TOTL Mid Range Headphone
May 17, 2022 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Somatic

Headphoneus Supremus
Seeing if the community can help me. What is the best headphones for mid range? So far I like the midrange on the HD600 better than Susvara and TC. Maybe from more energy in the upper midrange giving it a more forward midrange? Looking for the best forward sounding midrange available. Thanks a million. :)

May 18, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 17
VZR Model One my friend. Amazon has a 30 day return policy so you can trial easy.

Best sounding headphones I’ve ever heard.

Crosswave is doing something new that brings the sound of headphones actually close to how reference speakers sound.

They’re not only incredibly resolving, they resolve spatially bringing “life” to the sound and transport you as if you were there in the recording room.

For $350, these may be the best bargain in audio since ever. They absolutely compete with the LCD-2, and are much better tuned. I need to see how they stand up against the $4k cans at a store sometime.

They’re not mid forward, they’re probably the best sounding reference tuning I’ve heard though.

Voices, bass guitar and cymbals are each rendered in ways that remind me of Sennheiser, Audeze and Focal, respectively.

This is TOTL on a mid budget.

The founder is from Apple/Levinson and it shows up in the build quality & engineering execution.

I cannot sing their praise enough. I hope the forum catches on soon.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #3 of 17
Seeing if the community can help me. What is the best headphones for mid range? So far I like the midrange on the HD600 better than Susvara and TC. Maybe from more energy in the upper midrange giving it a more forward midrange? Looking for the best forward sounding midrange available. Thanks a million. :)
You are searching for a Grado. They have this "the singer whispers in your ear" quality no other headphone have.

If you are unfamiliar with Grado I suggest the HEMP.

May 18, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #4 of 17
ZMF Verite Closed had a much more natural timbre compared to 1266 and considerably better midrange. Having said that it's not midrange forward at all. It's very well balanced with incredible bass extension and warmth and would compliment your collection perfectly, especially if you have a Sus already.

Best headphone for midrange forwardness on the market right now is LCD5. It's tuned with midrange as the primary focus and sounds VERY different compared to everything that you own.

May 18, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #5 of 17
ZMF Verite Closed had a much more natural timbre compared to 1266 and considerably better midrange. Having said that it's not midrange forward at all. It's very well balanced with incredible bass extension and warmth and would compliment your collection perfectly, especially if you have a Sus already.

Best headphone for midrange forwardness on the market right now is LCD5. It's tuned with midrange as the primary focus and sounds VERY different compared to everything that you own.
Nice. Everyone is telling me LCD5. Going to have to try them out. :)

May 18, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #7 of 17
For midrange speciality, avoid all planars, seek the full-size electrostats.

May 18, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #9 of 17
Gonna have to disagree with you here on planars. Plenty of good ones out there, with the HE-500 being a personal favorite.
Sure. I've owned every planar and also own a Code-X.

May 19, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 17
For midrange speciality, avoid all planars, seek the full-size electrostats.
Budget? A used Susvara for $3300 + a used v281 runs rings around any estat/amp combo for the same money. The problem with high end estats is that most of them are the 007 and 009 which both have artificial overly defined trebles.

May 19, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #11 of 17
Gonna have to disagree with you here on planars. Plenty of good ones out there, with the HE-500 being a personal favorite.
Unmodified 500 does not do the job. Modified and EQ'd (like mine) certainly has many fans given the price.

Never heard the Code 6, but i have heard the stock 6 - 6 screw, and those mids didn't equal my 500 and don't belong in the list.

For cheap try the HD-600 on a BHCs with some mods. Lacking dynamics. but liquid mids, and a loss of the slight grain/brightness in the mid treble so common on SS amps.

Oct 14, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #14 of 17
VZR Model One my friend. Amazon has a 30 day return policy so you can trial easy.

Best sounding headphones I’ve ever heard.

Crosswave is doing something new that brings the sound of headphones actually close to how reference speakers sound.

They’re not only incredibly resolving, they resolve spatially bringing “life” to the sound and transport you as if you were there in the recording room.

For $350, these may be the best bargain in audio since ever. They absolutely compete with the LCD-2, and are much better tuned. I need to see how they stand up against the $4k cans at a store sometime.

They’re not mid forward, they’re probably the best sounding reference tuning I’ve heard though.

Voices, bass guitar and cymbals are each rendered in ways that remind me of Sennheiser, Audeze and Focal, respectively.

This is TOTL on a mid budget.

The founder is from Apple/Levinson and it shows up in the build quality & engineering execution.

I cannot sing their praise enough. I hope the forum catches on soon.

Interesting, I didn’t know about this headphone, however it seems an headphone for gaming ?

Oct 14, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #15 of 17
Atrium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back