TOTL disappointments
Aug 30, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #286 of 970
Where do I start?

Beyers - Pain
Grados - Pain
Hifiman Ananda/Arya and HE1000 - Lack dynamics, timbre sounds quite unnatural and plasticky, and the build quality doesn't hold up for their prices.
HD800 - Mid canyon and unnatural timbre, EQ improves it but doesn't save it, plus the 6k peak is a bit obnoxious, especially without SDR mod. Not a bad headphone though, if you can live with its flaws.
HE-1 - It's good, but it can't be $50k good. Even though it's good. People pay 50 thousand dollars for this?
SR-009 - This headphone is excellent, it taught me what bad timbre is. And this made me appreciate my HD600 more. Thank you SR009, where would I be without you? Despite this, the technical performance is very good, but there's no way it could ever be good enough to justify the terrible terrible timbre.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #288 of 970
Sep 3, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #289 of 970
The Solaris. Just thought it was soooooo boring. Not my jam. Got the Z1r was right up my alley. for awhile anyway lol

Sep 3, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #290 of 970
The Solaris. Just thought it was soooooo boring. Not my jam. Got the Z1r was right up my alley. for awhile anyway lol
CA has mostly been a disappointment for me, especially since they're neighbors.

I picked up a Solaris SE on the 2020 Black Friday sale -- sold it a few weeks later. Nothing wrong with it, but it didn't do anything to make me prefer it to IT07.

Andromedas were what I would have called 'boring'. Tons of detail, but no music :) (obviously an exaggeration, but you get the idea)

Atlas sound fine, but just totally uncomfortable in my ears -- I much prefer the Vega.

Sep 4, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #291 of 970
noble Sultan was not price competitive

Sep 4, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #292 of 970
LCD-X: When they first were introduced, were hyped as the neutral Audeze, and the god headphones. Bass definitely extended further and was stronger than LCD2, but was more colored overall. Massive depression around 3-5khz, which made a spotlit peak around 8khz sound weird. Overall not bad; the wonkiness in the upper midrange could be somewhat alleviated via EQ, but the immense weight just couldn't be overcome.

I have read that the new pads (that aren't memory foam) helps with the upper mid depression, and the newer suspension band helps with the weight, but the Ether2 takes a similar tonal signature with better balance through 3khz, and with nearly half the weight.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #293 of 970
LCD-X: When they first were introduced, were hyped as the neutral Audeze, and the god headphones. Bass definitely extended further and was stronger than LCD2, but was more colored overall. Massive depression around 3-5khz, which made a spotlit peak around 8khz sound weird. Overall not bad; the wonkiness in the upper midrange could be somewhat alleviated via EQ, but the immense weight just couldn't be overcome.

I have read that the new pads (that aren't memory foam) helps with the upper mid depression, and the newer suspension band helps with the weight, but the Ether2 takes a similar tonal signature with better balance through 3khz, and with nearly half the weight.
take ur time playing with headphone . eventually ell learn to love it

Sep 4, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #294 of 970
CA has mostly been a disappointment for me, especially since they're neighbors.

I picked up a Solaris SE on the 2020 Black Friday sale -- sold it a few weeks later. Nothing wrong with it, but it didn't do anything to make me prefer it to IT07.

Andromedas were what I would have called 'boring'. Tons of detail, but no music :) (obviously an exaggeration, but you get the idea)

Atlas sound fine, but just totally uncomfortable in my ears -- I much prefer the Vega.
what would u classify as boring headphone ? something isn't v shaped

Sep 4, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #295 of 970
take ur time playing with headphone . eventually ell learn to love it
He has had the LCD-X since 2014, how much time do you suggest?

Sep 4, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #296 of 970
what would u classify as boring headphone ? something isn't v shape
Sorry, it’s about like the old line about obscenity … ‘I can’t define it but I know it when I see it.’

Similarly, to me, a boring headphone is one from which I don’t find the music engaging emotionally. Ether 2 from the wrong amp, Utopia from the wrong chain …

Kind of like how some talk about THX amps — technically very competent, but not musical.

None of that helps I imagine

I just know that when I had Andromeda and compared it to my iBasso IEMs there was nothing about Andro that I preferred. Maybe it’s as simple as me preferring the IBasso’house’ tuning.

