I was given the opportunity to demo the U18t during the last Head-fi tour with U18t and Tia Fourte.

The U12t is the little brother of the U18t, doing about 95% of what the U18t does. Great extension, sparkle, detail, along with great clear bass and solid impact. The wow factor from listening to the U18t is still there, just not as much, with the U12t. If one can’t afford the high price of the U18t, selecting it’s little brother will get you pretty close to the same sound.

From memory, Tia Trio vs Tia Fourte

There are some greater differences than the little brother differences of the U12t/U18t.

I must say that when I had the Fourte for a demo I was blown away. To me the impactful bass and the detail and sparkly treble just made my V shaped heart pound. Yet the mids sounded perfect and the spaciousness of the sound was just amazing. They really sounded more like top TOTL headphones, then earphones.

The Trio on the other hand, is missing the Fourte’s sparkly treble, but the trio has better bass. I was impressed with the Fourte bass but not to the same degree as I am with the Trio. Again, the naturalness of the bass just really impressed me. From memory with the Fourte, both have the same big soundstage with the same extension in all directions.

My thanks go out to Barra for the hard work and time spent with this tour. Certainly a big effort especially with security issues.
Thanks as well to 64 Audio for providing the tour units and the patience with us Head-fi'ers.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #232 of 286
My thoughts on the Trio's and U12t from the tour.
Source was my DX200 with Amp 8 (Amp burned in for over 300 hours).
Trio vs. U12t - U12t hits harder, more punch in the bottom end. Not sure, but I may have detected a mid bass bump on the U12t, but bass sounds did not bleed into mids in either case. Trio had deeper bass but without as much impact as 12t, but to me, they sounded more natural and highly addictive. I guess I’m a sucker for a well-tuned Dynamic driver. U12t has more details up top, Trio not as much but again, just sounds more natural. Treble is well extended on both but with the U12t having more detail and sparkle. Cymbals sounded great on both. Both had great mids that are clear and well defined, male and female vocals sounded great on each earphone.

Both benefit from extra power. Throwing high gain, U12t sounds almost 3D. Notes seem to last a split second longer, sound vibrations just seem to last longer, giving the sound an extra dimension that would normally be only hinted at, for a very addictive and spacious sound.

The Trio also benefits but not to the same degree. I preferred the Trio for the naturalness it presented but I can see how most people reading this would prefer the U12t.

Brief comparisons to earphones I own:

Both Trio and U12t’s vs. Campfire Audio Andromeda’s - With the Andromada’s, going from the 64’s, the first thing one notices is almost a closed in feeling, going from one to the one. The soundstage seems to decrease, as if going from a big concert hall, to a smoky midsize concert hall. Don't get me wrong, it’s not a huge difference, but it is certainly very noticeable. Sound seems to be as deep and extended as the 64's but it is less wide. Trio seems to be warmer and more musical than the Campfire’s. Again, that natural bass just shines, while on the Campfire’s it seems less controlled (but more hard hitting, impact is like the U12t's. The Campfire's seem to have a thicker bass compared to either of the 64"s.

U12t's vs. U12's

U12t's have better resolution, bigger soundstage, bottom end is close on both,

Really obvious that the U12t's are a redone and improved version of the U12. U12t's have slightly more detail, better separation, bigger soundstage and better bass control, not that the original U12's were shabby at all. The U12t''S are an obvious improvement on an already great iem. At times the U12 sounded like it had better impact than the t's.

trio vs U12's

The bigger soundstage is the first thing one notices, and that natural big bass. Trio has slightly less details, but the notes are big, fat, and natural. Everything just sounds right with the Trio. Treble sounds about the same, but that's not the star of the show. The star is the big expansive sound stage (for an iem), the and naturalness in the bass. Nothing sounds artificial or forced, it sounds just right.

Trio vs Noble Encore -

Noble Encore are the improved version of the K10 or K10 redone. It's quite a remarkable earphone with an easygoing neutral sound. It also has a great high end, with nice details and extension. Trio is darker and not as resolving at the top end. It again kills it with the big soundstage and well-articulated bass/bottom end. I can see someone owning both. To my ears, the soundstage on the Encore is not far behind.

U12t vs Noble Encore – This is actually a fairly close match. The Encores love some juice, and given the right tips, can sound quite outstanding. U12t being warmer have a more relaxed sound with great mids. U12t hits harder at the bottom end. Encores are more neutral but also brighter. Detail retrieval is better on the U12t’s but not by much.

U12t Vs Noble Katana

I have to say the katana has been one of my favorite earphones ever since I got them, really surprise myself as I didn’t think I was that into a neutral and audiophile sound. The katana are clear, crisp, engaging and one hell of an earphone, well done Noble. The U12t is a great competitor.

The U12t has better extended bass. U12t has a warmer sound. Details sound better on the U12t as it seems slightly better extended at the high end as well.

Still they really aren’t that far apart and the katana still sounds more neutral and clear to my ears, even with the remarks above. It’s a bit brighter for one and clarity is excellent.

Trio vs Noble Katana-

Trio has more of a fun signature, that natural bottom end combined with a touch of warmth immediately get your attention. Compared to the Katana, Trio hits harder and is deeper. Extension at top end seems to be better as well. Detail seems to be about the same on both. Again, the katana holds its own with its clarity and razor-sharp presentation. I can see how some people would really dislike the Katana and love the Trio, and I can see people liking the Katana over the Trio as well. It all comes down to personal preference.

Technically both U12t and trio are better than both Noble’s, build quality, fit, and overall presentation is better with the 64’s.

From memory, U12t vs. U18t

I was given the opportunity to demo the U18t during the last Head-fi tour with U18t and Tia Fourte.

