Topping VX1... anybody try it yet?
Jul 17, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #76 of 139
I had the tp30 before the vx1. The vx1 is a definite increase in power. The tp30 was loud enough but I was finding myself having to bump my volumes up in my software player and the windows master volume. Now even with the volumes knocked back on the computer I've never gone past 12:00.

It seems the speakers sounds a bit better but if they actual do it's subtle. Maybe just the extra headroom.

I don't regret paying a bit more because now I have some extra power in case I want to get some less efficient speakers, larger speakers, etc.

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #77 of 139
Hi,

Note that the typical recommendation for optimizing SQ is to set PC/Mac Media Player (e.g., iTunes) volume control at max, and use the volume control in the amplifier to alternate the volume. Just did quick HF search & here's just 1 of the hits...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/380735/does-media-player-volume-control-affect-sq

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #78 of 139
I guess I come from a different background which is live sound and some recording. While there are different ways to set gain on the amplifier, and there are many stages in the gain chain (heehee) standard practice, but not written in stone the power amp is set to unity gain 0db input equals 0db output. OR the seat of the pants method is the amp just peaks into clipping for the loudest passages. And then you don't play with the amp. In the middle of the chain you are looking for levels that produce the best S/N ratio. Than at your source the instrument input (which for us is the computer that is our media player) you would adjust for the volume you want. Much like a sound engineer adjusts the fader on an instrument input, or on the sub group volume (think all vocals together, or alll drum mic's together).

But of course, in music playback it's typical to set the volume at the pre amp or amplifier stage. So what do I know.

So I like to run my media player around 75% and the master windows volume at 75% as long as the volume is staying between 25% and 75% at the amp.

Then I make small adjustments where ever is handiest at that moment. This makes me feel, for no good reason, that nowhere in the chain am I pushing the signal into clipping and that I'm staying above the noise floor.

So I decided to see what I could find out

I loaded up the VU and Peak meter in Foobar and it looks like it's fine with running the volume at WFO. I couldn't really make out the Oscilloscope in any detail, and I'm too lazy to find test signals, what I could see it didn't seem to be clipping and unfortunately the peak meter did not display clipping but/and the peak meter was at about the optimum of 0db in the absence of any metering, and I'm going to guess that the windows volume (really signal level) is calibrated to 0db as well. (well that was quite the sentence) 

I found this but I'm not motivated enough to try it: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20595-what-u-hear-recording-enable.html

In closing it looks like running in WFO is fine in the input (really output) stages. But I like my system since I can adjust volume whereever I'm closest to with my mouse.

Cheers

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #79 of 139
I'm having trouble getting Wasapi working with the VX1 with foobar.

I have tried setting foobar to 16/44 and realtek to 24/96 since that is what the VX1 supports

I have set both to 16/44 and both to 24/96 and I always get the error. I had it working last night for a few songs (but I forget what I had it set to) and then I played another song and and I got the playback error and since then I can't get it to work. I thought I head a  difference when I had wasapi working and since I have a friend coming over to listen I'd like to get it working.

Anyone have Wasapi working with Foobar. I'm using the USB output.

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #80 of 139
I'm running the VX1 out of a Macbook Pro's usb port (Fidelia) into a pair of NHT Super Zero speakers. Sounds great for what it is.

One thing, it seems that the DAC operates *only* at 96 kHz, up sampling everything to 96 kHz.

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #81 of 139
Im planning to get the Pioneer SP-BS22 passive speakers. I understand that i would need an AMP to run those bookshelf speakers. Based on reviews, a cheap yet good option would be the Topping VX1 or TP30 MKII. Which would be a better choice? Also, for the VX1, the output mode selector is a button? So, if i press on it, the LED light will either be on the AMP or headphone? Meaning i can alternatively switch between my speakers and my iem plugged in at the front?

Also, where to get the VX1? I know mp4nation do sell the TP30 MKII. The given power supply for the VX1 is 110-240V, but is there anythign else i need to take note, such as amps?

