Tor Audio Headphone Amps.
Dec 6, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #166 of 209
Gotta give it to Dmytro, he is SO quick at answering emails. Hadn't had an update on the tracking for a week, so I emailed him to hear if he could see any further information. He replied in 10 minutes with the lastest update 👌

Dec 6, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #167 of 209
Gotta give it to Dmytro, he is SO quick at answering emails. Hadn't had an update on the tracking for a week, so I emailed him to hear if he could see any further information. He replied in 10 minutes with the lastest update 👌
+1 here. I had my package lost for 13 days, yesterday he sent me an updated tracking... I thought the package was lost..... there is hope now. :smile_phones:

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #168 of 209
Hmm, makes me a bit concerned as I do hope this will work decently with my HiFiMAN's. But I'll see one it gets here... Which should hopefully be soon 😳
Hmm hope ur not disappointed but just to add... I had a Tor Nick and altough there was enough power for my Focal Clear MG Pro (55ohm, non-planar) it wasn't a vast amount of power even for those headphones. I certainly wished/hoped for louder gain as an option if I ever wanted to crank it... Sorry to say I think all of the Tor amp range will struggle with [Hifiman] planars at higher levels. There's just not enough umph.

Think it's more geared towards Senn's and ZMF's at or above 250ohm. I have emailed Tor in the past regarding where the optimal output was measured ie 450mW @ 300ohm etc, but I never got a direct answer. Assuming the advertised mW's are at the higher impedance end, there's really not much power around the 25-60ohm range.

Hope this helps and doesn't dishearten you tho

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #169 of 209
Hmm hope ur not disappointed but just to add... I had a Tor Nick and altough there was enough power for my Focal Clear MG Pro (55ohm, non-planar) it wasn't a vast amount of power even for those headphones. I certainly wished/hoped for louder gain as an option if I ever wanted to crank it... Sorry to say I think all of the Tor amp range will struggle with [Hifiman] planars at higher levels. There's just not enough umph.

Think it's more geared towards Senn's and ZMF's at or above 250ohm. I have emailed Tor in the past regarding where the optimal output was measured ie 450mW @ 300ohm etc, but I never got a direct answer. Assuming the advertised mW's are at the higher impedance end, there's really not much power around the 25-60ohm range.

Hope this helps and doesn't dishearten you tho
I'm not disheartened, but glad that you share your experience :)
After my previous post I did some thinking, and it's okay if the HE1000's don't match perfectly with the Tor amp. I'm way into this hobby now, and if I otherwise like the Tor, I'm sure I'll get some nice dynamic and high impedance headphones at some point. I already like the HD800, and ZMF is very interesting as well 😉

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #170 of 209
having a low power amp gives you the perfect excuse to get a ZMF dynamic headphone!!! I have Atrium on order so I am looking forward to trying them on the Tor Balanced as well as on the QuickSilver.

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #171 of 209
I'm not disheartened, but glad that you share your experience :)
After my previous post I did some thinking, and it's okay if the HE1000's don't match perfectly with the Tor amp. I'm way into this hobby now, and if I otherwise like the Tor, I'm sure I'll get some nice dynamic and high impedance headphones at some point. I already like the HD800, and ZMF is very interesting as well 😉
Perfect then :) I've got some Senn HD6XX on order from Drop that should arrive tomorrow. High impedance cans that will play nice with OTL amps et al. But yeah, i'm thinking a pair of ZMF Verite opens are gonna be my end game... or at least for a long time!

Take care, enjoy the music!

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #172 of 209
having a low power amp gives you the perfect excuse to get a ZMF dynamic headphone!!! I have Atrium on order so I am looking forward to trying them on the Tor Balanced as well as on the QuickSilver.
If ZMF's sound live up to their looks, I want a pair. Man, those are gorgeous looking headphones! To bad I can't audition them :/

Perfect then :) I've got some Senn HD6XX on order from Drop that should arrive tomorrow. High impedance cans that will play nice with OTL amps et al. But yeah, i'm thinking a pair of ZMF Verite opens are gonna be my end game... or at least for a long time!

I already have the HD650, but I find them too "thick" with my OTL, I actually prefer them on solid state.
Excited to see if this is the case with the Tor as well.
Again, thank you for your input, hava great evening 🎧

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #173 of 209
To me they are the most beautiful headphone you can find.
I have had them in the past but I sold them. This time I am planning to keep them even if I have to EQ them to get them to my exact liking...., they are too gorgeous to get rid of them!!!!