The U12t is the little brother of the U18t, doing about 95% of what the U18t does. Great extension, sparkle, detail, along with great clear bass and solid impact. The wow factor from listening to the U18t is still there, just not as much, with the U12t. If one can’t afford the high price of the U18t, selecting it’s little brother will get you pretty close to the same sound.

From memory, Tia Trio vs Tia Fourte

There are some greater differences than the little brother differences of the U12t/U18t.

I must say that when I had the Fourte for a demo I was blown away. To me the impactful bass and the detail and sparkly treble just made my V shaped heart pound. Yet the mids sounded perfect and the spaciousness of the sound was just amazing. They really sounded more like top TOTL headphones, then earphones.

The Trio on the other hand, is missing the Fourte’s sparkly treble, but the trio has better bass. I was impressed with the Fourte bass but not to the same degree as I am with the Trio. Again, the naturalness of the bass just really impressed me. From memory with the Fourte, both have the same big soundstage with the same extension in all directions.

My thanks go out to Barra for the hard work and time spent with this tour. Certainly a big effort especially with security issues.
Thanks as well to 64 Audio for providing the tour units and the patience with us Head-fi'ers.
Very insightful impressions!

Jul 31, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #236 of 286
Omg, I just realized that I’m next lol. How awesome is this. Thanks again @Barra and @BulldogXTRM fir everything.

Jul 31, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #238 of 286
East Coast kit on its way to @toaster22 & tracking info provided. Thanks again to @Barra

Spent most of my time with the U12t. Trio seems more musical, but at times I felt like it was too much, much like I felt with the Fourte. Bass on Trio does extends deeper than U12t, at times almost too much (is that possible?). On Q Lazzarus - Goodbye Horses, the sub-bass rumble felt like my brain was buzzing.

As stated by others, U12t gets you most of the way to U18t. I'd say 85%. Soundstage isn't AS wide, but still pretty wide. Resolution & layering is TOTL, just not 64 Audio's TOTL. Compared to my A12, soundstage is wider and it offers more details. U12t sounded more spacious with better 3D resolution & instrument placement. A12 sounded warmer, with vocals more forward. Keep in mind this is comparing universal U12t to CIEM A12. I was worried trying U12t would leave me with upgrade-itis, but I feel that they sound different enough that I don't feel the need to switch to get A12t. Still not really a fan of 64 Audio's universal shell though. I've always preferred the custom-type universal shell (eg. Unique Melody, Custom Art, InEar SD series). Then again, 64 Audio's universal line has always been rather meh in terms of shell design & build. Luckily they sound anything but meh.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #239 of 286
When I listened the last time, I liked the Trio best. I felt it was a wonderful presentation. Very open, but the closest to natural tonality for the 64 line. That's why I want some time with them as I will audition wiht my 10k Ayre QX5 DAC/Amp/ Streamer. I wish I had a pair of Pono balanced cables as THAT would be the coup de gras. I'll be using my AK380cu and matching amp, unless I get my offer before the IEM's show up. I have a couple of folks who have high interest, but we will see. Getting the AK1000cu instead.

Hi, noticed you have the EE Bravado, don’t mind sharing how u find them? =]

Bravado, for me, is the best under 700 IEM I've heard. It's my wife's as she had a nice pair of Sures, but neither of us enjoy the sound. Bravado is a fun IEM. Very open with plenty of extension on both ends. It's not a TOTL IEM but it gets you about 90% of the way there. Folks don't realize that once you get to 1k, the sound increases are incremental. The bass really tightened up after about 250 hours. Teh mids are right in the middle where I like them. Kind of like 1/3 of the way back in orchestra. If you have a good IEM/Speaker, it will sound good on all music. Sorry, but there isn't one IEM that is better for rock or one for jazz or one for choral or female vocals. A good IEM will always be a good IEM. They need to scale and when I go from iPhone to ak380cu to adding the amp to the Ayre QX5, it gets better and better. Honestly, I'd take the Bravado on the Ayre over most of the top IEM's on the iPhone or the lower priced DAP's (under 2500). Source and DAC is SOOOO important and most don't seem to realize that when I read what they use for source and DAC. That's just me, but if you get a nice IEM that is 'neutral' with good tone and decent extension and pair it with an AK1000cu or a bit warmer AK380cu with or without amp, they will sound glorious and folks will stop chasing their tails.

That's not good for the manufactures though :wink:.

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #240 of 286
East Coast kit on its way to @toaster22 & tracking info provided. Thanks again to @Barra

Spent most of my time with the U12t. Trio seems more musical, but at times I felt like it was too much, much like I felt with the Fourte. Bass on Trio does extends deeper than U12t, at times almost too much (is that possible?). On Q Lazzarus - Goodbye Horses, the sub-bass rumble felt like my brain was buzzing.

As stated by others, U12t gets you most of the way to U18t. I'd say 85%. Soundstage isn't AS wide, but still pretty wide. Resolution & layering is TOTL, just not 64 Audio's TOTL. Compared to my A12, soundstage is wider and it offers more details. U12t sounded more spacious with better 3D resolution & instrument placement. A12 sounded warmer, with vocals more forward. Keep in mind this is comparing universal U12t to CIEM A12. I was worried trying U12t would leave me with upgrade-itis, but I feel that they sound different enough that I don't feel the need to switch to get A12t. Still not really a fan of 64 Audio's universal shell though. I've always preferred the custom-type universal shell (eg. Unique Melody, Custom Art, InEar SD series). Then again, 64 Audio's universal line has always been rather meh in terms of shell design & build. Luckily they sound anything but meh.
That’s interesting you found te custom art universals to have better comfort. Out of all the universals I’ve tried, those were the most uncomfortable and I’m sure I couldn’t get the right sound out of them. I guess we all have different ear anatomy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back