Thanks for helping me.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #82 of 139
I have one to sell . . .

And I have had both.

The Topping TP30 is one of the great deals going in an amp. It has a DAC, two inputs and a good amount of power . . . I have one of the better sound chips (chip, not sound card) and the DAC in the Topping sounds better.

The VX1 gets you more power and a headphone amp, rather than just a head phone out over the TP30.

Another nice feature of the VX1 is that it lets you listen to speaker and headphones at the same time. Me and at least one other person hear are using that feature to use the headphone jack to drive a subwoofer. I think it lets you listen to two sources at the same time as well, but I don't have it hooked up right now to tell.

I like the VX1 but came to find it's not a particularly musical amp for my REALLY bright speakers. But that means it could brighten up some speakers that could use a little brightening.

It has an auto off which is pretty neat.

Topping has reworked their model line a bit so you might want to check out their website before ordering anything.

Amazon carries most of the Topping line.

Pioneer doesn't give any useful specs, but I'd recommend the extra power of the VX1 for speakers that size. It's one of the reasons I got the VX1 over the TP30

Update: I was just reading about the Pioneers and from what I read the VX1 might be a good choice. People seem to find the Pioneer's laid back in the top end.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #83 of 139
  I have one to sell . . .

The Topping TP30 is one of the great deals going in an amp. It has a DAC, two inputs and a good amount of power . . .

The VX1 gets you more power and a headphone amp, rather than just a head phone out.

Another nice feature of the VX1 is that it lets you listen to speaker and headphones at the same time. Me and at least on other person hear are using that feature to use the headphone jack to drive a subwoofer. I think it lets you listen to two sources at the same time as well, but I don't have it hooked up right now to tell.

I like the VX1 but came to find it's not a particularly musical amp for my REALLY bright speakers. But that means it could brighten up some speakers that could use a little brightening.

It has an auto off which is pretty neat.

Topping has reworked their model line a bit so you might want to check out their website before ordering anything.

Amazon carries most of the Topping line.

Any particular reason you chose those speakers?

Based on reviews i supposed? I saw that they were quite good in the bass, which i want for movies n games. And the price is decent as well. Just that it is passive, and i would need an amp to run it. So, might as well find a decent dac/amp for it. And i camea cross the Topping TP30 Mark2 and VX1.

BTW, where to get the VX1 from a decent dealer?

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #84 of 139
I got mine from Amazon

I updated my post, that I thought the VX1 might be a good choice for the Pioneers. And that I'd consider the extra power available in the VX1 over the TP30.

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #85 of 139
Not sure if this is trustable or not...

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/TOPPING-VX1-2-25W-Class-T-AMP-Stereo-Hi-Fi-Power-Amplifier-USB-DAC-24Bit-96KHz-/190934299453?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item2c7492333d&_uhb=1

But given that he has sold the most out of everyone, it might give me some thoughts.

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #86 of 139
  Not sure if this is trustable or not...

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/TOPPING-VX1-2-25W-Class-T-AMP-Stereo-Hi-Fi-Power-Amplifier-USB-DAC-24Bit-96KHz-/190934299453?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item2c7492333d&_uhb=1

But given that he has sold the most out of everyone, it might give me some thoughts.

The seller has a very good seller rating. I wouldn't worry about it if he has sold the most of them.

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #87 of 139
  The seller has a very good seller rating. I wouldn't worry about it if he has sold the most of them.

Thanks for the assurance... Wanna confirm 2 things.

1. For the power supply given, i presume it does not come with cord, just the brick only?

2. Would it be better to plug in the power supply along with the USB or just depend entirely on the USB to draw power?

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #88 of 139
Thanks for the assurance... Wanna confirm 2 things.

1. For the power supply given, i presume it does not come with cord, just the brick only?

2. Would it be better to plug in the power supply along with the USB or just depend entirely on the USB to draw power?

it does include the cord
you have to use the power supply

Users who are viewing this thread

Back