Toronto Meet - Sunday March 6th
Mar 7, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #196 of 231
UGH I completely forgot about this meet until this morning. It didn't help that head-fi stopped sending me thread subscription updates.

My apologies, I'll do my best to attend the next one. 

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #197 of 231
Thanks to Pavel for organizing the meet!

Like a couple other this was my first meet. I got to listen to many good and interesting headphones!

Some of my favorites were the HE-5's as well as the AKG240 Sextets. I found that it didn't prefer the sound of the Beyer's all that much (the open cans were better). The Senn HF650's were nice to listen to but personally I still prefer the Gado Sound.

I will have some pictures up later tonight i hope (ill post them in here if there isnt an impressions thread yet)

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #198 of 231
Thanks for coming everyone, it was another great time.

Finally got to try the M50 and I gotta say, they're all hype!
The O2 are again one of my absolute favorite headphones.
RS2 are great with the mids, a little shrill on the highs.
HE6 sound great, but absolutely do not fit me (small head, big headphones).

The winner of the raffle unfortunately wasn't there, so they'll get their AlienDAC a little later, and as I had tried all of the scotches, my memory of exactly who won fails, good thing for having the winning ticket at home, will post it once I check it again tonight.

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #199 of 231
A wonderful meet!  I think I enjoyed the conversations and whiskey as much as I did the music and headphones!

Most impressed by:

Stax O2 Mk1 - even if they were suffering from a minor defect, they were still highly functional once the channels were manually balanced and how well everything seemed to flow out of them was like having my ears massaged... And yes, there was a happy ending.

Least impressed by:

Audio-Technica M50 - I definitely agree with Pavel that they are pretty well all hype. The bass muffled a lot of the mid-range and made it very hard to enjoy much out of it, but they were quite forgiving because of that, however I still wouldn't recommend them at their price range.

Honourable mentions:

The Phiaton MS 400s were much better than I expected and I would definitely consider them as a portable headphone... Although the bright red still scares me off! If you don't mind the colour, I would easily recommend these if you were considering M50s. The Grado HF-2s were also lovely, which I actually got to listen to in peace at Krow's house before the meet and the RS2s were pretty awesome as well, but definitely left me wanting more from the mid-range, which make me want to try the RS1s even more.

A special thanks to Garry  A.K.A. D.n.d (it was a pleasure meeting you and the ride was very much appreciated), Chris A.K.A. Djarum (fun and interesting conversations and the best scotch there... that I have officially confirmed cannot be found at the LCBO any more) and of course Pavel A.K.A. FallenAngel (Great host, great conversations and I will definitely be buying a bottle of Aberlour!).

I hope to see you all at the next meet and hopefully Charliex will be able to make it as I was a little heartbroken I didn't have a chance to try some of your wonderful collection!

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #200 of 231
I thoroughly enjoyed the meet. It was nice to have people there with some high end IEMs.

Also interesting comments about the m50s, at that price point, I don't think anything is better, and I honestly don't feel the bass is bloated at all compared to other portables in that price range.

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #201 of 231

Quote:
I thoroughly enjoyed the meet. It was nice to have people there with some high end IEMs.

Also interesting comments about the m50s, at that price point, I don't think anything is better, and I honestly don't feel the bass is bloated at all compared to other portables in that price range.

How do the M50's comapre to the Shure 840s?  Those are on sale at Futureshop right now for $129.99 down from $199.99.  Sorry if I'm going off topic, but I thought some people might want to know about the sale cause I've heard good things about them and I think they're around the same price range.

Also, one thing to add, as this was my first meet, I didn't know the etiquette about trying out people's gear.  But everyone was telling me to go ahead and try whatever with no worries - I liked that.

Mar 7, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #202 of 231

Quote:

How do the M50's comapre to the Shure 840s?  Those are on sale at Futureshop right now for $129.99 down from $199.99.  Sorry if I'm going off topic, but I thought some people might want to know about the sale cause I've heard good things about them and I think they're around the same price range.

To continue this OT I'm also interested in them ...to bad the closest stores that have them in stock are in Oshawa and Burlington (I'm in DT)

Mar 7, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #203 of 231
So sorry I missed this meet guys - I had my gear all packed and ready to rock n roll, and I was hit with a minor family emergency
necessitating a visit to a clinic.  It looks like there was a great turnout and Pavel always puts on the best of meets (must be the scotch).
I am REALLY looking forward to the next meet and will do my damnest to be there this time.  See you all then : )

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #204 of 231
Thanks to Pavel for organizing such a great meet! The gear was phenomenal and you guys were all really great to chat with. As a newbie, I learned a ton!

Highlights for me were being able to compare so many different cans: two pairs of Stax (which were just soo clear!), a whole mess of Grados (esp. the nearly unrecognizable SR325 - I think every Grado should sound that great), and the HD650s (which really just makes me want a pair). And I completely fell in love with the AKG240 Sextetts, which were a completely new find for me!

Now to do more research into my next pair...!

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #205 of 231
In before pictures, which will be ready in a couple of hours

Many thanks to Pavel for organizing such an incredible meet, great people, amazing setups and wonderful atmosphere! It was great to see and talk to you all!

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #206 of 231

Quote:

Also, one thing to add, as this was my first meet, I didn't know the etiquette about trying out people's gear.  But everyone was telling me to go ahead and try whatever with no worries - I liked that.

I'd easily recommend the Shure 840s over the M50s.

The 840s aren't great for portable (they're heavy and the headband bends to stick out around your head and do not come with a straight cable), but if for home use, they're great and much more detailed and have a far more balanced sound than the M50s. Not very smooth headphones, far better for studio or multimedia use due to instrument separation and detail, but still great headphones, especially for that price.

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #207 of 231
Thanks Pavel for the organization and logistics of the meet.  Really enjoyed the HE-5 and 6.  The HE-6 needs a lot of juice to bring out that deep bass; more than the 600 ohm beyers!  What initially struck me was their weight.  They are beefy headphones and not sure how they fare comfort-wise on extended listening sessions or if they stay securely on while lying down.  Stax were nice though need more time with my test tracks for wishlist consideration.  Other pleasant surprises were the HF2 and Phonaks.

Quote:

I prefer the M50 over the SRH840 in both sound signature and comfort.  The latter kept falling off my head so they're better suited for big noggins.

Mar 8, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #209 of 231
Thanks Pavel for the organization and logistics of the meet.  Really enjoyed the HE-5 and 6.  The HE-6 needs a lot of juice to bring out that deep bass; more than the 600 ohm beyers!  What initially struck me was their weight.  They are beefy headphones and not sure how they fare comfort-wise on extended listening sessions or if they stay securely on while lying down.

Personally I got used to their weight pretty fast, but some other (former) owners have complained about it. I guess it all comes down to your neck muscles :p

Mar 8, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #210 of 231
Link to album in JPG: http://www.fileserve.com/file/tgkrjYh (60.8MB rar file)

My laptop and external monitor is not calibrated so there might be an odd colour shift. I also blame that JPG lossy conversion! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back