Total AirHead Power Supply Question
Jan 4, 2006 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

replytoken

500+ Head-Fier
Would I expect to hear a difference between running a Total AirHead on batteries vs. a 12v wall wart that meets Headroom's specs? I know that AC power can possibly introduce noise or hum, but would the 12v supply provide something that the batteries cannot? The amp will be driving HD-600's.

Jan 4, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Smokester
I don't hear any difference (including no additional hum) when my TAH is powered with the Headroom wall wart.

Seems about the same to me as well.

Ant

Jan 4, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
It was suggested that the amp might tighten up on the bottom end with power coming from a wall wart rather than batteries.

The PS helped my older, 2 & 3 battery model-Airheads considerably on all counts. I assume it still holds true for current models.

Jan 4, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
The PS helped my older, 2 & 3 battery model-Airheads considerably on all counts. I assume it still holds true for current models.

It's probably worth noting that mine is the newer 4 battery model and all of the headphones I use with it are relatively efficient. There may be a difference that just isn't as noticeable to me due to headphones or the fact I almost always run with it via the wallwart and don't get an opportunity to compare battery powered often in a critical listening mode.

Ant

Jan 5, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 10
I have the earlier version of the TAH, using three AAA batteries. Using Sennheiser HD580's I could not hear any difference between running on batteries and running on a 12 volt wall-wart.

Jan 5, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 10
Older 3 AAA model here, used with HD580s. With a 12V Rat Shack wall wart, I get a bit more kick from orchestral slams and somewhat less congestion in full crescendos than with batteries when the volume is cranked up. Don't notice any difference with pop music at safe listening volumes.

Best,
Beau

Jan 17, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #9 of 10
Well, I was listening to The Blind Boys of Alabama today using the TAH on batteries, and the clipping light kept coming on. Once I plugged in the wall wart, the light stopped coming on. I know the batteries have only been in the unit for a few hours, so I guess for some types of music that can more easily cause an amp to clip, the wall wart does help out. Some is good, more is better, and too much is just enough!!

Apr 12, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 10
I think that there is a difference with electrical connection.  Maybe needs a little bit more time for me to recognize the changes.  I feel there is.  Anyways, with or without music and at low volume, I hear a hum. When I go back to the 4 AAA batteries, the hum is gone.  Any suggestions on what needs to be done?  Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back