TOTL disappointments
Jul 2, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #826 of 970
Wait, I came here for the bashing of overpriced, luxury headphones in the spirit of light-hearted malice and schadenfreude.

But the conversation has turned towards something else altogether.

What happened? 🤣
My fault, sorry.

BTW, @chesebert is 2-for-2. I’ve now ordered his other ‘value’ can — ETA O². Gonna have to sell some cans —I’m way over my self-imposed limit.

Jul 3, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #828 of 970
I initially bought 2 pairs to deal with potential unit to unit variance issues. I found one of them to be great and the other one not so much. I then bought another pair, which was more consistent with the one I liked. I returned the not as good sounding one. Unit to unit variance is an issue with all cans.

This brought up a good one. 👍

Time to schiit on the greatest headphone of all time, the legendary Sony MDR R10. (Future reference)

So, I heard more than 10 pairs and most likely in the top 5 people who has, if not top 3. :beerchug:

There are a lot of shitt-y R10s out there! I mean alot. So, if you see lots of sales of them, beware and careful because they are most likely the schiit versions 😆, thank me later. And if you heard one recently or before and thought well they suck, it's most likely a bad batch and of course preference.

Why so? Pads worn out, form pads are dried out and driver units variance.

Jul 3, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #829 of 970
This brought up a good one. 👍

Time to schiit on the greatest headphone of all time, the legendary Sony MDR R10. (Future reference)

So, I heard more than 10 pairs and most likely in the top 5 people who has, if not top 3. :beerchug:

There are a lot of shitt-y R10s out there! I mean alot. So, if you see lots of sales of them, beware and careful because they are most likely the schiit versions 😆, thank me later. And if you heard one recently or before and thought well they suck, it's most likely a bad batch and of course preference.

Why so? Pads worn out, form pads are dried out and driver units variance.
R10 has always been a collector’s item rather than one you actually use to listen to music on. Ownership of R10 is more important than its functionality. You could have put together a kick ass 2chan system back in 1990 with the R10 money. This holds true for 2023. People buy R10 for the same reason they buy $1million turntable.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #830 of 970
R10 has always been a collector’s item rather than one you actually use to listen to music on. Ownership of R10 is more important than its function. You could have put together a kick ass 2chan system back in 1990 with the R10 money. This holds true for 2023. People buy R10 for the same reason they buy $1million turntable.
Most with the R10 thoroughly enjoy it. With age some things need to be addressed.

Just live within your means rather than speculating on what value is.

Jul 3, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #831 of 970
I have only really been disappointed in the Sennheiser HD800S. It was too cold and analytical for my tastes but I used it mostly for gaming back then so it was good for that and live recordings sounded great for the most part.

Jul 3, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #832 of 970
Most with the R10 thoroughly enjoy it. With age some things need to be addressed.

Just live within your means rather than speculating on what value is.

Gotta say. I finaly heard an r10 for yhe first time at canjam Chicago and I was blown the hell away. Very very easily the best closed back I've ever heard. Has the same romance to it that he90 does.

Honestly it's made me interested in hearing the l3000 and l5000 again since it's been years

Jul 3, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #833 of 970
Ha, hearing the greatest headphone of all time is always a treat.

Only one king, all newbs and liars using the word "King" on other headphones should be put on trial. 😀 No one should ever use that word on other headphones. Such a shame.

‐---------------

Now, time to schiit on the Sennheiser HE90, how dare senny overlooked the earpads and make one of the worst pads of all time. Meh...

Jul 3, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #834 of 970
Ha, hearing the greatest headphone of all time is always a treat.

Only one king, all newbs and liars using the word "King" on other headphones should be put on trial. 😀 No one should ever use that word on other headphones. Such a shame.

‐---------------

Now, time to schiit on the Sennheiser HE90, how dare senny overlooked the earpads and make one of the worst pads of all time. Meh...

Tfw talking about the worst ear pads of all time and tnot talking about stuff that disintegrates or leaks

Jul 3, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #835 of 970
HE90 is a electrostatic headphone.

HE90 earpads flakes, and disintegrate into trillions of dust particles. It is one of the worst earpads that can ever be design for a estat headphone.

---------------

Next, time to schiit on Stax Omega 1993. One of the worst headband design. Next to a dollar store design. Can not believe Stax used a lambdas headband design on a statement product.

Jul 3, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #836 of 970
HE90 is a electrostatic headphone.

HE90 earpads flakes, and disintegrate into trillions of dust particles. It is one of the worst earpads that can ever be design for a estat headphone.

---------------

Next, time to schiit on Stax Omega 1993. One of the worst headband design. Next to a dollar store design. Can not believe Stax used a lambdas headband design on a statement product.
Don’t all ear pads disintegrate over time? I have yet to own any cans with ear pads that last more than 10 years with regular use.

Jul 3, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #837 of 970
Don’t all ear pads disintegrate over time?
Sure, not like HE90 abomination. Flakes, turn into fine dust particles. Horrible for estats.
Screenshot_20230703-192710_Photos~2.jpg

--------------

Next, time to schiit on L5000, what on earth is audio technica thinking with those werid cups to sit on your ears 👂
Barely could get any seal on. W5000 and L5000 have some of the weirdest ear seal I ever encountered 😆 🤣

Jul 3, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #838 of 970
Can not believe Stax used a lambdas headband design on a statement product.
as is apparently tradition now. Sus (and shang) and Utopia use cheap headbands too. Hell, Im vaguely surprised that senn even made the HD800 headband on the HE1 out of better materials even (still has the issue of changing settings when you take it off though).

Actualy, back to disapointment land: Shang should come in a nicer box. We all know that hifiman has crazy margins. Even arya comes in a nicer damn box than shang.

Also been pretty disappointed in sennheiser CS recently (they just like refuse to respond at all) but thats a different story.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #839 of 970
The R10 is easily one of the best sounding headphones out there ever. I still treat them with care, but I am fully prepared to never sell them and use them until they fail. Absolutely not a collectible for me.

Jul 3, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #840 of 970
as is apparently tradition now. Sus (and shang) and Utopia use cheap headbands too. Hell, Im vaguely surprised that senn even made the HD800 headband on the HE1 out of better materials even (still has the issue of changing settings when you take it off though).

Actualy, back to disapointment land: Shang should come in a nicer box. We all know that hifiman has crazy margins. Even arya comes in a nicer damn box than shang.

Also been pretty disappointed in sennheiser CS recently (they just like refuse to respond at all) but thats a different story.

For the price, the Shang Sr. should come with quite a bit better everything. Cable, slightly better wood grain/cups, box, a second set of pads, etc. Hifiman definitely price gouges, but at least the sound is a saving grace fortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back