Torn between SF5P and ER4P...
Apr 20, 2007 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

Miester_V

Head-Fier
This would be my first IEM purchase, and I've gone over the reviews from amazon, pricegrabber, headphonesolutions, and headfi. I still can't make up my mind as to which one I would appreciate in the long run. What makes this decision even harder is that there is basically no price difference between these phones in the market at this moment. So price is not a factor into making a decision.

Here's what an ideal IEM would be for me:

1) overall neutral sound, or at least not overly dark or bright sound
2) respectable amount of detail and resolution
3) un-exaggerated dynamics like bloated, bloomy bass or hyper-sensitive, shrill highs.
4) Some sense of soundstage
5) manageable or preventable microphonics

So which of the two phones fit those criteria better? I should point out the the first 3 criteria can apply to loudspeakers as well. I own a pair of Infinity Primus 150 bookshelves, and I think they are more balanced sounding than my Audio-Technica ATH-500 which sound a bit warmer. I also have a Sennheiser HD497, but I haven't listened to it much after I got my Audio Technica mainly because of comfort.

Apr 20, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 74
Overall impressions I've read over here since 7-8 months so take this with a grain of salt, I never heard these headphones.

1) Etymotics wins here for neutrality.
2) Etymotics wins again.
3) Etymotics wins again, the SF5P have too much bloated bass.
4) Not sure wich one has more but Iems don't have much anyway.
5) SF5P wins here, Etymotics only has a shirt clip to prevent it...

Julien

Apr 20, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 74
killercrush hit it right on the ball.

Apr 20, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 74
I wonder if we could somehow dampen the er 4c microfonics. maybe a thin layer of rubber between the drivers and the jacks? And I seriously think that the sf5ps are a huge disappointment. I would run to the used forum and grab the e5cs there.

Apr 20, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #5 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overall impressions I've read over here since 7-8 months so take this with a grain of salt, I never heard these headphones.

1) Etymotics wins here for neutrality.
2) Etymotics wins again.
3) Etymotics wins again, the SF5P have too much bloated bass.
4) Not sure wich one has more but Iems don't have much anyway.
5) SF5P wins here, Etymotics only has a shirt clip to prevent it...

Julien

BINGO!!!!

Apr 20, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 74
Now, when you people say that the SF5P has bloated bass, are we talking about Logitech subwoofer type of bass bloat or something different? If different, how would you describe it?

BTW, I was not surprised by Killercrush's post...I would've came up with similar assessments. But I need more assurance that these are not exaggerated claims by others because of bias or extreme "fanboy'ism".

Apr 20, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miester_V /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, when you people say that the SF5P has bloated bass, are we talking about Logitech subwoofer type of bass bloat or something different? If different, how would you describe it?

BTW, I was not surprised by Killercrush's post...I would've came up with similar assessments. But I need more assurance that these are not exaggerated claims by others because of bias or extreme "fanboy'ism".

Nope, nothing is exaggerated with ER-4, it has stayed in the scene for 15 years - the very same oldskool design and yet people use them for the reason stated by Killercrush.

For those not familar with ER-4, the first few days or even weeks will be not as exciting. It took me two weeks to get attuned to ER-4 sonic signature and after that anything more than ER-4 bass level is bloated for me.

Apr 20, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #8 of 74
These Etymotics threads are BEGGING ME to buy some !!!
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #9 of 74
I just got my er-4p's about a month ago and i really dont feel like microphonics are a problem as long as you arent moving a whole lot. Especially with music playing.

I have pretty long hair so when no music is playing i can hear it brush against the cords. But considering that you cannot hear ANYTHING else (42dB noise reduction with fomies!!) when you are listening to music, it is not a big deal.

If you plan on walking/moving around alot with these it may pose some issues. I have ridden my bike with them before and the sound of wind passing over the cords is very apparent, although i dont consider a bike ride to be music listening time...

I usually use mine when i study and i find the most annoying thing about them(and probably all IEMS) is finding the perfect fit in my ears for the tips (i have made custom tips and will probably order complys eventually). This can get kind of irritating, the further in your ear you put an IEM, the more it blocks noise, but it also becomes more irritating to your ear canal.

Anyway, you wont be dissapointed with the sound.

Good luck!

-Fizz
ps. I got mine off amazon for 165 (free shipping).

Apr 20, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #10 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These Etymotics threads are BEGGING ME to buy some !!!
evil_smiley.gif

You really, really ought to. I admit that I'm a complete fan boy, but that's based on years of wonderment w/my old ER-4S (now MIA).

Apr 21, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #11 of 74
Quote:

Like a ricer with a cheap subwoofer from circuit city playing music inside a giant bathtub.

Apr 21, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #12 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like a ricer with a cheap subwoofer from circuit city playing music inside a giant bathtub.

I have no idea if I should take your metaphor literally or not. See, it's differences of opinions like this that makes me more confused as I dig deeper into people's opinions of IEMs. I mean, other members also own very fine phones like HD650 and they fully recommend the SF5P, whereas you and others suggest a completely unacceptable IEM by ANYONE'S standard.

I don't want exaggerations or comments spurred up by the inner-fanboy. I am request honest, matter-of-fact, un-fanboy'ish type of responses. The way you describe this IEM, I don't see how ANYONE in headfi would like them...

Apr 21, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #14 of 74
I've auditioned the SF5P's and own the ER-4P's. While I prefer the ER-4P's, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the SF5P's to people who I believe will prefer them.

The SF5P's are fine 'phones and were made with different intentions. The sound signature is bass heavy and doing so sacrifices some detail causing it sound muddy when compared to the ER-4P's. The ER-4P's are extremely neutral which can make them sound "clinical" to some people, and thus boring. The SF5P's accentuate frequencies that people who aren't necessarily looking for the most "detail" will enjoy. For example, the "thump" of bass in hip hop and electronica is more important than clarity and accuracy for some people. The SF5P's were created with that purpose in mind.

In contrast, the ER-4S's were created with the goal of having the most accurate perceived sound reproduction. This means that it attempts to follow what's recorded most accurately as possible with the most detail possible, without adding it's own colorations to the sound. The ER-4P's are a "portable" version of the S's with lower impedance and a slightly bumped up lower end.

Both are great, but for the qualities you've stated above (excluding microphonics), the ER-4P's are the best choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back