Topping NX4
May 13, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #406 of 448
I am not convinced the Chord Mojo is better. It's measured performance is just ok, certainly no better than the NX4. Maybe you think it is better because it is more expensive and hyped?

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. I had the NX4 DSD for a while and it was quite a nice sounding unit, but I much prefer the physical tactility of the Mojo. I didn't really do much testing when I had both to hand, though, which I regret.

Personally I think part of it is the whole being designed/made in England shtick Chord have going on - most people kinda look at British engineering and go "oh wow that must be good", in my experience

May 24, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #411 of 448
@sinquito, is the plastic wrapper in the battery able to be removed? If so, maybe there's a product number on the battery. It looks like it's just clipped in with those black and red wires, which leads me to believe that it's relatively easy to replace if you know the model.

Also, to the thread at large: how long have people been using their NX4 DSDs? I'm kinda interested in getting one, but one of the recurring complaints on Amazon is that they seem to crap out after a few months. Anybody had this problem it can anybody allay my fears about this?
A little late on the reply, but I have an NX4 non DSD version that’s been serving me well for almost 3 years. It gets used most when I travel for work and on the weekends in the summer when I’m listening on the porch.
261266EF-4A9E-46BB-B0B9-C600A153601F.jpeg

May 24, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #412 of 448
A little late on the reply, but I have an NX4 non DSD version that’s been serving me well for almost 3 years. It gets used most when I travel for work and on the weekends in the summer when I’m listening on the porch. 261266EF-4A9E-46BB-B0B9-C600A153601F.jpeg
Haha. Yeah, a little late! But thanks for the reply. I (eventually) decided I didn't want anything that has to be physically connected to my phone, so I went with the FiiO BTR5. Glad to know your NX4 has lasted so long. I have seen numerous people complaining about the longevity of the DSD version, though.

May 24, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #413 of 448
Haha. Yeah, a little late! But thanks for the reply. I (eventually) decided I didn't want anything that has to be physically connected to my phone, so I went with the FiiO BTR5. Glad to know your NX4 has lasted so long. I have seen numerous people complaining about the longevity of the DSD version, though.

Just for the record, I have the DSD-marked version and it has been working great for 1 year +.

Jun 7, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #414 of 448
I use my NX4 with my IPad, but works with my Iphone as well. The sound is definitely better with NX4.
95CCC349-1B64-48A2-895B-D5CFEF437141.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #415 of 448
NX4DSD user for almost 2 years...
no issued with iOS (must buy certain cable), or Android...
DSD512 works like a charm..

Well for the price, is definitely worthy...
but sound signature will be different story, you need to try it first... IMO

Aug 24, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #417 of 448
Bit of an old thread but seems the best place to post this story/question.

I have an old iMod - 5th gen - that continues to work very well hooked up with an equally as old Headstage amp. I had the idea to see what I could come up with using current kit. After some perusing, I decided on getting a semi-cheap smartphone to use as a digital transport that feeds - you guessed it - an NX4 DSD. Yes - as you also guessed - I'm using UAPP on the smartphone. So everything worked out great and really love what I'm hearing. The one thing I can't seem to lick is the battery drain. After all of my searching it would seem that this is an Android issue (my phone is on 9, btw). When it is plugged into the NX4, even with the dac/amp off, it is sending power it's way. After killing every service I could and uninstalling/disabling every app I could, I've got it down to 1% an hour but it is bugging me that I know while sitting idle, the smartphone is draining its battery at an accelerated rate. Wondering if anyone has found a silver bullet to fix this or am I at the behest of Google to possibly, one-day, as pigs fly past my window, fix this.

I'm even willing to root the phone - it's a Motorola Moto G (6th gen) - and install a custom version of Android if that's what it takes. The ONLY thing I got it for was this portable music listening set up.

Anyone?

Aug 24, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #418 of 448
Bit of an old thread but seems the best place to post this story/question.

I have an old iMod - 5th gen - that continues to work very well hooked up with an equally as old Headstage amp. I had the idea to see what I could come up with using current kit. After some perusing, I decided on getting a semi-cheap smartphone to use as a digital transport that feeds - you guessed it - an NX4 DSD. Yes - as you also guessed - I'm using UAPP on the smartphone. So everything worked out great and really love what I'm hearing. The one thing I can't seem to lick is the battery drain. After all of my searching it would seem that this is an Android issue (my phone is on 9, btw). When it is plugged into the NX4, even with the dac/amp off, it is sending power it's way. After killing every service I could and uninstalling/disabling every app I could, I've got it down to 1% an hour but it is bugging me that I know while sitting idle, the smartphone is draining its battery at an accelerated rate. Wondering if anyone has found a silver bullet to fix this or am I at the behest of Google to possibly, one-day, as pigs fly past my window, fix this.

I'm even willing to root the phone - it's a Motorola Moto G (6th gen) - and install a custom version of Android if that's what it takes. The ONLY thing I got it for was this portable music listening set up.

Anyone?

You may be way past this point but I'll post it anyway...

First thing that comes to mind is the type of micro-USB to micro-USB cable you're using. Is it one that's like an OTG cable like this?

https://www.amazon.ca/FiiO-ML06-Micro-USB-Cable/dp/B07FBZ963D#customerReviews

These won't charge a device like a regular USB cable. I've got one of these and it doesn't try to charge any connected DAC or DAC/Amp when using my FiiO X5III DAP.

I think if you use a regular micro to micro, even with the NX4 turned off your smartphone will try to charge it.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #419 of 448
Yup. I ordered that same FiiO cable though mine is C to Micro. That was part of my decision to go with the NX4 is it has separate charging and data ports. I figured that combined with the FiiO cable which even states that the phone says it is charging it isn't. It may not be able to physically charge the NX4 due to the internal wiring of the cable but the phone is in a charging state which is draining the battery.

I'm wondering if there is something about USB C. I'm willing to replace the smartphone with a USB micro rather than C is that's the answer. Hmm

Aug 24, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #420 of 448
I'm wondering if I should get something like a FiiO M6 paired with my NX4. I see people tend to use either Musicolet or Pulsar. Can I use UAPP? I'm not willing to fork over north of $150 for the DAP portion which is why the M6 looks pretty tempting. As long as it can do everything that my current setup does without the battery drain when the NX4 is off/not being used. The M6 is even a USB C so I can use the same cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back