Toronto Winter 2014 Meet-up (great) photos, & Impressions
Oct 5, 2014 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

jerg

Headphoneus Supremus
Toronto winter head-fi meetup! Original thread

Photos coming soon..EDIT: photos 2 posts down!

Post away guys. 
redface.gif

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 20
Holy CR@P! today just way too much fun!

Probably more drinking (Scotch/Starbucks) than auditioning but with great people and a whole lot of fun!!  I can believe we killed the bottle of scotch I brought plus more.

@FallenAngel - Thanks Pavel for another great meet! Good scotch, great HP's and fabulous people.  

@punkaroo - You're awesome! it was a pleasure meeting you! Great fun!

@jerg - Great meeting you.  Loved your HE560 mods!! Been following you since my HE400/He500 days.

@charliex- Pleasure as always!! Gotta love the Oprheus!!

To everyone else, Thanks!

To whomever woke me up from my iPhone6 / HE400i audition.. I was really enjoying my nap and the HE400i.. don't do it again :wink:

The Bryson setup was a looker and definitely impressive!

D@MN! I'm looking at a few more purchases right now.  HE400i for travel and mating with my iPhone6 and AK100 MkII.
Westone UM2 / UM Pro20 for my daily GO Train commute.

Let the pictures be published!!
Hugs and Thanks to all!!

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 20
As no one else volunteered, I turned into the impromptu photographer for the meet-up.

I'll post my impressions later; much thanks for Pavel for hosting us!

The folks!

Mark's setup

Brian's collection...

Enjoying some Grados..

HE400i being examined..

Some close-ups; HP1000.

K1000.

Some fuel for the meet-up.

Jade.

Baby Orpheus.

STAXes (007mk1, 404limited).

Another setup..

Pav's setup and..

..A pile of cans!

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 20
^^ Nice! Thanks Jerg!

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 20
Oct 6, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 20
Another TERRIFIC meet - gotta say Pavel, you do host some of the best headphone meets bringing together not just great gear, but an awesome group of head-fiers - knowledgeable, friendly and so very helpful.
As per other meets I seem to be cursed with issues, but thanks to Mark, Pavel and others we managed to pull off the seemingly impossible and got both electrostatic and dynamic amps up and running.  I'm pleased to report that the occasionally and intermittently observed 'buzzing'/static issues disappeared totally once I set everything up at home with a different and improved DAC (Musical Fidelity M! upsampling DAC), my desktop computer and better cabling. 
I came away with a vintage Grado RS 1 that I had been seeking for awhile, and now wanting a HIFIMAN HE-6 and believe it or not I was impressed with my first closed headphone, the Audio Technica ATH-W3000ANV - gotta love this hobby!  Some great conversation with Zorin which I hope that we can continue.  Thanks Jerg for the Jade !! updates, photos and more.  Pat and Brian - great seeing you guys again, it had been far too long and I look forward to some future 'promised' meets.  Loved your Bryston setup (and your avatar) Funkehed and your setup also Monoglycer, especially getting me to come around appreciation wise with the HE-6.
Until next time guys!

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #9 of 20
Awesome meet! Funkehed, your Bryston setup is outstanding! I'd never heard any Bryston gear until yesterday.

Now I'm lusting after a pair of Mad Dogs by Mr. Speakers. The clarity and crispness on these cans was unbelievable!

I didn't want to listen to Bryan's K1000s because I'd probably cry LOL They're that good!

Thank you for setting up this meet, Pavel! It was great!!!

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #10 of 20
MickeyVee, it was a pleasure meeting you as well! You're a hoot! It's nice to know there's another Head-Fier in the Mississauga area! Let me know when you try out Thai Cuisine Experts :wink:

Oct 6, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #11 of 20
It was a great meet! Nice meeting everyone for the first time. Hopefully next time I will be able to bring my own setup to share.

I was very impressed by the bass of jerg's modded HE-560's, and the realism of the Baby Orpheus' midrange was just jaw dropping. I'm not usually a fan of classical music and it's been over a decade since I've been to the symphony, but those HE-60 brought me right back - it sounded just like the orchestra was playing around me.

Oct 6, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #12 of 20
It was a pleasure to meet all of you and enjoy some scotch, great audio gear & conversation.

Pavel, thanks for hosting, it was great to meet you.

Bryan & Pat always good to see you guys!

I fell in love with the AKG K-1000s, amazing cans! The Jades were excellent too!

Bryan, enjoy the super vintage RS-1s

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #13 of 20
  Awesome meet! Funkehed, your Bryston setup is outstanding! I'd never heard any Bryston gear until yesterday.

Now I'm lusting after a pair of Mad Dogs by Mr. Speakers. The clarity and crispness on these cans was unbelievable!

Too bad I had to leave before trying Mad Dogs. Seem like I can go to the meets infinitely as there always something to try, although I'm pretty settled with my system as for now.

Pavel, thank you for your sacrifices =)

Oct 8, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #14 of 20
Darn I forgot to check out the Mad Dogs too!! Someone plan another meet, stat!

Thanks as always Pavel, and to everyone who came out and shared their goodies

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #15 of 20
Hey all,
I've decided that I want to really simplify my HeadFi experience.  I'm happy with the HE560 even though it is not technically adept as the HD800.. so, going up for sale are:

1. Woo WA6 with three rectifiers (Sophia Princess, New Production Mullard & Stock Woo)  and 4 sets of driver tubes (2 sets of 6DE7 tubes and 2 sets of 6SN7 tubes with the Woo adaptor)
  2. HD800 with the really cool ADL carbon fibre/rhodium connectors

I have all of the original packaging.  PM me with any questions or pricing.

Cheers, Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back