Total Noob. HD598, DT880, or something else?
Apr 20, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #17 of 32
Apr 20, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:
Can't disagree more with you on the metal thing.

You just can't listen to metal with hard hitting headphones ala m-100. On paper it sounds great, but with time, you get really fatigued fast with the double bass drum thumping your ear drums. I know because I use the HD598 and it's been the best metal headphones for me. You can hear every single cymbals, every single bass string stroke, you don't miss nothing. And that's in a clustered mix like you find on metal songs. Just imagine how well it resolves on Jazz.

I'm very biased for the HD598, and I do think that for the price (considering you'll give enough burn in time for them), you'll be happy for ANY style of music. It's a big BIG soundstage, with tight bass, and airy mids and treble.

Just a thought. Maybe the reason I find the m-100 too hard hitting for metal is because I'm so used to the HD598. They're getting easier on my ears with time.

Apr 20, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:
Can't disagree more with you on the metal thing.

You just can't listen to metal with hard hitting headphones ala m-100. On paper it sounds great, but with time, you get really fatigued fast with the double bass drum thumping your ear drums. I know because I use the HD598 and it's been the best metal headphones for me. You can hear every single cymbals, every single bass string stroke, you don't miss nothing. And that's in a clustered mix like you find on metal songs. Just imagine how well it resolves on Jazz.

I'm very biased for the HD598, and I do think that for the price (considering you'll give enough burn in time for them), you'll be happy for ANY style of music. It's a big BIG soundstage, with tight bass, and airy mids and treble. 

Well, I don't really like bass-heavy headphones for metal either. The M-100 has a lot of bass punch, and I probably wouldn't use it for metal. And I certainly felt the HE-400 to be lacking for metal, despite its bass presence and slam. Grados, on the other hand, have a nice mid-bass hump that adds nice punch for metal, but not in a severely fatiguing way. The mids are also colored such that guitars stand out, and the highs have some splash to further increase the sense of dynamics and aggression. Perfect for the genre, imo.

For me, when it comes to metal, I get bored with a headphone that is too smooth, i.e. HD598. I personally get a lot of enjoyment from the aggression in metal, so if a headphone in any way takes away from that aggression, I just can't get into it, nor recommend it for that genre. On the other hand, some people like smooth headphones for metal exactly because it's easier to listen to and less fatiguing. I can appreciate that, but I personally don't reciprocate that. It's just a matter of preference.

So, OP, you would have to try to decide if you want a headphone that can properly convey the aggression of metal, or a headphone that softens the presentation to make it easier to listen to? If the former, then I wouldn't recommend the HD598. If the latter, then look into it.

---

On a side note, a few of us here in Omaha had a HeadFi meet today. This was my first HeadFi meet, and it was an absolute blast, and I got to hear a lot of great headphones on great setups!

I'll just chime in with this: I got to hear the entire Denon lineup today. D2000, D5000, and D7000. This was my first time hearing them...and wow! I fell in love with them! Simply awesome, and I am terribly disappointed that Denon discontinued these! I am just in awe of how fun they sound.

The other big surprise of the day for me was the HD650! I got to hear this headphone on the Schiit Lyr...and again, WOW! Now, I personally have always heard a "veil" in the Sennheiser HD600, and HD598 and other lower models. The HD650 on the Lyr = What veil? Talk about bass slam, a soundstage that is natural, and mids that truly live up to their reputation. I am an official Sennheiser HD650 believer now. Maybe I need to re-try the HD598 on a beast amp like that?

I couldn't help myself! Good day!

Apr 20, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #20 of 32
I can't talk about the 598s because I've never heard them but I have the HE400 and DT880 600 ohm.  It really just depends on the sound signature that you want.  I prefer the 880s on certain songs and the HE400 on others.  Surprisingly, it's not necessarily dependent on genre either; I think it has to do with how the recording was mixed as well.  

For example, I prefer the HE400s on Adele's Rolling in the Deep, but I prefer the 880s on Les Miserables On My Own.  Some songs are a wash, so it just depends what sound signature you want.  The 880s are definitely more neutral, but the HE400s are colored in such a good way.  If you listen to a lot of bass heavy music, you'll probably want the HE400s, but again, I actually prefer the 880s on certain bass heavy music because the HE400s makes the bass overpowering if the mix is already very bass-centric.  

With regards to comfort, the 880s win because they don't clamp as much.

As far as bang-for-the-buck goes, I'd probably have to give the nod to the 880s because you can get them like-new for $250 or less.  I don't think my HE400s are worth 50% more.

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #21 of 32
Ugh, choices... gonna read up on more reviews. Seems the Grado SR225i & SR325is are also well within the price-point I'm looking at, as are the Ultrasone Pro 900 and AKG K550, K601, and K701...

Life is hard.

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:
Ugh, choices... gonna read up on more reviews. Seems the Grado SR225i & SR325is are also well within the price-point I'm looking at, as are the Ultrasone Pro 900 and AKG K550 & K601...

