Topping NX4
Jun 5, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #271 of 448
Android_DAC.jpg Android_DAC.jpg DAC_FiiO.jpg LineOut_FiiO.jpg LineOut_X5.jpg

Attachments

• DAC.jpg
    DAC.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 0
Jun 6, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #272 of 448
Man, it sucks that at low volume this amp has channel imbalance with sensitive IEMs (if you want to have bit-perfect playback). I think I'll have to get something else that has digital volume control.

Jun 10, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #273 of 448
Man, it sucks that at low volume this amp has channel imbalance with sensitive IEMs (if you want to have bit-perfect playback). I think I'll have to get something else that has digital volume control.
Do you mean easy to drive IEMs? If there is channel imbalance can't you just turn the volume up and how is it related to bit-perfect playback? You can get an attenuator like iFi iEMatch that seems to solve the channel imbalance issue at low volume and eliminates hissing for sensitive IEMs.

Jun 10, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #274 of 448
Do you mean easy to drive IEMs? If there is channel imbalance can't you just turn the volume up and how is it related to bit-perfect playback? You can get an attenuator like iFi iEMatch that seems to solve the channel imbalance issue at low volume and eliminates hissing for sensitive IEMs.
I have sensitive IEMs so turning up the volume isn't really an option or it gets too loud :) And I read that using attenuators like the iFi IEMatch aren't ideal as they put a lot of load on the amp which can cause distortion. I've ended up going for a Fiio Q5 (used at a good price), which has a digital volume control, ensuring perfect channel balance at any output level.

And bit-perfect playback is when the digital signal gets sent to the external DAC/amp unaltered. If you lower the volume in the playback app (such as UAPP), the digital signal gets altered and it's no longer bit-perfect. Probably just nit picking, but I prefer to control volume only on the amp.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #275 of 448
Hi,

Was using the NX4 dsd on my iPhone, with a lightning camera adapter.
It was working almost okay.

Recently, It started to stop playing more often.
Finally, got no connection at all.
I suspect the adapter to be the root of the problem.

I bored to use these huge “lightning to USB. camera adaptors”

Doesn’t a tiny lightning to micro-usb exist???
One direct cable from the lightning port to the NX4’s input, with all the needed electric embedded in order to make it works like a big USB camera adapter???
https://www.google.co.jp/imgres?img...2ahUKEwit4NmA6_viAhWEA6YKHc2-DYwQMygIegQIARBH

In one word, what is the best, tiny, portable, practical way to connect the NX4 to an iPhone?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #279 of 448
I was going to wait and buy a Fiio Q5s, but since it's getting delayed until September or who knows. I am going to get a NX4 DSD from Amazon if I don't like it I can return it. Wish me best of lucks :beyersmile:
Because of this connection issue with my IPhone, I bought a fiio Q1 mark II.
The Q1 II sounds pretty good, but I preferred the sound texture of the NX4 dsd, despite the lack of balanced output.

Both arenot bad.
I don’t know about the Q5s what are the specifications and what would be the plus-values, but if you get a NX4 dsd now, you risk to keep it... and to a buy Q5s later as well....

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #281 of 448
Recently purchased a used nx4.
The amplifier line in line out worked fine for my OnePlus 5t android.
However, when plugging the phone into the DAC micro usb port, the blue light wouldn't come on, nor would the phone attempt to play music through it or recognize that something had been plugged in.
I tested the cable (usbc to micro usb) and found that the cable to be functional.
What's strange was the nx4's dac port worked when connecting it to my PC and my phone port works as I use it daily to charge. So I'm pretty clueless as to what could've been broken.

I ended up returning it the next day, but now I'm tempted to buy a new one as there aren't many options in this price range with it's performance.

*EDIT: NVM I repurchased the topping nx4 new and through trial and error figured out that you need 'OTG storage' setting turned on to access the dac via android. Leaving this up for others who might encounter the same issue

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #282 of 448
It’s currently on sale now for $135 on Drop (formally known as Massdrop)

Edit UPDATE Aug. 11:

The sale is now over but if you go on the website and request it, it will probably go on sale sometime in the future and they will notify you by email

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #283 of 448
I bought this dac/amp two weeks ago or so, I have been very pleased with it. The build quality is great, very sturdy, there is a very small channel imbalance due to the pot, but even with IEMs the volume is too low to really bother me. Those amp has power, 12 o'clock on low gain is loud enough for me on the HD600 and HE400i. I don't need more power, but is there, actually I think that for the HD600 high gain and the pot at 11 position is the best. If this thing had bluetooth and optical, it would be perfect. I will end up buying a longer and more flexible micro usb to type c cable, so any recommendations are appreciated. I also bought the Fiio Q5s, and at twice the price is not worth it. The fiio is nicer overall, a bit bigger, modular, feels more premium and the volume control is digital, has bluetooth and coax/optical inputs, but the amp section is pretty weak. If I were to keep one I think it would be the NX4 DSD. Maybe the Fiio sounds louder with the balanced outputs, but I need buy new cables that would only work with this unit as I don not have any other balanced amp/dap nor I plan to get more.

Aug 19, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #284 of 448
The bass boost is very nice, when no bass is playing you could not notice any change in the other frequencies, once any instrument with bass plays you can hear the difference. For light bass headphones/earphones like my HD600 or Ety ER4SR this is a really nice feature. I opened the NX4 out of curiosity and the board is really nice constructed, the layout is very clean and the components seems of high quality, no serial or part numbers scratched/hidden/erased like other chi-fi electronics. I used to work in a Harman Manufacturing plant (automotive division) and the PCBA in the NX4 is not far behind the Radio/Amplifier boards that we made for Ford/Toyota/Subaru/Harley Davidson and even Audi. I was very pleased to see that the ground contacts on the chassis are specially marked without any anodised on my black unit, unlike the Xduoo XD-05, which is notorious for the ground connection issues.

NX4 top.jpeg
NX4 bottom.jpeg

It seems that the battery is really easy to replace, only issue would be maybe find a battery with the same shape, as the space with the chassis is very tight.

One word of advice, if you plan to open your NX4 like I did, try to do it only if necesary, as the screws that hold the unit (two long screws) held the front and back panel and alignment of the two with the chassis is very hard, so you may end up with a slight misalignment of the panels.

Aug 22, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #285 of 448
Great photo!

I’m curious of how long the battery will last before it needs to be replaced. If it last maybe 4 years with moderate use, personally I would be satisfied

Users who are viewing this thread

Back