Topping VX1... anybody try it yet?
Apr 15, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #61 of 139
My VX-1 arrived and sounds AWESOME using a USB in from my macbook pro and driving Polk Monitor 30 speakers for my office. Question: I cannot seem to figure out the "auto on" feature that the poorly worded manual alludes to with USB.  I've tried various uses of the on/off button and cannot get the amp to do the "breathing" (which I think means pulsing on/off).  Rather, all that happens is the USB light blinks.

A small detail, though.  All in all, a very nice product and very happy with it!

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #62 of 139
While I haven't tried very hard and my computer is almost always on or sleeping, and/or my sub woofer is on which does not have a auto power off feature, I haven't got mine to breath either.

I'm running my VX1 with Fostex FF85WK's full range speakers in a uFonken cabinet and I'm very happy with it. This is a really revealing setup so any major deficiency would be obvious. I say major because I make no claims to having golden ears able to hear the difference between cables, etc

I don't find myself sitting here wishing it was warmer or brighter. I rarely get it up to 50% volumes sitting here at my desk with the music software and windows volume each about 3/4 volume.

So i'm pretty happy with it and I like knowing that I have room to go to less efficient 2-way speakers. I wish it had a line out on the back. But I may see if I can plumb in a 1/8" jack somewhere and just run the wires from the front 1/4" jack to the 1/8". 

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #63 of 139
  While I haven't tried very hard and my computer is almost always on or sleeping, and/or my sub woofer is on which does not have a auto power off feature, I haven't got mine to breath either.

I'm running my VX1 with Fostex FF85WK's full range speakers in a uFonken cabinet and I'm very happy with it. This is a really revealing setup so any major deficiency would be obvious. I say major because I make no claims to having golden ears able to hear the difference between cables, etc

I don't find myself sitting here wishing it was warmer or brighter. I rarely get it up to 50% volumes sitting here at my desk with the music software and windows volume each about 3/4 volume.

So i'm pretty happy with it and I like knowing that I have room to go to less efficient 2-way speakers. I wish it had a line out on the back. But I may see if I can plumb in a 1/8" jack somewhere and just run the wires from the front 1/4" jack to the 1/8". 

Thanks for your comment.  I'm using it in my office and barely am getting louder than 8:00 on the dial.  Sounds lovely.  Glad to know I'm not an idiot re the "breathing" :)

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #64 of 139
I just got the Topping VX1 along with Dayton B652 in my first foray into above-the-minimum audio. I'm very disappointing, sorry to say. I'm a total newbie to hi-fi so I don't know how to describe the sound other than it sounds like the speakers are sitting in a  cardboard box, or like the music is playing on AM radio. The treble just sounds kind of muffled or muddy. That's the case whether I am comparing the Daytons to my 7 year old $50 Philips subwoofer set, or comparing the subwoofer set connected to the VX1 vs. connected directly to my computer, or comparing a set of earbuds and a set of cans plugged into the VX1 vs plugged into the computer. Like I said I'm a total newbie so maybe I'm doing something wrong or missing something (if so, help!), but I think I'm going to try to return the VX1 and get a Lepai LP-2020A+ (saving $100) or maybe gamble on a different DAC.

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #65 of 139
  I just got the Topping VX1 along with Dayton B652 in my first foray into above-the-minimum audio. I'm very disappointing, sorry to say. I'm a total newbie to hi-fi so I don't know how to describe the sound other than it sounds like the speakers are sitting in a  cardboard box, or like the music is playing on AM radio. The treble just sounds kind of muffled or muddy. That's the case whether I am comparing the Daytons to my 7 year old $50 Philips subwoofer set, or comparing the subwoofer set connected to the VX1 vs. connected directly to my computer, or comparing a set of earbuds and a set of cans plugged into the VX1 vs plugged into the computer. Like I said I'm a total newbie so maybe I'm doing something wrong or missing something (if so, help!), but I think I'm going to try to return the VX1 and get a Lepai LP-2020A+ (saving $100) or maybe gamble on a different DAC.

What are you using for the input? USB? Line in? what is the input source.  Maybe yours is defective. Mine does not sound like how you describe, at all.

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #66 of 139
I'm using the USB connected to a new HP Pavilion tower. I think I have an RCA splitter somewhere and I'll try that later, but I mainly got the VX1 for the DAC, having read all the articles about what a huge difference a DAC makes compared to on board sound cards. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #67 of 139
  I'm using the USB connected to a new HP Pavilion tower. I think I have an RCA splitter somewhere and I'll try that later, but I mainly got the VX1 for the DAC, having read all the articles about what a huge difference a DAC makes compared to on board sound cards. 

I'm using a macbook pro via usb into the VX1 and it sounds incredible. You must have a bad unit. The DAC sounds really good for my rig.

May 10, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #70 of 139
Sorry if this is a really basic question, but why would you want USB OTG for a DAC/amp? Would this allow you to run audio from the USB on an Android phone instead the headphone jack?

Jul 1, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #72 of 139
I bought this amp for a boombox project.
However I missed that it uses 14v and not 12v. I was planning on driving it with a 12v gel battery from a car or motorcycle.

Do you think it will run okay on a 12v battery?

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #73 of 139
I bought this amp for a boombox project.
However I missed that it uses 14v and not 12v. I was planning on driving it with a 12v gel battery from a car or motorcycle.

Do you think it will run okay on a 12v battery?

Should run ok, most car batteries sitting idle after fresh charge will have 13.2 volts. When on the charger they will have as much as 14.7 volts or even a little more when fully topped off but still on the charger. These voltages should be in the acceptable range.

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #74 of 139
For the windows computer users: Is the VX1 showing up in the realtek sound manager app. When I had the Topping TP30 it showed up in the Sound Manager App as a topping TP30

Users who are viewing this thread

Back