Toshiba HR-V7 Electret Condenser Headphones
Aug 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #16 of 45
Depends on what you want to pay but if you live in  Austria then you should buy a UK amp I am not saying that because I live here but there are many good amp manufacturers with a good reputation in the hi-fi business.like= Naim--quad--Musical Fidelity--Meridian--Cyrus[my own choice]--Sugden--DNM--Audio Research -- NAD and many more . If those are too dear there are good Japanese amps for sale . Stick to the big names like Sony/Pioneer and there is Marantz/Mission [UK] .                 

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #17 of 45
Quote:
Depends on what you want to pay but if you live in  Austria then you should buy a UK amp I am not saying that because I live here but there are many good amp manufacturers with a good reputation in the hi-fi business.like= Naim--quad--Musical Fidelity--Meridian--Cyrus[my own choice]--Sugden--DNM--Audio Research -- NAD and many more . If those are too dear there are good Japanese amps for sale . Stick to the big names like Sony/Pioneer and there is Marantz/Mission [UK] .                 

NAD for example is quite common in Austria. I will search around, but it will take some time. Not that need to safe up money, but I expected this headphone to work out of the box... There is some other project that I am investing in right now (have to restore the W10VTG, that I have laying around at home). I am thinking about selling the HRV7.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #18 of 45

NAD for example is quite common in Austria. I will search around, but it will take some time. Not that need to safe up money, but I expected this headphone to work out of the box... There is some other project that I am investing in right now (have to restore the W10VTG, that I have laying around at home). I am thinking about selling the HRV7.

I know what you mean. I sold my Signet TK-33 Electret phones because my power amp is too far away from where I sit. But I missed the sound of them so I bought a Stax SRS-2170 system.

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

I know what you mean. I sold my Signet TK-33 Electret phones because my power amp is too far away from where I sit. But I missed the sound of them so I bought a Stax SRS-2170 system.

What is the major difference between your Stax System and a "common" dynamic headphone with amp?

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

What is the major difference between your Stax System and a "common" dynamic headphone with amp?

All you nee to know lies in this link...

http://bit.ly/14D7701

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #21 of 45
Can you first try them on someone's receiver or integrated amp? It might be that the faint volume you have there is the drivers themselves having lost charge.  Eliminate that possibility cheaply for yourself before spending $ needlessly.
 If the drivers seem fine after trying another receiver/amp, then you know for sure.

Also if at that point you are still not too happy with the sound you can possibly bypass the transformers in the cups (transformers should be in the cup rears there behind drivers ...)  and rewire them with a Stax electret cable and run them off a Stax adaptor box ( or rewire to a box of your choice  so long as the cable plug end fits the particular adaptor box.)
, but you'll lose portability obviously with no more TRS jack.

Good luck

These being a " Back electret " they use a slightly different setup for what has the permanent charge embedded , but I am sure this was mentioned.
http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Electret_Driver_Principle

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com/aurex/aurexindex.html&usg=ALkJrhjJgktUoNS3oF8WvHDqoR1_Hy9DtQ

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #22 of 45
Quote:
Can you first try them on someone's receiver or integrated amp? It might be that the faint volume you have there is the drivers themselves having lost charge.  Eliminate that possibility cheaply for yourself before spending $ needlessly.
 If the drivers seem fine after trying another receiver/amp, then you know for sure.

Also if at that point you are still not too happy with the sound you can possibly bypass the transformers in the cups (transformers should be in the cup rears there behind drivers ...)  and rewire them with a Stax electret cable and run them off a Stax adaptor box ( or rewire to a box of your choice  so long as the cable plug end fits the particular adaptor box.)
, but you'll lose portability obviously with no more TRS jack.

Good luck

These being a " Back electret " they use a slightly different setup for what has the permanent charge embedded , but I am sure this was mentioned.
http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Electret_Driver_Principle

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com/aurex/aurexindex.html&usg=ALkJrhjJgktUoNS3oF8WvHDqoR1_Hy9DtQ

Ok, I will try. Hopefully there is someone in my friendcircle, who has a receiver or speaker amp.

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #23 of 45

Everybody thinks they're so funny don't they? :cool:

Unlike some others whom I will not mention, I will assume you are asking for my opinion. :D

I find the treble to be cleaner, purer, i.e. less distortion, less peaky than any dynamics I own.
The midrange is also more resolving and transparent, the Stax just seems to sound a bit less mechanical and a bit more realistic and natural than any dynamic I own. The Stax also seems to be a more versatile headphone, it works with a lot of different recordings and types of music.

In some ways , the Stax SRS-2170 almost sounds like a pair of AKG Q701 with all it's problems fixed: treble is less peaky, less harsh, smoother, a more natural midrange and a bit fuller bass.

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #24 of 45
Ok, I will try. Hopefully there is someone in my friendcircle, who has a receiver or speaker amp.

BTW, I think any Stax amp would output way too much voltage for your electrets.

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #25 of 45
Quote:
The midrange is also more resolving and transparent, the Stax just seems to sound a bit less mechanical and a bit more realistic and natural than any dynamic I own.

It tends to be a distinction between planar (ortho and stat) and dynamic in general, at least in the mid-priced category of phones.

You wonder why they didn't keep making electrets - surely, they can't have been too expensive to manufacture given that we now have electret microphones for $.2 each.

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #26 of 45
Vid-- I answered that in my first post on this thread-------. The charge built into them --leaks over a period of time therefore reducing the output over the years. Nobody wants to buy headphones that reduce in sensitivity over the years and think of the trouble --reselling them. Only people who dont know much   about  them would buy them now --unless it was a brand new pair or they have listened to them first. But even leaving them lying in a cupboard still means the charge  reduces over time . It isnt a "use" thing  its time.  I dont think people should do that to others just to make money out of them not knowing about it.

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #27 of 45
I've heard of some problems with some brands of electrets, but not of an endemic leaking of charge. To balance this, I've also heard of Stax drivers having issues with diaphragm-tensioning glue drying out and of the diaphragm losing conductivity.

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #28 of 45
"Not an epidemic of leaking charges"= thats because [as I said in my first post] it leaks ---sloooly-over the years . Maybe I should have said its not a long term good investment. This isnt supposition its a scientific proven fact.You dont buy Stax expecting problems -short term or longer. I do agree though that Stax equipment can and does go "faulty"  AS witnessed in the UK some   years ago when quality control "went down the tubes" and 100s complained in the UK.  But the company was in a bad state and has now been taken over by a Chinese company although it still says Stax -Japan.There are plenty of threads of people complaining of faults on Head-Fi but you have to remember a large number of people own Stax equipment so the actual percentage of owners complaining is low. I have had my -- 007 MK1s since they came out and are still working fine although a bit worse for wear.

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #29 of 45
You might point to a scientific paper on this? There's been much mumbling about electret leakage around these forums, but I've not seen any science nor am I the only one who'd like to.

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #30 of 45
I thought everybody knew that as a matter of fact. I will try and dig up some prove [scientific] for you. But any capacitor leaks and if you go back to the time of electric headphone production methods long ago there were no cutting edge means of holding a charge of high voltage. Maybe times have changed and you can tell me what method is now used--always willing to learn!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back