Topping VX1... anybody try it yet?
Aug 3, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #91 of 139
What those guys said you need to use the power brick. From what I read there is no reason to upgrade the power supply it puts out enough power for this amp. I had one that was 2amps more so I used it.

From what I found those Op Amps are $70us. An op amp is going to make close to zero difference. And from what I read if anything those op amps have a forward/bright sound which this amp already has.

The VX1 has not been a popular model and the DIY crowd would consider it vastly over priced so you are not going to see many people modding them.

An amp based on the TPA3116 chip will sound very good out of the box but it is just an amp, not a DAC. 

This is the one that the really smart amp people tell me has all the right bits already installed. Very musical sounding  Loudness wise it about equal with the VX1, but as it goes louder it stays cleaner than the VX1.

This is the model to get, as I said it already has all the electronic bits installed. But its nothing fancy, an on off switch and volume.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-original-SMSL-SA-36A-2-20W-High-grade-HIFI-Digital-Power-Amplifier-Class-T/1701910957.html - to get a line out for a sub. And I wanted something in a box.

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #93 of 139
This is the one I settled on but haven't ordered it yet: http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=84

There is one for $60us at the same website.

Sabre chip gets pretty good reviews from people. Most like it a lot.

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #96 of 139
Oh didn't notice you said amp along with DAC.

I thought you were interested in the VX1? It's got a headphone amp and a DAC

Yup intrtested in vx1. But while waiting for the speakers to drop price, might as well look around for other choices of dac/amp for passive speakers. So far, my choices arevthe topping tp30 MKII,vx1 and lepai 2020+...

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #97 of 139
What do you guys think, only considering the headphone amp, of the VX1 compared to the new FiiO E10K?

Aug 12, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #98 of 139
I didn't heared the FiiO, but consider that it is better compared to the VX1.
Simple conclusion: Same price, less features -> better parts
So if you don't need an amp for a pair of passive speakers i'd go for a Fiio E10, but also the VX1 is an nice amp.
Just one thing is a little annoying: at higher volume you can slightly hear noise.
With the JBL Control One this is less a problem, cause with the knob at 9 you reach a quiet loud volume that i turn the volume in windows down to 10-20.
But with some headphones you can turn the knob as far as it will go.
Edit: (Please dont missunderstood - sometimes i like it extremly loud and the VX1 has enough power to drive my DT770 with 250Ω, but most of the time half the turn is quite enough. It has more than enough power).

May another a good setup would be the SMSL SA36A or the TP30 MK II connected with the lineout of the FiiO E10K?
So you get a really good DAC, headphone Amp and speaker amp, that just costs a little bit more than the VX1.
The only reason I choiced it were the good marks in this thread for a price that was just slightly above my budget.

But that doesn't mean that the VX1 is crap, I see it as a really good all-in-one for a fair price.
It is also better than a Asus Xonar DGX and much better than most of the onboard-chips.

Sorry for my bad language, i doesn't write so much in english cause it isnt my native language.

Aug 12, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #99 of 139
this is good advice, thanks! will research e10k a little more, in fact I don't plan on buying speakers

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #100 of 139
Update:

Yesterday I've noticed that the disturbing-noise isn't just hearable when playing musik on higher volume. Also it is there when the pc is muted.
This is really annoying but not the worst.
It is also hearable with the headphones when the output is set to just the speakers.
I can't believe that this is good for them and hope that the DT770 have not taken any damage in the last two weeks.
Last but not least the device is advertised as a 24bit DAC but how is this possible with a 16bit sound chip?
The VX1 is detected as a 24bit DAC in Windows but this is just what the usb controller is capable to handle.
At the end it is just an 16bit DAC and I feel fooled as a customer.
Fortunately, I can send it back and get a refund.

Aug 14, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #101 of 139
I've replaced mine with SMSL amp.

It's not a bad unit and would make a good unit for neutral to warm speakers you want to brighten a bit. But in the end I'd call it a fairly neutral sounding amp.

Power figures are at best inflated. As I turned it up it started revealing that it was working hard. (keep in mind I have bright/forward/revealing speakers), and I was getting well into loud for nearfield.  It's certainly flexible and full featured, and looks nice and professional. But for me it didn't end up working out. In the end I'd call it 4 out of 5 stars.

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #102 of 139
Hi, I am new to this subject so please forgive the ignorant questions. Regarding the Topping VX1, I have a few doubts:

1. I plan to use the VX1 to connect a pair of 120w RMS speakers that are located in an EXTERNAL area. Will this amp be able to handle this pair of speakers?
2. I saw on the posts that it has an amplified headphone socket that gives out sound simultaneously with the normal speakers. Can I connect to this socket another pair of, let’s say, 60w RMS speaker to work in parallel to the EXTERNAL speakers? This way, I can play the same sound in the EXTERNAL and INTERNAL areas in together.
3. Can I connect to its USB socket an Iphone or Ipad (or Android based mobile device) to play sound from it? Or should I connect this kind of device to its RCA socket?
I appreciate any help anyone has to offer. 

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #103 of 139
  Hi, I am new to this subject so please forgive the ignorant questions. Regarding the Topping VX1, I have a few doubts:

1. I plan to use the VX1 to connect a pair of 120w RMS speakers that are located in an EXTERNAL area. Will this amp be able to handle this pair of speakers?
2. I saw on the posts that it has an amplified headphone socket that gives out sound simultaneously with the normal speakers. Can I connect to this socket another pair of, let’s say, 60w RMS speaker to work in parallel to the EXTERNAL speakers? This way, I can play the same sound in the EXTERNAL and INTERNAL areas in together.
3. Can I connect to its USB socket an Iphone or Ipad (or Android based mobile device) to play sound from it? Or should I connect this kind of device to its RCA socket?

It doesn't matter where the amp and speakers are located, as long as you have them connected.

No you cannot power additional speakers with the headphone output.

You need to connect a mobile device with a 3.5mm Stereo to RCA cable.

I think you should look into the Audiosource AMP-100, it can power two sets of speakers, and has multiple inputs.  The DAC in your mobile device is fine to use.

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #104 of 139

Actually I had a similar question also, I plan on powering a couple of Denon SC-F109's which are rated at 60W(IEC) / 120W(PEAK) with the VX1.

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/pages/product-detail.aspx?catid=systems&subid=minimicro&productid=scf109

Since the VX1 is listed as 25W X 2 will this have enough power for these speakers? Or will I risk damaging the speakers? Sorry if this is a completely silly question!

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #105 of 139
I had the tp30 before the vx1. The vx1 is a definite increase in power. The tp30 was loud enough but I was finding myself having to bump my volumes up in my software player and the windows master volume.

The VX1 seems to support a higher bit rate (24 bit as opposed 16 bit on the TP30). Does that mean the TP30 would not play high resolution flac?

Kind Regards, Stephen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back