Topping VX1... anybody try it yet?
Feb 1, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #137 of 139
@Markf I've used it (the USB connection) successfully with my older iOS devices (iPad 2 and iPhone 4s). I never got the USB plug for Lightning, so I haven't tried it recently, but in some cases it will happily parse audio over USB from non-PC sources.

I note that the same devices would not play over my fancy amp/DAC, throwing up some error to the effect of they didn't have enough power to drive it over USB, even though it was obviously a powered amp itself. So point for the Topping!

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #138 of 139
Post edited: please see below .

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #139 of 139
For the size/price I'm relatively impressed. Not enough ooomph to adequately drive the Polk Montor 70. No surprise there. Makes a nice desktop rig. I like the speaker / phones or both option. I'm using the phone jack to feed a powered sub. My biggest complaints are harshness in the treble and that it disables my mac's master volume control. I wouldn't say it's audiophile quality but it does sound pretty good. Especially the headphone amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi. I see that you have noticed the 'harshness of the treble' at times. I also thought that at times trebles could be a little harsh from the amp  listening on my Sennheiser Momentum 2s compared to my mobile set up. I am looking to buy my first open back headphones and have little experience in this field I  would appreciate some advice please. 

With my available budget in mind I am considering buying a brand new pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 250ohm or a pe-loved pair of Sennhieser HD600s. However, I have heard that the Beyer's treble can also be considered a bit sharp. Would pairing the Topping VX1 with the Beyers DT990 likely accentuate this problem. If so , would the HD600s be a more suitable pairing, or, can anyone else suggest a set of cans in this price range  that would suit better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back