Topping NX4
Jan 8, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #424 of 448
I need a portable device with normal 3.5mm output - I'm sick of spending money on balanced cables - powerful enough for over ear headphones too. The Mojo costs a lot and is quite ugly to look at, can Topping NX4 DSD be a good alternative?

I read that it had channel imbalance issues, does this always happen or has the problem been fixed?

I have a FiiO BTR5 that I use in USB DAC and balanced output mode, can anyone make a comparison between the two?

Jan 11, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #425 of 448
I have both BTR5 , and Mojo - 2 x 3.5mm out - ,
No doubts that mojo while ugly for some *not for me , sounds better in nearly all departments ( cit. "power" and volume levels for any headphones is just one of those departments )

Given you are tired of balanced operations for some reasons> if your quest is for better sound quality while portable , I doubt you will end your journey on the Topping .
Just a guess .

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #427 of 448
got the nx4 monday. finally got some serious listening in the last 2 days.

don't have much to say except it's awesome. I just got the qudelix 5k recently and it has grown on me, but the ESS in my LGV20 and NX4 are much smoother. the NX4 pulls out the most detail. plenty of power. was quite surprised at how well iems, my COPs and 770/250o all play quite well.

now I'm off to find some new headphones and/or iems for my new toy. I had high expectations for the NX4 and they were surpassed. wish it was usb type c though. about my only serious gripe. with the knob was actually a little longer now that note 9 gets portable duty, rather than the worn out type c LGV20.

Apr 22, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #428 of 448
got the nx4 monday. finally got some serious listening in the last 2 days.

don't have much to say except it's awesome. I just got the qudelix 5k recently and it has grown on me, but the ESS in my LGV20 and NX4 are much smoother. the NX4 pulls out the most detail. plenty of power. was quite surprised at how well iems, my COPs and 770/250o all play quite well.

now I'm off to find some new headphones and/or iems for my new toy. I had high expectations for the NX4 and they were surpassed. wish it was usb type c though. about my only serious gripe. with the knob was actually a little longer now that note 9 gets portable duty, rather than the worn out type c LGV20.
And I am not surprised you find it that way. I assume you got the NX4DSD version yes? which comes with ES9038Q2 DAC inside. I don't have NX4DSD myself YET, but I already have experience with ES9038Q2 DAC from my Cayin DAP, it's just blisteringly blissful clean sounding. And I am keen to get the NX4DSD to team up with my Android phone

Apr 23, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #429 of 448
And I am not surprised you find it that way. I assume you got the NX4DSD version yes? which comes with ES9038Q2 DAC inside. I don't have NX4DSD myself YET, but I already have experience with ES9038Q2 DAC from my Cayin DAP, it's just blisteringly blissful clean sounding. And I am keen to get the NX4DSD to team up with my Android phone

yes. dsd version. I thought I was going to retire my V20 or sell it. I just hooked it up line out to line in to use as headphone amp and see if there would be a noticeable degradation. nope. clean. high gain the hiss is worse with iems though but almost expected.

I also leave the bass boost on. gives my kz zsx the bass boost they always needed. the bass boost is addicting and realized after a few hours that I should just leave it on and click it off when I feel the bass gets too heavy for whatever I am using.

Apr 24, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #431 of 448
my preciousssssssss. :L3000: on the hunt for some closed cans and IEMs to pair with this. anybody have fostex t60rp's can comment on if the bass is lacking or not? $300 is kind of outta my price range but I don't know if it's the african mahogany or wanting to try something non beyerdynamic. sennheiser has too many open backs and I believe the t60's are semi open.

Apr 24, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #432 of 448
my preciousssssssss. :L3000: on the hunt for some closed cans and IEMs to pair with this. anybody have fostex t60rp's can comment on if the bass is lacking or not? $300 is kind of outta my price range but I don't know if it's the african mahogany or wanting to try something non beyerdynamic. sennheiser has too many open backs and I believe the t60's are semi open.
For very reasonable price, I recommend this closed back Monolith m565c Planar Magnetic. On a condition that you dont mind a solidly built 440gm headphone on your head and also your ear lobes are not gigantic in size. They really sing with Topping's transparent timbre (NX1s, D10s & M50s).
20210331_130219_HDR.jpg

Apr 24, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #433 of 448
For very reasonable price, I recommend this closed back Monolith m565c Planar Magnetic. On a condition that you dont mind a solidly built 440gm headphone on your head and also your ear lobes are not gigantic in size. They really sing with Topping's transparent timbre (NX1s, D10s & M50s).
20210331_130219_HDR.jpg
what say you about the connectors? lots of negativ reviews saying loose/staticy/defective and as you mentioned the heft. lots saying they sound damn good though.

Apr 24, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #434 of 448
what say you about the connectors? lots of negativ reviews saying loose/staticy/defective and as you mentioned the heft. lots saying they sound damn good though.
No issues on my connectors and I have used my m565C quite a lot. And those people saying it's damned good, they are not lying. Totally underrated headphone

May 13, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #435 of 448
I just bought a LG G8X dual screen. I like it so much I just bought another one. need to sell some old phones now and minimize everything and I will have minimal micro usb devices that I use often. if I give away or sell my unwanted I will have 3 or 4 devices that are modern and ain't going anywhere.

the ESS 422H just went on sale at drop. tempted for $125 but too many QC problems and even though probably nicest looking attainable wood cups for my budget, only 32 ohms. 32 ohms isn't a big issue but honestly looking at something triple digit resistance. I want to get another IEM but still undecided. Much easier for me to spend money on cans rather than IEMs as IEMs are fragile, and for some easy to lose.

my other first world problems? waiting for the other G8X to get here so I can unlock bootloader and root each one. also, deciding whether I should settle for a topping NX1 for hahas right now or just go straight to a second NX4. the G8X has clean line out output so I've been using the amp and DAC depending on my charging needs since using the DAC brings battery life down and it gets warm. having 2 NX4s I can use the DAC more often. the 9038 has lots more detail retrieval but the 9218 is no slouch but still lacks in power department. and last but not least is all the auxiliary money being spent unexpectedly. liquid screen protection. probably 2 or 3 cables. might have to buy more velcro. haven't figured out my portable setup yet. and I can hold off on buying some new cans/IEMs but the itch is there now. the nerd in me couldn't pass on getting the nerd dual screen accessory for a total of $440. I really wanted the V60 but no unlocked, EU unlocked is way out of my budget and the rest are carrier branded. as of now, no bl unlock or root for V60 and finding out bl unlock and root on G8X was enough to push me to buy one. now I just spent another $440+ ~$50 for accessories. probably going to sell the V20 with 2 fresh OEM batteries still to try and recoup the cost of at least one. sigh. wannabe audiophile and certified nerd is expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back