Life is hard.

Well, I'll say it, even though no one ever follows this advice.

If you go Grado, just get the SR60i or SR80i, and buy the L-Cush pads. The entire Prestige Series has virtually the same sound signature. You just get slight technical improvements as you go up, but they all sound virtually the same. The biggest difference between the lower models and the upper models is the stock pads used. The SR225i and SR325is come stock with the L-Cush pads. Just buy the L-Cush pads for $20 and put them on the SR60i or SR80i, and be done with it - trust me, you'll have reached 95% the sound quality of the upper pairs, and then you can put the money you saved into another headphone entirely.

Or you can go down the path I did. Grab the SR225i. Ultimately want more, pick up the SR325is. Then try the lower models out of curiosity, and learn that the lower models don't sound any worse than the upper models, just a touch different. Then sell the SR225i and SR325is and simply enjoy the SR60i. Then tell others about your experience, and watch them ignore the advice and make the same assumption you did - that the higher you go, the better you're getting, and the more enjoyment you'll get. Oh well.

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #23 of 32
Oh, I'm not concerned with the "tier" as per a manufacturers own specified price-points. I simply didn't know and assumed that the SR225i/325is were a definitive step ahead in terms of quality/enjoyment/refinement. If you say that's not the case, I have little reason to doubt that (as you know far more than me).

Do you have any experience with AKG's offerings around the $200-400 range? Seems that's another popular brand, as well as Ultrasone and Shure... 

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #24 of 32
Deceit, seeing that you're a classical pianist, I would strongly advise you to get the Sennheiser HD600. It provides just the right amount of bass (by no means the bass of the HD600 is weak, it presents with authority), mids and highs to reflect the various instruments. It may as well be the last headphone you'll ever need. 
biggrin.gif
 That said, the DT880 is a good choice too and it's on the brighter side of the fence. Timbre is better on the HD600 which is why I prefer the HD600 over the DT880.

About the Grados, they have a small soundstage which can be disappointing when listening to orchestras. The piercing highs may be too bright too. Most importantly if you're going down the Grado route, listen to the poster above me (Bisc). 
wink.gif

I haven't yet tried the 598s but I heard it's got a nice big soundstage. And sometime ago, the HEs encounter QC issues so I never went down that route.

Best advice anyone can give you is for you to try them out yourself before purchasing to save yourself a lot of troublesome consumer post-purchase worries!

- Fellow classical muso

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #25 of 32
Thanks a lot nikp, I will strongly consider the HD600 for my situation. Only doubt I have is that they are near the top of what I'm able to spend, and I'm unsure whether the extra $150 is "worth it" for an audiophile noob such as myself. Maybe I won't be able to appreciate the difference (compared to the HD598, that is).

Conversely, the HE-400 are also at that exact price point so there is something else to consider. I've read about the driver issues but AFAIK that has been fixed?

I take it you love orchestral music and symphonies on the HD600 then? How is say, Mozart's Symphony No. 25? Or actually something totally different too... my absolute favorite composition in this lifetime, Adagio of the Emperor Concerto... comparisons between the DT880 and HD600? (and what I assume might be a similar sound signature in its little brother, the HD598 but... that is only an assumption on my part) 
smile.gif

I'm really starting to wonder if I'm looking for impossible things, going from really, really "heavy" and powerful metal to classical compositions varying in so many different styles themselves. 
frown.gif

All this aside you guys have been tremendously helpful so far and you have nothing but my gratitude for taking the time to explain these things in great detail.

Cheers

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #26 of 32
I think we were all in your position when we started our headphone journey, and I know I asked for help here on the forums often and got great advice. So, having some experience with a number of headphones now, I love helping those who are now in that same position as best as I can!

As nikp mentioned, though, there is no substitute for trying headphones out for yourself. Obviously, that's easier said than done, and that's why we seek advice on the forums! Most understandable, but it's really a tricky game.

For instance, I never thought I'd like the HD650, since it's described as a very warm, treble-shy, forgiving headphone (I like my treble). But I tried it for the first time yesterday at our local HeadFi meet, and I just loved it. So much so, I ordered one today :wink: Not only that, but I never really thought I'd like the Denon series, based on what I had read about their sound. But...yet again I was shocked and surprised to find I absolutely loved the Denon D2000 and D5000, that I got to hear yesterday. One more example would be the HE-400. It really has been a wildly popular headphone here on HeadFi. I read a lot about it, and thought it had exactly what I wanted. Well, I have since owned it two different times, and just cannot get into it. I don't like it.

So I guess the point would be, it's hard to know what you will like and not like. I think, in your place, it would be wise to take the safest route possible. That is, go with a time-tested headphone that is comfortable, neutral, and a great all-rounder for any genre. I'd say grab an HD600, like nikp suggested. It's a great headphone that really doesn't do anything wrong.

