Torpedo III Build Thread
Dec 10, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #316 of 322
I know Tom is closing up shop, but maybe offering the Gerber files for sale on the site for the 3rd iteration would be nice for anyone late to the party, keep the project alive. Maybe DIYAudio could sell the PCBs and chassis. I'd be sad if it just disappeared.

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #318 of 322
Just got my Torpedo and it is singing with my HD800s. Tried a few tubes, so far the quietest & clearest have been the Telefunken E90CC. A real gem of relatively straightforward amp design. Thanks tomb and dsavitsk. Fun to put in a Beezar order again after I first bought some SSMH boards there well over a decade ago.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #319 of 322
Great to hear! I still have mine, love the long thin form factor, very creative. I can't believe it's been 11 years since then. It sits next to my Bottlehead S.E.X., another amp I could never part with.

1702349122337.png

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #320 of 322
Great to hear! I still have mine, love the long thin form factor, very creative. I can't believe it's been 11 years since then. It sits next to my Bottlehead S.E.X., another amp I could never part with.

1702349122337.png

I remember on the Bottlehead forum when you built the Sex with those giant Ampohm output capacitors and Goldpoint attenuator.
It was an amazing build. I still have my Sex amp as well its probably the sweet spot of the Bottleheads headphone amps imo

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #321 of 322
Ok, first set of Philips tubes I tried had a bit of a (microphonic?) hum, but the second pair sound absolutely fabulous. Probably has the edge over the Telefunken for me on the HD800. Both sound lovely. TF probably wins for detail still and Philips for character.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #322 of 322
Either the T1 or T2 can use the Edcors. I have the T1 OG and T2 prototype still available. If someone is seriously interested in my replacing the Edcors for the Cinemags in either one of those amps, please let me know and we can work something out. I would have to order the Cinemags, then remove the Edcors and install them, which would require a bit of labor in addition to the straight material cost of the Cinemags, but certainly do-able. I believe they are still available directly from Cinemag, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back