Torn between SF5P and ER4P...
Apr 21, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #31 of 74
I prefer the ER4 to the SF5P, though I can see people preferring either. They were both very nice. I found that I enjoyed the SF5P better when I EQ'd the bass down about 5dB.

Apr 21, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #32 of 74
I think the q-JAYS(when they come out) would fit most of the criteria nicely. Soundwise it will be in the middle since the 5 Pro and 4P are near opposite ends of the spectrum between neutral/reference and bass driven/consumer sounding.

And the 5 Pro are the less discreet of the bunch as they are quite big.

I've had both and they are worth the money but I'm pretty sure only one of the two will appeal to you. Strictly SQ-wise, the 4P are the better of the two.

Again, initial reports of the q-JAYS seem to indicate they would be the most comfortable, most discrete, have the biggest soundstage, and have enough balance and detail. I think they are going to be in the price range also. The only problem is they are making final adjustments to them now so they might be a couple of months away.

Apr 21, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #33 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very well. Having actually owned the super.fi 5 pros, here is a more technical response: They have a very large amount of bass (nearly 10dB above the reference line at 20hz) relative to the midrange. The loud bass caused me to keep the overall volume at a lower than normal level, which only made the midrange seem even more quiet. The upper midrange (where the majority of vocal information is contained) is recessed by more than 10dB, making music in general and especially vocals sound dull and lifeless. Any attempts to turn the volume up to compensate for this were hampered by the bass becoming painfully loud. That, combined with the lower than average comfort forced me to send them back.

graphCompare.php

Or another perspective.

Graphs don't tell all the picture. Yes, the SF pros do have quite loud bass, and the midrange is further back in comparison, but once used to this is actually quite nice. Vocals sound fine to me. The phones are great fun to listen to. You obviously don't like them which is fair enough, but the graph won't tell anyone whether they will actually like the sound. Flatter does not mean better, necessarily. As for comfort, my ears find the SFs incredibly comfortable in either standard mode or FS mod.

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #34 of 74
The graph was included to provide a visual representation of my points. I thought it would be much easier to understand what I meant by "They have a very large amount of bass (nearly 10dB above the reference line at 20hz) relative to the midrange." if one could actually see it.

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #35 of 74
Also, about the E4 suggestion.. don't get them. They're dark and definitely not neutral. The SF5P isn't neutral either.

In order to meet every one of your criteria you'd need some amalgam of the strengths of the ER4 and E4 IMO.

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #36 of 74
The E4s are pretty dark, but they sound far more balanced then the SF5Ps because the amount of bass is much more inline with the mids and highs.

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #37 of 74
Hmm...I guess one can make the analogy that the ER4P are more like studio monitors with very unforgiving attention to detail. It will not compliment bad recordings or mediocre quality compression. Unlike the hi-fi stereo bookshelves, which may not have the most strict sense of audio reproduction, but is colored in a way as to make the music sound less "analytical" and more flowing like real music.

Is this somewhat accurate of an analogy? If so, I don't really mind the hi-fi, "musically tuned" sound, as long as it's not so obviously distorted in the low and high registers. I mean, speakers like Dynaudio, B&W, Paradigm, Infinity, etc are not technically monitor speakers, but they're not exactly Logitech computer speakers, either.

So where does the SF5P fall in place in this analogy?

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #38 of 74
It falls to the other extreme. Big boosted bass, mids slightly recessed, treble clean but rolled off a bit. It sounds bigger than the Ety but is rolled off on both ends compared to it. The music is blended together, seperation goes to the Ety.

Again, you're two choices are almost polar opposites and you might want something more in the middle. There are other brands/options. The Shure SE310 is available now for $175. It might be an option in between the other two.

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #39 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It falls to the other extreme. Big boosted bass, mids slightly recessed, treble clean but rolled off a bit. It sounds bigger than the Ety but is rolled off on both ends compared to it. The music is blended together, seperation goes to the Ety.

Again, you're two choices are almost polar opposites and you might want something more in the middle. There are other brands/options. The Shure SE310 is available now for $175. It might be an option in between the other two.

Where? If that's true then sure I will seriously consider it. But I can't seem to find one, if not any, place offering it for $180 or less...

Apr 21, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #40 of 74
http://cgi.ebay.com/SHURE-SE310-SE-3...QQcmdZViewItem

The Headroom review seems good. iLounge doesn't like them that much. I personally liked the Super.fi 5 Pro better than the E4 that the 310 replaces. It will still come down to trying for yourself. Your sources, your ears, and musical tastes. You may like many, many of of here buying and selling/returning till you find your sound. Even hours and hours of reading /research aren't as good as experiencing the actual products and how they synergize with your stuff and the true experience concerning comfort/microphonics etc.

Apr 22, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #41 of 74
Agree with Jant71, it depends on your tastes. For me the SE310 is a very good iem. My favorite of the ones I have owned. And I've owned quite a few. Nothing beats hearing phones for yourself and "learning" what sound you like...

Ply

Apr 22, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #42 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miester_V /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where? If that's true then sure I will seriously consider it. But I can't seem to find one, if not any, place offering it for $180 or less...

Watch out for fakes. I read somewhere, can't remember exactly I believe it was Shure.com that there are fake Shures floating around.

Apr 24, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #43 of 74
Well, I made my decision, and decided to get the ER4P. I sat on this a while, and read more impressions and thought it was time to pull the trigger. There wasn't enough of a consensus on the Shure SE310, and along with pricing and possible Ebay scamming, I just didn't want to take the risk. I also figured that out of the choices, I wouldn't mind owning a "reference level" earphone, even if that implies a more analytical and less musical experience. At least I know I'm not getting much, if any, coloration to the music (I saw the FR curve of the ER4P, impressive).

Thanks to everyone for their input.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #44 of 74
congratulations! please post your impressions so me and other head-fiers having the dilemma between the two may get light
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #45 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The KSC75's are great, but the ER-4P's sound better IMO.

One thing to think about if you are using IEM's for home is the duration you will use them. Personally, after about 3-4 hrs of constant listening they become uncomfortable.

Not neccessary true. It really depends on the person's ears and the type/size of fitting they use. The Shure E500's are probably the most comfortable pair of earphones I've listened to. I can wear these for the whole day without feeling pain. I can even wear these and lay on my side and it wouldn't be much of a problem.

Note: The fittings I used with the E500's are the Westone-like ones that come as default the E500PTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back