Toslink is not so bad after all
May 19, 2019 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

schnesim

New Head-Fier
I just did an A/B comparison between the Mimby being fed the same track once from my computer via the Gustard and also via the CD transport.

Not being a very experienced listener it took me some back and forth to really be able to point out the main difference I was hearing.
All in all, the optical stream from the transport had slightly better focus and sounded less mushy compared to SPIDF from the Gustard. It was one of these things which are really subtle but once being heard cannot be unheard.

I just wanted to share my experience here, that depending on the circumstances, even the not so well regarded optical connection is able to fare pretty well (YMMV). Cabling was all Amazon Basic stuff.

(Now I better move my attention to the generic 15ft USB cable feeding the Gustard.)

May 19, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 50
I just did an A/B comparison between the Mimby being fed the same track once from my computer via the Gustard and also via the CD transport.

Not being a very experienced listener it took me some back and forth to really be able to point out the main difference I was hearing.
All in all, the optical stream from the transport had slightly better focus and sounded less mushy compared to SPIDF from the Gustard. It was one of these things which are really subtle but once being heard cannot be unheard.

I just wanted to share my experience here, that depending on the circumstances, even the not so well regarded optical connection is able to fare pretty well (YMMV). Cabling was all Amazon Basic stuff.

(Now I better move my attention to the generic 15ft USB cable feeding the Gustard.)

Thanks for sharing your impressions. I don’t know what a Mimby or a Gustard is, but I cannot imagine why digital signal transmitted over an optical cable would make any difference at all to the sound. It’s just ones and zeros being transmitted in the form of light transmissions isn’t it? I don’t doubt your sincerity at all, but from what little I know I think of optical cable being one of the most infallible methods of transmission of a digital signal. I usually think of optical as the cleanest possible run if it is available. It would seem it is not susceptible to any kinds of magnetic or electronic interference. Anyone correct me if I’m wrong.

As to whether something else in your system could be causing the difference you perceive, @castleofargh usually has a knowledgeable and open mind. There is also the possibility that there is no audible difference but it’s human nature to perceive one until you try some blind level-matched testing yourself or you learn a little about the nuts and bolts of digital audio. The first post in the Testing Audiophile Claims and Myths thread that is one of the stickies in this sub forum can be an eye opener.

If you can kind of get past that hurdle you can move on to things that are relatively simple that are more likely to make audible improvements, if it’s worth it to you. Sometimes the best thing you can do is make the obvious changes if any are needed and then focus more on the music rather than try to listen for very small or inaudible differences. If you listen to a piece of music two or three times you will hear bags more new details than small changes to an audio system will reveal. There’s no nirvana to be had in the sound standing on its own, the magic’s in the music. Hearing good music on a nice system is of course the best of both worlds and can be a blast.

I am not the expert here by any means, but I thought you deserved a response.

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 50
All in all, the optical stream from the transport had slightly better focus and sounded less mushy compared to S/PIDF from the Gustard. It was one of these things which are really subtle but once being heard cannot be unheard.
Both optical and coaxial are S/PDIF.
So when you say "S/PDIF", your talking about the coaxial connection?

May 19, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 50
There are expensive optical cables out there and I can imagine experienced listeners hearing a difference since in theory a less pure fibre might degrade the signal.

The main reason people with high end gear prefer not to use optical is the break in the medium. Meaning you go from electrical to optical and then back to electrical and inevitably those two conversions are an additional source of jitter.
You can get around the jitter issue, like Ted Smith does with his DACs but he's the only DAC designer I know of how does this.

Both optical and coaxial are S/PDIF.
So when you say "S/PDIF", your talking about the coaxial connection?

Yes, I meant coaxial. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 50
Not really a big confusion,
I guess S/PDIF coaxial came out first, which is normally labeled "S/PDIF", then S/PDIF optical came out, and they labeled it "Optical".

May 19, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 50
There are expensive optical cables out there and I can imagine experienced listeners hearing a difference since in theory a less pure fibre might degrade the signal.

The main reason people with high end gear prefer not to use optical is the break in the medium. Meaning you go from electrical to optical and then back to electrical and inevitably those two conversions are an additional source of jitter.
You can get around the jitter issue, like Ted Smith does with his DACs but he's the only DAC designer I know of how does this.

Sounds like audiophoolery to me. I think you are in the wrong forum...

May 19, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 50

Do you know of any specific cables that are "less pure" and audibly different? Would the impurities introduce digital error?

How much jitter is introduced by going from electrical to optical? I'm assuming from what you're saying that it's still bit perfect.

Was this thread created in Sound Science or did some mod transport it here to entertain us?

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #8 of 50
1a) I haven't auditioned different optical cables, so I can't say. 1b) In theory impurities can introduce error, yes.
2a) I don't know how much jitter is introduced, this probably depends on the sender, medium and receiver. 2b) I'd be impressed to see any digital connection without error correction that is bit perfect
3) This thread was created here by me. If this is the wrong forum, somebody please move it to the correct one.

