Torpedo III Build Thread
Apr 5, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #227 of 322
We've recently discovered a way to reliably install the new Mundorf EVO caps (Aluminum.Oil may be the best value/performance combination) into the Torpedo III.  This really raises the performance to a new level, perhaps even more than a pair of great tubes.

Anyway, I completed a new how-to on the T3 website for installing these caps:
Torpedo III Mundorf EVO Parafeed Capacitors Installation
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #233 of 322
I am enjoying my Torpedo III! great dynamics and high resolution with a wide sound stage. A step up from my Bottlehead Crack.

The customer service is amazing! @tomb is really great at helping me and responding to my questions.

Apr 20, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #234 of 322
  I am enjoying my Torpedo III! great dynamics and high resolution with a wide sound stage. A step up from my Bottlehead Crack.

The customer service is amazing! @tomb is really great at helping me and responding to my questions.

Well, thank you very much for those kind comments!  Dsavitsk and I both are very happy that you got everything working.  Another LED is on the way to you now.

Jun 21, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #238 of 322
  I ordered a stock kit with the Solen PB. Are the cap dimensions 26 mm (diameter) x 38 mm and if so does this mean they need to be staggered?

Staggered, yes - but only in the vertical dimension, not horizontally.  It's entirely possible to install three of them and then have the fourth on top of the open space by about a third of its diameter.  I like symmetry, so I solder the two on the outside flush to the PCB, then have the two in the middle raised up by about 1/2" in the same plane.

Just bend the leads down once - just like a resistor - and pop them in the PCB for a trial fit.  You'll quickly see what I'm talking about - it's very simple.

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #239 of 322

Staggered, yes - but only in the vertical dimension, not horizontally.  It's entirely possible to install three of them and then have the fourth on top of the open space by about a third of its diameter.  I like symmetry, so I solder the two on the outside flush to the PCB, then have the two in the middle raised up by about 1/2" in the same plane.

Just bend the leads down once - just like a resistor - and pop them in the PCB for a trial fit.  You'll quickly see what I'm talking about - it's very simple.

Thank you tomb!

Looking forward to building it, something to do with weather starting to get hot in New England :)

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #240 of 322
T3 at home on my desk at work.  So unassuming.  Fantastic sound from this amp, and the form factor is just perfect for tucking it underneath a makeshift monitor stand aside a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back