Torn between SF5P and ER4P...
Apr 26, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #47 of 74
I received the ER4P earlier today...here are my quick initial impressions:

1) Listening to metal, it doesn't seem to carry the resonance of toms too well, and lacks some definition and "impact"...can sound artificially "damped". Switching back to my Infinity Primus 150 speakers makes this clearly obvious.

2) Bass depth and accuracy are good, but output levels leaves something to be desired, at least for metal (and possibly other genres, including Indian music involving tablas). Again, going back to the Infinity's, the bass is just as tight and deep, but the output is satisfactory as well.

3) Midrange and high frequencies are indeed detailed, but this does not compliment too well for harsh and sometimes poorly recorded metal music. However, playing some Ghazal Indian music (with tablas, percussions, sitars, male vocals, and other stuff) it sounds very clean and detailed.

Though it may seem like my impressions are negative, this is just my very initial, un-thorough impressions (in terms of listening time, not writing length). Maybe my impression will change as I listen more and my ears get used to it. By no means can I declare the ER4Ps a disappointment. I need to do a lot more listening and maybe some getting used to before I make final judgments.

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #48 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miester_V /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1) Listening to metal, it doesn't seem to carry the resonance of toms too well, and lacks some definition and "impact"...can sound artificially "damped". Switching back to my Infinity Primus 150 speakers makes this clearly obvious.

2) Bass depth and accuracy are good, but output levels leaves something to be desired, at least for metal (and possibly other genres, including Indian music involving tablas). Again, going back to the Infinity's, the bass is just as tight and deep, but the output is satisfactory as well.

3) Midrange and high frequencies are indeed detailed, but this does not compliment too well for harsh and sometimes poorly recorded metal music. However, playing some Ghazal Indian music (with tablas, percussions, sitars, male vocals, and other stuff) it sounds very clean and detailed.

Though it may seem like my impressions are negative, this is just my very initial, un-thorough impressions (in terms of listening time, not writing length). Maybe my impression will change as I listen more and my ears get used to it. By no means can I declare the ER4Ps a disappointment. I need to do a lot more listening and maybe some getting used to before I make final judgments.

Wise words right there. And nice initial impression of the Ety's...

Ply

Apr 26, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #52 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
u'd wanna think about upgrading your source and your music

I think both my source and my music are up to snuff, tbh. It is my perception of sound that perhaps need some tweaking...or not...I'll have to wait and see.

As for the fit...I tried out the default ones that came pre-attached. It seemed fit and snug enough...nothing that made me too uncomfortable, other than the fact that it is seated deeply inside my ears, and the constant worry of microphonics..

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #54 of 74
Quote:

what's your source?

Foobar w/KS --> M-Audio Revolution --> S/PDIF --> Musiland MD-10 DAC w/internal amp

This would be well within the listening requirement of the ER4P...remember, it was designed with portable listening in mind. Though I plan to use them exclusively with my Rio Karma, which needs to be repaired (battery problem). Rio Karma is most likely inferior to the setup I used for my impressions. MP3 files are encoded in LAME V2 new...honestly I don't think that played a factor into my impressions.

Apr 26, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #55 of 74
First you say we should get a better source...
Quote:

u'd wanna think about upgrading your source and your music

Then you say to change tips...
Quote:

oh yea - try westone comply tips

Finally you blame it on the source...
Quote:

what's your source?

I mean come on....

Apr 26, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #56 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by _M2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First you say we should get a better source...

Then you say to change tips...

Finally you blame it on the source...

I mean come on....

confused.gif
nooo...

Apr 26, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #57 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miester_V /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You have a better start than mine. Give it a week or two and you gonna love them. Me, it's ER-4 all the way now. No other headphones (except STAX) can dethrone my ER-4S rig - period.

Try foamies or complys and you will have impact and slam
etysmile.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #58 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have a better start than mine. Give it a week or two and you gonna love them. Me, it's ER-4 all the way now. No other headphones (except STAX) can dethrone my ER-4S rig - period.

Try foamies or complys and you will have impact and slam
etysmile.gif

EFN is absolutely right
biggrin.gif

Miester_V, try a little bass boost (45-180 Hz) to get used to them, along with the black foam tips (absolutely necessary)

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #59 of 74
Try the P to S cable before giving up. If you still don't like them, there nothing wrong with that.

Apr 26, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #60 of 74
Piccolo, how did you manage to take away the microphonics? I'm trying to wear the Ety à la Shure but the left and right cords still make me hear my steps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back