May 20, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 50
@castleofargh usually has a knowledgeable and open mind.
lies! :stuck_out_tongue:
the only time I consider audible changes is when I've already seen solid evidence of it happening for ... reasons. but when I haven't been provided with such evidence, my default position on listening experiences is to start with the null hypothesis. so long as nobody succeeds in properly disproving it, I very much stick to that hypothesis and reject statements of the contrary. many have called me narrow minded because of that.
a sighted experience is not going to count as evidence and shouldn't(too many variables), unless it comes with some objective data clearly suggesting audible change. for example if measurements were to show that one input adds 5% distortions in the midrange, then I'd believe a sighted anecdote about audible difference without making things difficult. because the objective data has already been proved to be able to cause more than Just Noticeable Differences. it would be silly to ask somebody to prove that he can tell a SR80 and a HD800 apart. but a sighted impression alone like we have here, true or not, I cannot have enough confidence in it to count that as evidence. we need a lot more data.

about optical vs whatever, one cool trick of optical is that you don't risk ground loop issues, so those with such problem often solve it with some optical adapter of sort.
on the other hand, in my limited experience, optical options rarely offered the best measurements. so it's probably better to consider a case by case approach to those choices.

May 20, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #10 of 50
[1] There are expensive optical cables out there and I can imagine experienced listeners hearing a difference since in theory a less pure fibre might degrade the signal.
[2] The main reason people with high end gear prefer not to use optical is the break in the medium. [2a] Meaning you go from electrical to optical and then back to electrical and inevitably those two conversions are an additional source of jitter.
[2b] You can get around the jitter issue, like Ted Smith does with his DACs but he's the only DAC designer I know of how does this.

1. What signal are you talking about? Sure, in theory the digital data signal could/would be somewhat degraded by a less pure optical cable. However, digital data is just zeroes and ones, a degraded zero or one is still just a zero or a one and therefore, there is absolutely NO difference in the data and NO difference in the analogue signal after it's converted. In other words, digital/binary has just two states, zero or one (on or off) there is no state that can represent a degraded zero or one, so it cannot make any difference how degraded the signal is, provided it's not so terribly degraded that the zeroes and ones can no longer be differentiated (in which case you'd get obvious errors, clicks/pops for example). This is of course the reason that binary/digital was invented in the first place! So, I can't "imagine experienced listeners hearing a difference, since in theory" there is absolutely no difference (in the actual data), however, I can very easily imagine some audiophiles perceiving/imagining a difference!

2. That statement is untrue. The main reason people with high end gear prefer not to use optical is because optical cable is relatively easily damaged compared to the alternatives. That's not really an issue for consumers but is/can be for studios. Did you mean only audiophiles rather than (all) "people with high end gear"?
2a. No, it is not "inevitable" those two conversions will add jitter. Potentially it could but it's irrelevant because ...
2b. Are you saying this because you don't "know of" any DAC designers other than Ted Smith? Any competently designed DAC, even cheap, sub $60, mass produced DACs, "get around the jitter issue" (reduce jitter artefacts to far below audibility) and, this has been the case for many years!

1a) I haven't auditioned different optical cables, so I can't say. 1b) In theory impurities can introduce error, yes.
2a) I don't know how much jitter is introduced, this probably depends on the sender, medium and receiver. 2b) I'd be impressed to see any digital connection without error correction that is bit perfect
3) This thread was created here by me. If this is the wrong forum, somebody please move it to the correct one.

1a. Auditioning optical cables wouldn't enable you "to say" (with any accuracy) either! One could relatively easily compare the digital data after it has passed through the optical conversion/cable with the original data and obtain an accurate, objective answer.
1b. Yes, in theory they could. In practice though, if an optical cable (even a cheap one) had such a high level of impurities that it degraded the signal to the point of zereos and ones not being distinguishable (and therefore "introducing error"), then it would be a defective optical cable!
2a. Firstly, as you're considering jitter to be an error, then there aren't any DACs without error correction, even cheap ones. The only potential exception might be some obscure, esoteric, incompetently designed, audiophile DAC. Secondly, I would NOT be impressed in the slightest to see any digital connection that is bit perfect, as that is the only thing a digital connection exists to do! I would be seriously unimpressed by any digital connection which was incapable of bit perfect transfer!

3. Maybe you missed that this is the "Sound Science" forum? Your "experience" or impressions are only relevant in terms of how they relate to the actual facts/science but unfortunately, many/most of your statements do the exact opposite and contradict the actual facts/science!