It is $400, but you can get it easily for $300 or less used. Or, just do this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/651409/the-deals-thread-ii-read-the-first-post/1410#post_9372658

Brand new HD600 for $320? That's the way to go, if you decide on the HD600. I used that same deal to order myself a new HD650 for $400. Not bad.

Here's some more "nudging" if you're looking for it :wink: Read this assessment of the HD600 by a person who owns many of the world's best headphones: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13#user_HD600

It's probably the safest choice, if you're willing to go $320. He also highly rates the DT880 and HE-400, so you might read his assessments of those as well and try to best determine what might fit your tastes. I love that thread, and David Mahler did the HeadFi community an absolute service with it.

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #27 of 32
Yes, I have briefly skimmed across that thread! It seems to be tremendously insightful and helpful so far.

On that note, everything you just said speaks sense to me. I'd like to think that I'm of pretty sound mind, so getting something typically considered "safe" seems to be the most rational decision. 

The reviews by David, obviously, placed all three of the contenders I'm looking at in extremely high regard (HD600, HE-400, DT880) and as a result I will peruse all three reviews in excruciating detail. It really seems that these three, while having different characteristics, all offer something unique and beautiful and their differences will speak to various end users differently. The budget is towards the high end of what I can spend, but it is still within reason, so it's not a problem.

Unfortunately, answers seems to beget more questions and my last one for the time being is this - what are the pronounced differences between the HD598 and the HD600 headphones? Would you, or anyone else say that the 600 is simply superior to the 598 in all areas? Does the 598 feature any unique qualities that makes it a worthy contender to the 600, in its own special way? Obviously, I would expect there to be technical/qualitative differences considering there is a price point/tier difference between these two, but I am genuinely curious. Is it unheard of for people to actually prefer the 598 over the 600, ever? And finally, how would you define the differences and similarities between these two products from the same family?

Thank you very much and may you have a wonderful evening.

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #28 of 32
That's actually a great question, concerning the differences between the HD598 and HD600. I can't help you there, unfortunately. Hopefully someone can comment.

I do remember reading that someone did prefer the HD598 to both the HD600/650. So it is possible.

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:
Thanks a lot nikp, I will strongly consider the HD600 for my situation. Only doubt I have is that they are near the top of what I'm able to spend, and I'm unsure whether the extra $150 is "worth it" for an audiophile noob such as myself. Maybe I won't be able to appreciate the difference (compared to the HD598, that is).

Conversely, the HE-400 are also at that exact price point so there is something else to consider. I've read about the driver issues but AFAIK that has been fixed?

I take it you love orchestral music and symphonies on the HD600 then? How is say, Mozart's Symphony No. 25? Or actually something totally different too... my absolute favorite composition in this lifetime, Adagio of the Emperor Concerto... comparisons between the DT880 and HD600? (and what I assume might be a similar sound signature in its little brother, the HD598 but... that is only an assumption on my part) 
smile.gif

I'm really starting to wonder if I'm looking for impossible things, going from really, really "heavy" and powerful metal to classical compositions varying in so many different styles themselves. 
frown.gif

All this aside you guys have been tremendously helpful so far and you have nothing but my gratitude for taking the time to explain these things in great detail.

Cheers

I have sold both headphones but if I were to buy one again, it would be the HD600 or HD800.

To my memory, here is a short dot point summary.
  1. DT880 is brighter than the HD600 although both were considered to have an all around signature.
  2. HD600's got better timbre but DT880 is more detailed.
  3. Soundstage on the DT880 is wider but the HD600 is deeper.
  4. HD600 is easier to power (vs DT880 600ohm).

Someone with both HD600 and HD598 once told me a while back that the HD598 has a bigger soundstage than the HD600 and that the HD600's sound signature sounds flatter.

Not much help coming from me but I hope someone can pitch in to help you with your decision. There should be plenty of reviews regarding these popular cans. Just find the consensus among user reviews and you'll find what you're looking for. Best of luck! 
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #30 of 32
Let me I apologize first, for posting a review which is not mine. Here you can read some of differences heard by Mike from headfonia: http://www.headfonia.com/hd600-and-hd598-comparison/
Please take it with grain and salt, as each person hearing is different.
I haven't heard both of them at the same time, so I can speak nothing of this.
Quote:
Unfortunately, answers seems beget more questions and my last one for the time being is this - what are the pronounced differences between the HD598 and the HD600 headphones? Would you, or anyone else say that the 600 is simply superior to the 598 in all areas? Does the 598 feature any unique qualities that makes it a worthy contender to the 600, in its own special way? Obviously, I would expect there to be technical/qualitative differences considering there is a price point/tier difference between these two, but I am genuinely curious. Is it unheard of for people to actually prefer the 598 over the 600, ever? And finally, how would you define the differences and similarities between these two products from the same family?  
Thank you very much and may you have a wonderful evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back