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #174 of 209

IMO, the 6XX is absolutely exquisite with the Roger!

Dec 7, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #175 of 209
Hmm, makes me a bit concerned as I do hope this will work decently with my HiFiMAN's. But I'll see one it gets here... Which should hopefully be soon 😳

i'm listening with sundara now - i wouldn't be concerned if i were you. i've been ABing a lot since my first listen and it's not so cut and dry as X is definitely "better" than Y.

i personally prefer those two cans on different amps but the sound is close enough that i'm curious to hear your take.

Dec 7, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #176 of 209
ahhh yeahh... @saujamhamm has reminded me of a VERY valid point... my hearing is pretty old and haggered, so listening at higher volumes is unavoidable (even though i know long term i'm doing more damage). So where i was looking for more amperage power for my Focals, which raised concerns for powering planars, i am biased due to abused ears.
If your hearing is great and on point ie you don't require much gain at all to get decent volumes, then yeah, the Tor might just be enough for you.
How's your hearing, sensitive or naff like mine!?

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #177 of 209
I'd say my hearing is mid, could be worse, but could definitely also be better. I've cursed my use/abuse of the Cerwin Vega loudspeakers I had in my teenage room many times in my adult life 🔊

I'm sitting here looking out the window, as I've been informed that it should arrive today!
So I should know how it works with my HiFiMAN's soon. We are having a very busy weekend though, so it will only be a first impression thing.
Anyway, it's great to have this little "Tor community" with input and information, I really appreciate that 👍

Dec 8, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #178 of 209
Well, you guys didn't exaggerate when you said it was packed very sturdy 👀
PXL_20231208_112813958.jpg
PXL_20231208_112842013.jpg

And the amp looks better than expected 👌
PXL_20231208_120446002.PORTRAIT.jpg
Only tested if it works, which it does, and how loud it plays with the HE1000's. I doubt I'll ever listen higher than 60-65% volume, and most of the time I should be around 40%. So it's plenty for me, for sure 👍
First impression is great.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #179 of 209
1000004908.jpg
1000004896.jpg
1000004897.jpg

1000004888.jpg

Sorry for the spam here, but I'm just so happy with the looks and build of the amp, to me it looks fantastic 😍
I've also done more listening today, and I've not encountered any issues with the HEKS at all. No sign of lack of power or control 👌

Dec 9, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #180 of 209
Update
I watched Passion for Sounds review on the HQPlayer upsampler and downloaded the free version. Sounded good enough that I bought it. My Gustard A22 however does not have a NOS mode but I realised that I could output in DSD direct and the Gustard accepts this input and it sounds more dynamic and smooth.
But thats not the reason for the update, I have been using the PSVane CV181-T1-Mk2 valves for a while and have enjoyed them very much, an excellent clean tube that does very well in the Tor Balanced, thats till I bought a pair of LINLAI E-6SN7. This is a game changer. Biggest single upgrade to the sound I have ever heard. The TOR Balanced driving the Arya Organic has gone into sublime mode. I had to stop listening to the first album as it was soo good my eyes were aching due to constant tears. The increase in depth , 3d, midrange realism, sub bass, high frequencies. The move from standard tubes to the Psvane was subtile but better, this Linlai is not a subtle difference , with no burn it it was so musical. I tried the Ananda and they sounded great too but not a good as the Arya Organic, so its not a Arya only thing. These are the tubes this amp should have come with. This for me is a serious upgrade, you could say with the HQplayer input and the Arya organic output upgrades there was more to be had from the tor balanced and the new tubes have stepped up to let the front end get to the diaphragm's. This tube swap was a bigger upgrade than going from the Ananda to the Arya Organic. For £141 delivered to my door. Great bargain considering the Arya were £1200 , but yes the Arya are defiantly part of the equation here.
I see they have gone up in price as they were on sale at the time I bought them. Looks like £139 + VAT now but still a bargain, I will be buying a second pair soon as backups.

I have difficulties with A-B ing changes as they can be subtle /nuanced . Usually I have to do it backwards and listen to the new thing for a week or so and then go back to the original setup and I can then hear whats missing. Not this time, the sound stage change with the slight increase in depth making it less between the ears, the more believable voices with a slight 3d bubble round them, the bass with detail in it, string details, dynamics. But its more than all this, its so musical. I'm a guy, I don't gush , I'm sensible , logical , measured. I think this tube broke me.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/1005...ain.17.697b1802VK1CzF&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

Attachments

• Linlai.jpg
    Linlai.jpg
    934.5 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back