Totaldac D1-Dual Impressions Thread
Jun 22, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #50 of 78
 Anyone listened to the new Totaldac D1-Tube-Mk2   ?  

Now that the D1-Tube is at the same price than the D1-Dual, I would like to know how they compare ...

Jun 28, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #51 of 78
   Anyone listened to the new Totaldac D1-Tube-Mk2   ?  

Now that the D1-Tube is at the same price than the D1-Dual, I would like to know how they compare ...

Check this thread:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?6905-Totaldac-Reference-D1/page45

There is at least one person with Tube version but not sure if he compared the two. 

Jun 28, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #52 of 78
I have some dsd files in my collection. I did not care much about them until I played one on D1. Very pleasant surprise. Did you guys find that also, or it was the single malt 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #54 of 78
Will that prove anything for you besides a number equaling or exceeding 14??!

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #55 of 78
Will that prove anything for you besides a number equaling or exceeding 14??!

yes,while most people here probably dont care about accuracy my personal philosophy is to obtain most truthfull to the source dac

I have suspicion that totaldac is wildly innacurate,people love the sound of the first dacs they are only 14bit.I want as much real effective bits as possible,I listen to extremly loud and dynamic music,14bit is signal to noise 84db,my transients go way over that value so noise will become audible if it is 14bit.

besides that what will it prove or what will it mean to me is irrelevant,basicly you will ignore the question and just pretend I am idiot who only cares about measurements and that since it sounds good it doesnt matter if it is only 14bit,nobody is going to answer it.I disagree,I think its interesting good question that should be answered

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #56 of 78
And I bet you've just been fed the kool aid and never ever have listened to the TotalDAC let alone compared it to other gear. You should also ask if it really really extends to 50kHz because your bat ears demand no less lol :).

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #57 of 78
And I bet you've just been fed the kool aid and never ever have listened to the TotalDAC let alone compared it to other gear. You should also ask if it really really extends to 50kHz because your bat ears demand no less lol :).

I sense you are insecure that your dac might have as much bits as stuff from 30 years ago,funny thing is I dont even claim it have,I just question how it can have more when it have 0.01% resistors,I am not angry for attacking me,I feel sorry for you

About the bat ears the typical insult to anybody who prefers hi rez,plasma/riboon tweeters or current mode amps,I can hear only to 17khz,I have never claimed I like fast slew rate/settling time becose of freqency extension,its my personal belief that higher speed components generaly are more accurate in audible spectum.I believe its better to have hi rez pcm becose I prefer no oversampling and it have transient benefits too,I never said I hear 50khz,thats just typical behaviour I wittness often ,people pretending I said something that I really never said to make me look bad

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #58 of 78
The 50kHz thing is just as extreme as requiring more than 80dB of effective dynamic range for any modern recording. You pretend you need that much, yet almost any recording chain out there can't possibly achieve this due to all kinds of backgound noises, starting with the mics/preamps.

I don't know for you but background noise hardly gets below 45dB in my place and I certainly don't listen to my music at 125dB peak. There are varied amount of dynamic compression applied to any recording out there and I bet it's even preferable for some recordings (see David Chesky's test cds etc).

We've also talked about masking in other threads when this enob thing became all the rage. You can't possibly hear 24 bits worth of instantaneous dynamic range: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range

As to your enquiry about the totalDac, I was told by the designer it has to resolve more than 14bits to get the published noise floor on his website. How it does it, I let you ask the designer, I suspect dither and such processes I don't quite follow myself.

Hearing is believing however so hopefully you stop drinking the kool aid for a while and spend your energy trying to get to listen to one instead...

Cheers, Arnaud

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #59 of 78
Again,where did you come up with that 50khz ? if you cant prove that I ever written post where I claim to hear that high I would appriciate if you could stop pretending like I did

requiring more than 80db isnt extreme... you can have recorded music with more than 80db dynamic range,for example you can use expander,or filter out the noise if its concentrated in specific freqencies,on top of that you have synthethic sounds.Also the profesional recording studio where I studied was pretty much underground anechoic chamber,the lack of noise was very bizzare experience. Even open headphones significantly filter out outside noise,the IEMs block alot noise,45db noise in the place where you listen music is averge for living space but really bad for listening space,with double glass windows closed,walls that arent paper,some accustic isolation 30s to 20s db noise is easily achievable

kool aid kool aid kool aid kool aid I never said or written totaldac is bad sounding,I only heard it at show but was impressed,I know if I dont have it home its crapshoot judgement,you see I respect and admire TotalDac,I even like these 14bit tda1541 80s dacs,I just want to know how it can be 16 or more bits,I highly doubt its dither and I dont believe Vincent as he is making money on it so he wouldnt admit something that its bad for bussiness.

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #60 of 78

Did you ever ask Vincent for an explanation? Whether you believe him or not, the least you could do is hear him out. The rest is up to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back