Toronto Winter Meet
Feb 17, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #197 of 322

Not wanting to put a spanner in the works, but Speaker Systems do not work at headphone meets and are usually strongly discouraged.  If one system is initially permitted then others follow suit and the dynamics of a HeadPhone meet break down.  A separate meet for speakers systems would be more advisable and workable.

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #198 of 322
  Not wanting to put a spanner in the works, but Speaker Systems do not work at headphone meets and are usually strongly discouraged.  If one system is initially permitted then others follow suit and the dynamics of a HeadPhone meet break down.  A separate meet for speakers systems would be more advisable and workable.

I agree with this. As I said, I can bring my bookshelfs downstairs if there is lots of interest in a brief planned audition, since for me it's not inconvenient. But I would discourage anybody else from bringing speakers systems as it's not only difficult to transport, but also requires plenty of space, AC power, and generates lots of heat (something a party room with lots of people in it does not need), plus of course noise pollution.

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #199 of 322
JAG87 i'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but how will parking work out for those who drive?

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #200 of 322
  JAG87 i'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but how will parking work out for those who drive?

Excellent question actually.

There is a green P parking lot right beside my building, but of course you have to pay for that. I'm not sure of the hourly rate, but I can find out tomorrow on my way to work. The lot can fit well over a dozen cars.

There is also a "free" option, but it's limited. It's a road called Humberstone Dr. alongside Avondale Park (google it). You can park along that road for free, however like I said it's limited and also a bit farther away from my building.

Another option would be to get some visitor's passes, but I'm not entirely sure how many I can get and I don't want to be unfair to anyone.

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #201 of 322
you should assign priority parking to ppl that is carry heavy equipment.
Others that carry headphones and portables does not need it as much as ppl carry mono blocks~

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #203 of 322
Hey everyone, quick update regarding the parking situation for those that are wondering if they can drive to attend.

I have inquired with the concierge and we can basically get all of the empty visitor's parking on the Saturday morning in question. So that's a big plus. You will need to park in the 15 minute visitor parking first, come inside, give your license plate, and get your voucher. This is on a first come first serve basis. If we run out of visitor's parking, the lot across the street (which is actually called TargetPark, not GreenP) is $6 for the full day. And of course there is always the free option, but you have to walk a bit farther.

That is all. 14 people coming so far, keep those PMs coming.

Here is the post for those who missed it:
Okay torontonians, listen up! I asked about the rec room and it's $100 to book for the day. I only require 48 hours notice to book it. If you guys want to make this happen sooner rather than later, PM me with the following information:

- Your real name
- Your email address (I will try to keep all communication on head-fi, but if it doesn't work out I'll start an email thread)
- If you are bringing any guests
- Your preferred date between the 5 saturdays in March (Mar1 - Mar 29), majority wins.
- Equipment you are bringing for sure (I will compile a list so we can avoid lugging multiples of the same gear).
- If you need parking

As far as the money, I can front the $100. Then what I'm going to do is collect i.e. a $5 or a $10 or $20 bill (based on estimated attendees) upon arrival and give you a ticket. When you leave, I will give you change back (based on how many actually show up) and take your ticket. I will also hand out name tags with head-fi nicks and real first names. The room is big enough to fit 30-40 people and there are tables for our equipment there already. We will probably need a few power strips. Meet will probably run from noon till 6 or 7 pm.

That's all. BYOB and BYO snacks if you know you'll get hungry.

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #209 of 322
  Thanks for hosting this meeting. You're doing a great job!

Thanks! 

Quote:
  So is it finalized for a Saturday? Because I rarely have a free Saturday but I'm off always on Sunday.

I decided in the beginning to do it on a Saturday, as Sundays doesn't work as well for me. Which Saturday however is not yet finalized. We will decide by the end of this coming week.

Quote:
  I'd definitely be in if it's going to be the last 2 Saturdays of March.

Send me a PM with your info!

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #210 of 322
There's about 27 people right now.  Let's try and break 30 folks!

Unfortuantely, It's pretty much down to the Saturdays in March.  Leaning towards the last 3 weeks with the last 2 being most likely. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back