Toshiba 40GB $99 alert
Apr 12, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #31 of 139
anyone running rockbox on one of these (or th esmaller 20G and 10G units)? does it really fix all the software / firmware issues?

I wonder if office max would price match in-store?... if I walk in with a printed amazon ad?

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #32 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by sayrum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
afaik only 13(?) hours of battery life!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tman1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will rockbox decrease the battery life?

If you look at the Gigabeat F section of the Rockbox website, you'll see that people are reporting 14-19 hours of runtime under normal use, which is pretty damn good. I probably don't get much more than that on my Carbon, and I've never once had a problem with it running out on me. And apparently CPU-scaling has recently (?) been introduced into the firmware, which may increase battery life further. I think that's where the 19 hour report came from.

Now, I just have to decide whether I should forsake my wonderful little Carbon for an extra 35 GB of space...

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #34 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you look at the Gigabeat F section of the Rockbox website, you'll see that people are reporting 14-19 hours of runtime under normal use, which is pretty damn good. I probably don't get much more than that on my Carbon, and I've never once had a problem with it running out on me. And apparently CPU-scaling has recently (?) been introduced into the firmware, which may increase battery life further. I think that's where the 19 hour report came from.

Now, I just have to decide whether I should forsake my wonderful little Carbon for an extra 35 GB of space...

cnet was reporting ~19 hour run times as well. its the last paragraph here...

http://reviews.cnet.com/Toshiba_Giga...tag=prod.txt.5

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #35 of 139
Hmm, anyone want to help up Canucks with a group buy? We pay $10-20 extra for trouble?
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #37 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. mine already came, and I ordered yesterday afternoon. I'm pretty impressed with the packaging, which feels very high class, and I like the fact that they threw in a cheap remote. Not bad for $100.
biggrin.gif

Wow! That is fast. Feel like posting some quick impressions so I can decide if I want to pull the trigger?

Also, is the cradle the only way to connect it to a computer? From what I've read, that's the case, but I haven't seen anything conclusive.

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #38 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. mine already came, and I ordered yesterday afternoon. I'm pretty impressed with the packaging, which feels very high class, and I like the fact that they threw in a cheap remote. Not bad for $100.
biggrin.gif

Wow that was fast!!

Impressions?... please
biggrin.gif
I'm wondering how it sounds with low impedance / high sensitivity IEMs and earbuds.

Are you going to rockbox it? Does rockbox allow for windows explorer drag/drop? and play video too?

thanks!!
Garrett

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #41 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, is the cradle the only way to connect it to a computer? From what I've read, that's the case, but I haven't seen anything conclusive.

You can connect the usb cable to the gigabeat directly.

Febs is correct...drag and drop, and I've read that you can run videos, but all I've done so far is install Rockbox. I listened to the demo songs before installing, and they sounded good but not as good as my Sansa Express, but I literally spent about 3 minutes using the original gigabeat firmware before installing Rockbox. I'll update once I get some music onto the player and play around with it a little.

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #43 of 139
I'm sitting here thinking I should get one on general principle just cos it's so cheap. But would it sound better than the docked karma i'm listening to. no probably not.
I'll spend the money on some more crappy vintage cans before the week is out no doubt. I really must get rid of some of the junk cans i'm not using at all.. I'm running out of room on the shelf.

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #45 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by incognitoedleon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before we all drown in a puddle of our own slobber, is it really rockboxable? The model number is MEGF40S. According to the rockbox frontpage of supported players, it reads "Toshiba: Gigabeat X and F series (the S model is not supported).

Look at post 41, TenaciousO just installed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back