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #299 of 970
Here's my list, from slightly disappointed to most disappointed:

HiFiMan Susvara (owning) - Technicality wise there's no fault I can find on this headphone, but I always find the mids to be a little to thin and it's a little sharp on the sibilance region. Those combined make most pop vocals sound a little emotionless and kind of dead to me. Maybe I gave it too big of an expectation since every single person I know puts this pair on the absolute top of. I might be in the small group that don't actually prefer them to a pair of Utopias despite their advantage in technical performance.

Kennerton Thror (owned)- Similar to Susvara, I can't find big faults on them (maybe they have a bit much treble energy, but definitely not sharp or piercing ), but I just disengage very quickly when I listen to them. Most of the headphones at this price either gave me a huge wow factor (lcd4, 1266) or let me immense in music for hours (Utopia, 009, VC). When I put on this pair, I got bored of whatever I listen to after 30 minutes. Detail/Resolution/Speed/Soundstage are not bad, kind of average in its price range.

Meze Empyrean (tried on shows) - Unlike the previous 2, this does lack in technical performance. They sound kind of soft with a little too much bass. Sound-wise I don't think they are very competitive even in at $2,000, which is sad because the build and comfort is so fantastic it could've been so many people's last headphone.

Sennheiser HD820 (short session on shows) - Yeah, they are indeed way worse than HD800/S, I think most people already know that.

Sony MDR-Z1R (short session on shows) - Similar to Empyrean, I don't think it's competitive in its price range, even as a closed back. On top of that, the sound is also dull and kind of wonky.

EE Zeus (owned) - Many people hate the SR009 and think they have horrible timbre, I happen to love them, and I think their bright and super soft presentation give them ethereal feeling and are great with many genres. I also don't think Focal Utopia is bright. Whenever I think of sickeningly bright headphones with terrible timbre, I think of the EE Zeus.

Ultrasone ED15 (short session on show) - On top of sounding bad, the comfort is very bad too, with too much clamp force. My temples were terribly hurt after wearing them for 10 minutes. Fortunately the sound also didn't make me want to keep wearing them. Although I didn't have high expectations on this, it's still $3500. Considering all the other great options in this price range, I can't possibly understand why this headphone exists.

CA Atlas (tried on shows) - What the serious ****.

Sep 8, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #300 of 970
Here's my list, from slightly disappointed to most disappointed:

HiFiMan Susvara (owning) - Technicality wise there's no fault I can find on this headphone, but I always find the mids to be a little to thin and it's a little sharp on the sibilance region. Those combined make most pop vocals sound a little emotionless and kind of dead to me. Maybe I gave it too big of an expectation since every single person I know puts this pair on the absolute top of. I might be in the small group that don't actually prefer them to a pair of Utopias despite their advantage in technical performance.

Kennerton Thror (owned)- Similar to Susvara, I can't find big faults on them (maybe they have a bit much treble energy, but definitely not sharp or piercing ), but I just disengage very quickly when I listen to them. Most of the headphones at this price either gave me a huge wow factor (lcd4, 1266) or let me immense in music for hours (Utopia, 009, VC). When I put on this pair, I got bored of whatever I listen to after 30 minutes. Detail/Resolution/Speed/Soundstage are not bad, kind of average in its price range.

Meze Empyrean (tried on shows) - Unlike the previous 2, this does lack in technical performance. They sound kind of soft with a little too much bass. Sound-wise I don't think they are very competitive even in at $2,000, which is sad because the build and comfort is so fantastic it could've been so many people's last headphone.

Sennheiser HD820 (short session on shows) - Yeah, they are indeed way worse than HD800/S, I think most people already know that.

Sony MDR-Z1R (short session on shows) - Similar to Empyrean, I don't think it's competitive in its price range, even as a closed back. On top of that, the sound is also dull and kind of wonky.

EE Zeus (owned) - Many people hate the SR009 and think they have horrible timbre, I happen to love them, and I think their bright and super soft presentation give them ethereal feeling and are great with many genres. I also don't think Focal Utopia is bright. Whenever I think of sickeningly bright headphones with terrible timbre, I think of the EE Zeus.

Ultrasone ED15 (short session on show) - On top of sounding bad, the comfort is very bad too, with too much clamp force. My temples were terribly hurt after wearing them for 10 minutes. Fortunately the sound also didn't make me want to keep wearing them. Although I didn't have high expectations on this, it's still $3500. Considering all the other great options in this price range, I can't possibly understand why this headphone exists.

CA Atlas (tried on shows) - What the serious ****.
Which amp are you using for your Susvara?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back