TOTL System suggestions for metal music
Feb 28, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #17 of 27
Vektor, yeah, that name was making the rounds last year, but for perhaps all the wrong reasons.

I'll give them a spin.
Good art should be able to stand on its own. So if that is the case then I don't need to care who the artist is or what else they might have done. :wink:

Feb 28, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #18 of 27
Good art should be able to stand on its own. So if that is the case then I don't need to care who the artist is or what else they might have done. :wink:

Couldn't agree more. Also, it's nigh on impossible to gauge truth through the lens of the internet. However, the first time they hit the news was due to the band having 3 or the 4 members leave, I don't know the details. The second time the band name came up was for a personal matter. I didn't pay much attention to either. But I will check them out!

Feb 28, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #19 of 27
Two routes:

If you want the most bass presence: Abyss, LCD-4.

If you want to split the difference in bass presence for the other end of the spectrum: 009, HEDDphone, HE-6-modded, and SR1a.

The HE-6 properly amped gives a real run to any of the aforementioned. In the same vein, an HE-5 modded gets you right there. With much better timbre and stage.

IF you want the absolute, it's the DIY T2 + 009. A SuSy Dynahi will do you many favors in closing that gap, however.

In closing, I'd recommend not gimping any component in your chain.

If you don't go the T2/009 route, I'd recommend the SR1a or HEDDphone as an "easier" viable route.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #20 of 27
I was pairing the abyss with a metrum onyx and Cavalli liquid platinum and that did very well. I am now using a Hugo TT2. This is a great option and has more than enough power to drive all of the headphones you are looking at as well as it being an incredible dac. You can also add an mscaler later as well.

Don't you have problems driving abyss TC with TT2?
Are you using XLR output on TT2?

Oct 8, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #21 of 27
I'm contemplating buying the Susvaras to compliment the TCs, but, I don't think anything can beat the above setup for metal (other than maybe replacing the TT2 with a DAVE...maybe).

Did you get a chance to try DAVE in your setup?
I heard TT2 has a warmer sound (filter 4) compared to DAVE, which makes TT2 more interesting choice for metal.

Oct 9, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #22 of 27
Did you get a chance to try DAVE in your setup?
I heard TT2 has a warmer sound (filter 4) compared to DAVE, which makes TT2 more interesting choice for metal.
I did get the DAVE and I love it ! I have a tube amp, so I’m getting warmth there

Oct 9, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #24 of 27
SR1A or 009 for metal no headphone amp on this world can give you the bass you need for that genre. Forget it.
1266 Phi TC, SR007 SZ2xxx bass port mod with Carbon or RAD0 is the way to go. RAD0 is for the price absolute awesome. Better then LCD4 especially in the highs.
When you need closed back Stellia.
End of game. Point.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #26 of 27
What do you think of HMS->TT2->TToby->TC 1266?
I’ve never tried the TToby, but it’s like 100w, right? That is definitely enough power. I think the TT2 by itself is too underpowered for the TCs (though others disagree). You’d be solving that problem with putting the TToby in your TC chain

Oct 9, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #27 of 27
Don't you have problems driving abyss TC with TT2?
Are you using XLR output on TT2?

I have moved on from the TT2 while it is great it is no match for the Bartok IMO. I pair the Bartok with the Formula S and Powerman. This combo is great for metal.

I did have an mscaler with the TT2 for a while but found that the mscaler made more of a difference when I paired it with the hugo2 or quetest. No such worries anymore though plus the bartok has the network streamer and is a roon end point so it eliminated an extra box from my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back