Tor Audio Headphone Amps.
Dec 9, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #181 of 209
Update
I watched Passion for Sounds review on the HQPlayer upsampler and downloaded the free version. Sounded good enough that I bought it. My Gustard A22 however does not have a NOS mode but I realised that I could output in DSD direct and the Gustard accepts this input and it sounds more dynamic and smooth.
But thats not the reason for the update, I have been using the PSVane CV181-T1-Mk2 valves for a while and have enjoyed them very much, an excellent clean tube that does very well in the Tor Balanced, thats till I bought a pair of LINLAI E-6SN7. This is a game changer. Biggest single upgrade to the sound I have ever heard. The TOR Balanced driving the Arya Organic has gone into sublime mode. I had to stop listening to the first album as it was soo good my eyes were aching due to constant tears. The increase in depth , 3d, midrange realism, sub bass, high frequencies. The move from standard tubes to the Psvane was subtile but better, this Linlai is not a subtle difference , with no burn it it was so musical. I tried the Ananda and they sounded great too but not a good as the Arya Organic, so its not a Arya only thing. These are the tubes this amp should have come with. This for me is a serious upgrade, you could say with the HQplayer input and the Arya organic output upgrades there was more to be had from the tor balanced and the new tubes have stepped up to let the front end get to the diaphragm's. This tube swap was a bigger upgrade than going from the Ananda to the Arya Organic. For £141 delivered to my door. Great bargain considering the Arya were £1200 , but yes the Arya are defiantly part of the equation here.
I see they have gone up in price as they were on sale at the time I bought them. Looks like £139 + VAT now but still a bargain, I will be buying a second pair soon as backups.

I have difficulties with A-B ing changes as they can be subtle /nuanced . Usually I have to do it backwards and listen to the new thing for a week or so and then go back to the original setup and I can then hear whats missing. Not this time, the sound stage change with the slight increase in depth making it less between the ears, the more believable voices with a slight 3d bubble round them, the bass with detail in it, string details, dynamics. But its more than all this, its so musical. I'm a guy, I don't gush , I'm sensible , logical , measured. I think this tube broke me.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/1005...ain.17.697b1802VK1CzF&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt
The LinLai E-6SN7 is the best current production 6sn7 tube being made. If you don't want to do tube rolling or buy NOS tubes. I would recommend the E-6SN7 tubes over any current production tube. Trust me, I've tried ~15 new production tubes. The E was the best of all that I tried.

A close second would be the LinLai CV181-H. Though, I haven't finished burning in these tubes yet.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...!sea!US!855899674!&curPageLogUid=QnN3faEM2HqV

I belive the LinLai E-6sn7 is based off of this tube. Which is one of the last new production tubes I have left to try.
https://premiumvacuumtubes.com/product/treasure-globe-6sn7-se-pair-gf-limited-special-edition/

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #182 of 209
1000004908.jpg1000004896.jpg1000004897.jpg
1000004888.jpg
Sorry for the spam here, but I'm just so happy with the looks and build of the amp, to me it looks fantastic 😍
I've also done more listening today, and I've not encountered any issues with the HEKS at all. No sign of lack of power or control 👌
Is that the Tube DAC II? I was kinda confused by its description. Is the DAC tube based or are the tubes just for the headphone amplifier?

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #183 of 209
Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #184 of 209
No, this is the Roger, headphone amplifier 🙂
Great input on tubes btw, I've never tube rolled before, but I might give those tubes a try :)
Edit: is this the same one?
https://btb-elektronik.de/en/product/5454/e-6sn7-linlai-e-series-tube-global-elite-flagship-e6sn7gt/
I need a pair?
Yeah, that is the same one.

The Roger uses 1 6SN7 tube and a 6C5S/6X5GT rectifier tube.
So you only need 1 E-6SN7.

I don't know anything about how different rectifier tubes sound. If you want to swap it there seems to be a lot of options.

Here is a full list of what can be swaped for the rectifier tube. I wouldn't do the ones that have a different heater or base.
https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6x5gt.html

Edit: The shorter tube, the one on the left when looking from the front, is the 6C5S Rectifier tube.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #186 of 209
Yeah, that is the same one.

The Roger uses 1 6SN7 tube and a 6C5S/6X5GT rectifier tube.
So you only need 1 E-6SN7.

I don't know anything about how different rectifier tubes sound. If you want to swap it there seems to be a lot of options.

Here is a full list of what can be swaped for the rectifier tube. I wouldn't do the ones that have a different heater or base.
https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6x5gt.html

Edit: The shorter tube, the one on the left when looking from the front, is the 6C5S Rectifier tube.
Doh! Yes, of course I only need one, sorry. Thank you for confirming I found the right one. Think I'll just start with this one, and do rectifier later. From what I understand, the rectifier has less impact on the sound.

Dec 10, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #187 of 209
Thank you for your impressions, I will consider this tube once I get mine, I am sure it will go great with ZMF cans.

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #188 of 209
I tried explaining to my GF, that I would like to get a new $100 "light bulb" for my new amplifier... Didn't go well 🤣
Good thing the Roger is great in stock setup as well. Have really been enjoying its sound over the weekend, my V200 isn't getting much play time at the moment 🎶

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #189 of 209
i've been ABing my piety and roger (that almost sounds illegal...) all day and... for sub $200 everyone should own a nitsch piety!

but to the tor. i've got a rays 6sn7 coming from apos, very curious how that is going to sound.

my two planars (sundara and xs) still sound the tiniest bit off with the roger, but the flipside of that is the joy i get from plugging literally everything else in. lovely little amp... and it's further deepening my take that synergy of gear is way more important than just the price tag.

you can get some absolutely magical combinations going with this amp!

Dec 11, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #190 of 209
i've been ABing my piety and roger (that almost sounds illegal...) all day and... for sub $200 everyone should own a nitsch piety!

but to the tor. i've got a rays 6sn7 coming from apos, very curious how that is going to sound.

my two planars (sundara and xs) still sound the tiniest bit off with the roger, but the flipside of that is the joy i get from plugging literally everything else in. lovely little amp... and it's further deepening my take that synergy of gear is way more important than just the price tag.

you can get some absolutely magical combinations going with this amp!
Did Apos just release that 6SN7?

Dec 12, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #191 of 209
Dec 12, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #192 of 209
i'm subbed to too many youtubers and one of them had a community post about it a few days ago - i ordered it then. i didn't look at tracking so i don't know if apos takes a few days or 25, lol. but it'll get here eventually!

Dec 18, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #193 of 209
Enjoying this amp a lot with my HE1000's! 🤘🎧
1000004988.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back