Toshiba 40GB $99 alert
Apr 12, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #17 of 139
It looks like, from reading the amazon comments that it does have a line-out on the dock.

This is damn tempting, oh man.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #18 of 139
Anyone try this out with rockbox? Any reviews? Does it have folder browsing? Does it support Asian characters? Battery life? Sound quality? (Any hiss with IEMs?) Video quality? Line out? Kitchen sink?
blink.gif

Oh damn it, I just talked myself out of buying another DAP and now this comes long....
mad.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #19 of 139
According to cnet, the dock (the only way to get line out) requires an AC connection. I guess it's a good deal if you're not looking to get a portable amp.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #20 of 139
I tested with Shure E4c and SF5Pro(both was showing very good details in music). It's mids was forward and highs was clear with tight puchy bass(very high quality sound). Also no audible hiss at all from headphone jack(Zune made by Toshiba). It's have line_out dock(check the link it's comes with docking station).

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #22 of 139
From what I can dig up it looks like the F40 has a double platter hard drive, so it'll only fit in players that have the room (i.e., X5 60GB or X5L w/ extra batteries removed, Zune, 60/80GB iPod).

If it doesn't fit, don't blame me...

Edit: It looks like the Zune needs to have some sort of metal plate removed from double platter drives for them to fit. I don't know if this needs to be done on the gigabeat drive or even if it can be done, so Zune owners proceed at their own risk.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #23 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arggh! I want!

Damn them and their not shipping to Canada!

I'd be more than happy to have you ship it to me and then I'd ship it on to you. I'm serious by the way. I think it's stupid you can't get it shipped to Canada.

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #25 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowon_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Minus Rockbox, do you need software to load it with music?? (Can you drag and drop in windows?)

Looks like it needs Toshiba's "Gigaroom" software to transfer music, at least according to Wikipedia.

Apr 12, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #27 of 139
If you live near a Office depot just go get one .............

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #30 of 139
Does anyone know if the sound quality would be as good as the Zune, or does the S series (which the Zune is supposedly based on) have better SQ than the F series?

Re: drag and drop- from reading some of the comments on amazon it seems like it could be used as drag and drop, but I'm not sure. Do you really need to load the propietary software, and does it automatically encrypt all your music??

Will rockbox decrease the battery life?

I've been hemming and hawing about which DAP to get (first one) for a year, and for this price I might just jump in with this one (even though it is kind of thick), and get a flash player for daily portable use. hmmmmm....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back