Torpedo III Build Thread
Nov 7, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #121 of 322
OK.  Sorry that took a while, but I'm caught up with all the orders.  Everything has shipped. 
blink.gif

Nov 7, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #122 of 322
Mine is built (stock) and running in right now. No time for impressions, but I'm pretty optimistic.

I have another pair of tubes to roll in along with the replacement parafeed caps coming Monday. I'll probably run this stock for a week or two before making any changes to hopefully best detect any changes.

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #125 of 322
Will do. The caps will be mundorf evo silver gold in oil to replace the parafeed caps. The tubes i picked up are ge 6072a 5 star.

Really haven't had much head time at all, and I won't be with a familiar source until tomorrow, but...excited. Bass detail seems really nice. Fast, clean, natural, open. More later.

-edit- refined but punchy, cymbals sound great

Nov 9, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #126 of 322
Quick update.

Re: vs Valhalla2 (stock tubes). Listened to Valhalla 2 for about an hour this morning and was thoroughly enjoying it. Now listening to the torp3.
Wow. This is gonna sound kinda gushy and audiophooly (new toy syndrome?), but...veil lifted. Val 2 is kinda soft and round (very slightly on round) compared to torp3. Separation/stage is no contest. Torp3 is highly resolving while still sounding like one cohesive and natural presentation - not pushing itself on you but readily apparent if you "look" for it. Torp3 is punchy but not to the point I'd call it a coloration, also a bit more dynamic in a macro sense. Val 2 sounds a tiny bit fuller (bloomy?) compared to torp3 which still has a solidity to sound that's convincing. I think Val 2 is pretty open sounding, but torp3 is even more so (unrestrained), no hint of congestion.

These aren't huge differences in all cases, and Valhalla 2 is still an incredible value I'd recommend with no hesitation. Torp3 is killer, though.

Nov 9, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #127 of 322
Great! Glad you're liking it.

I haven't heard the Valhalla 2, but the Torpedo 1 easily bested the Valhalla 1, IMHO. I believe there's a fog caused by OTL output electrolytics that is simply not there with either Torpedo.

Just an FYI - I tried a pair of 12AZ7's and did not like them at all. I think higher distortion was readily apparent. Your mileage may vary, but these were a matched pair of GE's that tested pretty well. So, they may not be a good fit for the Torpedo 3.

Nov 10, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #128 of 322
Thanks for the info on the 12AZ7. I think the only other tube I'm interested in is the 12AU7, mostly because I really never need that much gain. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on that, and I'd also like to know if there could be any circuit tweaks to put the tube in optimal operating point (probably plate resistors and playing with the ccs).

Do you have FPE files for the panels? I'm thinking of getting some nice thicker ones made up. This amp is a keeper, so I want to spoil it a bit ;D

I'll probably just use the excellent templates on the build site to more-or-less recreate them.

Nov 10, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #129 of 322
  Thanks for the info on the 12AZ7. I think the only other tube I'm interested in is the 12AU7, mostly because I really never need that much gain. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on that, and I'd also like to know if there could be any circuit tweaks to put the tube in optimal operating point (probably plate resistors and playing with the ccs).

Do you have FPE files for the panels? I'm thinking of getting some nice thicker ones made up. This amp is a keeper, so I want to spoil it a bit ;D

I'll probably just use the excellent templates on the build site to more-or-less recreate them.

A few of my favorite (non-mega buck) 12AU7's are the Mazda CIFTE, Tungsram 12AU7 (beautiful, liquid midrange), and Raytheon 12AU7 (curved, black plates).

Nov 10, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #130 of 322

No FPE files, but there are plenty of drawings on the website. I will also buy back the original endplates from you if you decide to go that route.

I have run a number of 12AU7's through the Torpedo III, including my personal favorite, the 5963. All have done very well. I would highly recommend that option for Grados and other efficient phones that don't need much gain. The gain is pretty low, though, so keep an eye on it with your particular headphones. If you're cranking it up to 9 or 10 o'clock on the volume all the time, you should probably use another tube.

Sounds like FlySweep has some 12AU7 recommendations, too.

Nov 10, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #131 of 322
With the 12AY7 in I don't get much play on the volume knob. 12AU7 could be good. Man there are some expensive 12AU7s!

EVOs are in and cooking. Impressions will have to wait again.

axodua.jpg

15pgx6r.jpg

I added some additional spacers and supports here and there to solidify things after these pics were taken.

Nov 10, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #133 of 322
Good idea. I don't think i actually have a thermometer in my house, oddly enough. I'll have to pick something up and check out the temp between the caps and tubes.

I couldn't find my teflon tape so i used heatshrink anywhere there could be potential for a short. I'd feel better with them teflon wrapped, though.

Nov 10, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #134 of 322
Good idea. I don't think i actually have a thermometer in my house, oddly enough. I'll have to pick something up and check out the temp between the caps and tubes.

I couldn't find my teflon tape so i used heatshrink anywhere there could be potential for a short. I'd feel better with them teflon wrapped, though.

I honestly think if you have them sticking out of the case, like cut four equal disks off the top of the casing, and have the caps sticking out would be a better and safer option. I mean, if I paid $100 a pop for those caps, I'd do that not to risk them being boiled by the tubes. They are pretty too.

Nov 10, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #135 of 322
With them being axial caps, not sure i could get them situated how I'd like and the leads would be short, but I'll explore the option. Maybe cut a large hole over the tubes and caps then finish it with some grating or mesh that'd allow heat to escape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back