I hope I haven't come across as too harsh? Your position is entirely understandable because all or nearly all digital audiophile products only exist by getting audiophiles to believe fallacies/falsehoods. For example, they may correctly state that jitter is bad and therefore that less jitter is better than more jitter. However, they then rely on a fallacy to sell their product, that their product has lower jitter than another product and therefore must sound better. This is a correlation fallacy based on the omission of a vital fact, that beyond a certain point, jitter artefacts are inaudible. For instance, all else being equal, a DAC which has jitter artefacts that are say 10 times below audibility will, by definition, sound identical to a DAC which has jitter artefacts that are say 1,000 times below audibility. They omit the fact that for many years even cheap DACs achieve jitter artefacts more than 10 times below audibility and there are cheap ($60) DACs today that reduce jitter artefacts to about 1,000 times below audibility. The idea that jitter is a problem in modern digital audio equipment only exists in the marketing manipulated understanding/psyche of audiophiles but in reality it's a problem that was solved decades ago! It's a similar situation with bit perfect transfers, assuming the software/driver isn't deliberately altering the bit stream and the system is setup correctly, how often do we actually encounter bit errors in the output of even cheap DACs/cables? It's a potential/theoretical problem that's falsely marketed as a common/real problem that only an expensive audiophile DACs/cables avoid! The difficulty for audiophiles is that this false marketing is effectively their only source of information, as there's no money/incentive to be made from adhering to the actual facts/science, which is why this sub-forum exists!

G

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #11 of 50
If optical cables transmit data at the speed of light, why would there be any jitter whatsoever, other than at the receiving end of the data?

May 20, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #12 of 50
Jitter is more a quality of, and fallout from, the modulation scheme than of the propagation medium.

Data may be just 1's and 0's, but putting said data on a transport medium (copper, glass or plastic) involves modulation, and demodulation on the receiving end, and there are ... issues.

1's and o's are combined into words of different sizes, representing a digtal code for some audio sample, say, and getting at those words requires knowing when the word begins and ends, and that involves something called a word clock. It's all just 1's and 0's until you know when a word starts. And ends.

Cleverly, both data and clock may be combined in such a way that both can be derived from the demodulated signal. But the process is never quite perfect, and one of those imperfections is called jitter, a simple indeterminancy about the incoming clock and its related data.

In any case, as they say, if it ain't signal, it's noise, and it's also noise if you can't tell the difference, which is why jitter is a bad thing. SP/DIF specifies no particular data rate, so it must be derived from the signal. Ditto Toslink.

AES uses higher signal levels than SP/DIF, so signal-to-noise is likely to be better. And better glass in a Toslink jumper is likely to be audibly better for the same reason. It's just case of having more signal to work with when you go to demodulate.

I'm a retired communications engineer, and I've worked with high datarate fiber runs of kilometers plus having miniscule bit-error-rates, and I can assure you that all these kinds of things are well understood in the industry, and there's no magic at all in getting any signal from point A to point B. If cost isn't the primary concern, which is almost never the case.

But there are many, many things that can go wrong, and that's especially true in cost-costrained consumer goods. And in the audiophile world, we still argue over which flint makes the best arrowheads.

That said, I don't let USB anywhere near my music, and use coax and glass where appropriate. :beerchug::beerchug:

May 20, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #13 of 50
...I would NOT be impressed in the slightest to see any digital connection that is bit perfect, as that is the only thing a digital connection exists to do! I would be seriously unimpressed by any digital connection which was incapable of bit perfect transfer!...

Most digital connections are indeed bit perfect because they employ error correction. When it comes to audio there is no error correction since audio is a time sensitive application. In my earlier statement on bit perfect I was only referring to audio, not e.g. file transfer.
Hans Beekhuyzen has a great video on the topic:

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #14 of 50

I have never found any optical cables that were audibly colored. I've also done considerable research, and I can't find any example of consumer audio equipment that has audible jitter. Even the cheapest equipment has jitter levels an order of magnitude below the threshold of audibility. It sounds like you're talking in theory without any evidence that this theoretical coloration exists. This is the Sound Science forum. In the rest of Head Fi, people are free to talk about purely subjective impressions and flat out make stuff up, but here we make an effort to base our comments on evidence.

That said, I don't let USB anywhere near my music, and use coax and glass where appropriate.

Why is that? Have you done a listening test to make sure you can actually hear jitter, or are you just operating on theory? Because I would really like to find someone with first hand experience who can describe exactly what jitter sounds like. The only descriptions I've heard are the typical subjective error descriptions, like veils or muddled imaging, or sympathetic magic like vibrations or stuttering.

Hans Beekhuyzen has a great video on the topic:

I just look at the video thumbnail and my jaw drops. Is he saying that reconstructed sampling forms square waves? And the waveform he is illustrating appears to be beyond the range of human hearing. I don't know if I want to take the time to watch a video with that thumbnail.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #15 of 50
... an order of magnitude below the threshold of audibility...
A university (in Japan iirc) conducted a test were subjects listened to music, once with frequencies up to 22kHz and then music with no frequency cap. Whilst listening, an MRI of the peoples brains was made, and in every case when a sample with ultrasonic frequencies was played, the brains showed significantly more activity compared to redbook sample.
The moral of the story? Just because our conscious mind is not able to make out certain sonic elements doesn't mean, that said elements don't affect us and add to the listening experience.

I just look at the video thumbnail and my jaw drops. Is he saying that reconstructed sampling forms square waves?
No he is not. Watch the video before making assumptions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back