TOTL disappointments
Aug 29, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #271 of 970
Empys soundstage was narrow.

They're quite intimate, but I would say they're OK on soundstaging in general. Other cans can be massive in this regard, so it's up to one's point of reference I think :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 29, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #272 of 970
They're quite intimate, but I would say they're OK on soundstaging in general. Other cans can be massive in this regard, so it's up to one's point of reference I think :wink:
Yeah my main reference point was the Aryas. Lol

Aug 30, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #273 of 970
Empys soundstage was narrow. Should have been priced around 2k. Clean detailed than Arya. Poor sub bass performance. It had a better sound signature than Arya. More cohesive. Arya harsh highs got better after being powered by speaker amps. Regarding the bloated mid bass hump on the Empys, it was easily rectified with EQ. I would have kept it if it wasn’t for narrow soundstage, lack of detail, poor sub bass performance. Female voices sounded divine on it though.
More around 1k. Empy sounds good imo. There are many totl that sound way worse. The problem is why go for the Empy when you can get exactly this (good timbre, no flaws, warmer sound, medium soundstage, not too much detail and bass extension) for 1/10 of the price in a HD650. The only difference here is the buid quality. Sonically they are on par but i think i personally favor the 650.

Aug 30, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #274 of 970
More around 1k. Empy sounds good imo. There are many totl that sound way worse. The problem is why go for the Empy when you can get exactly this (good timbre, no flaws, warmer sound, medium soundstage, not too much detail and bass extension) for 1/10 of the price in a HD650. The only difference here is the buid quality. Sonically they are on par but i think i personally favor the 650.
As a person who also thinks the Empyrean is way overpriced, I can't agree with this comparison. The Empyrean has way better bass extension than the 650 and it has a noticeably larger and wider soundstage as well. In addition, it's separation is at least a league above. The only similarity between them is tonality.

Obviously anyone can prefer whatever they want, but the Empyrean is clearly a class above the 650. Calling them equivalent in terms of technical performance, is just harsh.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #275 of 970
Obviously this is a subjective topic, but the 650 isn't even close to the Empyreans level imo.

Aug 30, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #276 of 970
As a person who also thinks the Empyrean is way overpriced, I can't agree with this comparison. The Emyrean has way better bass extension than the 650 and it has a noticeably larger and wider soundstage as well. In addition, it's separation is at least a league above. The only similarity between them is tonality.

Obviously anyone can prefer whatever they want, but the Empyrean is clearly a class above the 650. Calling them equivalent in terms of technical performance, is just harsh.
True. That are the both aspects where the Empy is better than the 650. On the other hand the 650 has a better tonality and better timbre imo even though the Empy is already good there but it's more limited to certain things whereas the 650 is more consistent.

I can only disagree there. In terms of technicalities they are absolutely in the same class. Where the Empy is a bit better is on mobile setups or not powerful class D amps.
However my reference point is the first generation of HD650 that supposedly sounds different to the later ones and also to the 6XX.

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #277 of 970
On the other hand the 650 has a better tonality and better timbre imo even though the Empy is already good there but it's more limited to certain things whereas the 650 is more consistent.
Of course, I do agree with your findings that HD650 has more "consistency", simply because Empyrean is more transparent and revealing about source and recording quality.

note: I also think Empyrean is a bit overprice from the technical side.

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #278 of 970
Nothing I own has disappointed. The most impressive component was my music server, this made everything better. Even my interconnects made my amp better or is it dac and or both. Hd800S lacks no bass because of my source. And second hand over generalizations on components is the main fault in high fi forums.

Aug 30, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #280 of 970
The only TOTL headphone I've ever been disappointed in is a multi-BA IEM that was not tuned for me or my music collection. I haven't made the mistake of buying an over-ear flagship headphone that I hated, buty I haven't heard many either...

Aug 30, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #281 of 970
Beyer T1.G2 -- painfully sharp. Like this:

1630341662738.png

Aug 30, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #283 of 970
Nothing I own has disappointed. The most impressive component was my music server, this made everything better. Even my interconnects made my amp better or is it dac and or both. Hd800S lacks no bass because of my source. And second hand over generalizations on components is the main fault in high fi forums.

What do you use as source for HD800?
Curious if either two amps I have would be a good matchup or not: Questyle CMA600i or Icon Audio HP8 MKII

Aug 30, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #284 of 970
What do you use as source for HD800?
Curious if either two amps I have would be a good matchup or not: Questyle CMA600i or Icon Audio HP8 MKII
Its right there in my sig, antipodes audio

Aug 30, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #285 of 970
I'm with most of you regarding Empyrean asking price. 2k would be more on target. I was actually looking for cheap used pair as I think it has some very interesting qualities that are appealing to me. Then I snatched HE6 SE V2_for $649 new and they offered 90 percent of what I was looking for in Empys. Tonality is almost spot on. Technicality is pretty good for the asking price. Bass is almost as impressive as with Empys. At fraction of the cost I might add.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back