Topping NX4
Mar 14, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #91 of 448
Maybe high res music and better listening gear would reveal its capability more . No DAC will make a crappy 128mp3 recording sound like a live orchestra .
I haven't found the setup yet that sounds like a live orchestra. Still working on that! :)

I have a NX4DSD on its way in the next couple days. Gratified to hear that battery mode performs well. I'll let you know what I think about its qualities with acoustic music once I get a chance to listen. If it's got power enough for a basshead, that bodes well!

Mar 21, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #92 of 448
Well, I received my NX4DSD about a week ago. I've had some opportunity to try it out with a few different headphones. Here are my thoughts on it.

The device itself is surprisingly small -- similar to a thin pack of cards. Volume control is a little bit difficult to manage because it is partially inset, but has a solid feel to it (Alps!). Comes with OTG USB cables, etc -- good options for plugging in. I haven't tried DSD yet -- only 24bit/96khz and 16bit/44.1khz FLAC files, which it handled marvelously from my Android phone. Drives Senn HD650 and AKG K7XX with ease.

It's a very clear, neutral sound. Bass is solid and well defined. Not quite the depth or impact that I have on my desktop unit, but very respectable and great quality and detail in the low end.

I really love warm midrange -- but that is not the NX4DSD's strong suit. Nonetheless, it is still pleasurable to listen to, especially with HD650 which brings its own warmth. Mids are not as forward as my desktop amp, but the NX4DSD has nice balanced presentation. Handles complex orchestral music very well, with not as much depth on soundstage as my desktop unit, but separation of instruments is very good.

Highs are very nice. Cymbal hits in jazz music sound shimmery, like they should. Nothing unnatural sounding. I can hear the hall in classical pieces. Great attack on the high end -- percussion really stands out.

Took a little getting used to, since it is brighter than other amps I own, but I think the NX4DSD is definitely a keeper! Great value for the money.

Mar 22, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #93 of 448
Well, I received my NX4DSD about a week ago. I've had some opportunity to try it out with a few different headphones. Here are my thoughts on it.

The device itself is surprisingly small -- similar to a thin pack of cards. Volume control is a little bit difficult to manage because it is partially inset, but has a solid feel to it (Alps!). Comes with OTG USB cables, etc -- good options for plugging in. I haven't tried DSD yet -- only 24bit/96khz and 16bit/44.1khz FLAC files, which it handled marvelously from my Android phone. Drives Senn HD650 and AKG K7XX with ease.

It's a very clear, neutral sound. Bass is solid and well defined. Not quite the depth or impact that I have on my desktop unit, but very respectable and great quality and detail in the low end.

I really love warm midrange -- but that is not the NX4DSD's strong suit. Nonetheless, it is still pleasurable to listen to, especially with HD650 which brings its own warmth. Mids are not as forward as my desktop amp, but the NX4DSD has nice balanced presentation. Handles complex orchestral music very well, with not as much depth on soundstage as my desktop unit, but separation of instruments is very good.

Highs are very nice. Cymbal hits in jazz music sound shimmery, like they should. Nothing unnatural sounding. I can hear the hall in classical pieces. Great attack on the high end -- percussion really stands out.

Took a little getting used to, since it is brighter than other amps I own, but I think the NX4DSD is definitely a keeper! Great value for the money.
Thanks for your thoughts on this, good to know it pairs well with AKG K7XX since I will be pairing it with a K712. I am waiting for my NX4DSD I ordered on Massdrop. Regarding bass depth and impact: is that with the bass switch turned on?

Mar 22, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #94 of 448
Thanks for your thoughts on this, good to know it pairs well with AKG K7XX since I will be pairing it with a K712. I am waiting for my NX4DSD I ordered on Massdrop. Regarding bass depth and impact: is that with the bass switch turned on?
Great question. I did no listening with bass boost turned on. So there is more bass there -- I wasn't looking for it. Also, I opted for high gain with both headphones, but low gain is pretty listenable.

Mar 24, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #96 of 448
Apr 8, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #98 of 448
It's a veryclear, neutral sound. Bass is solid and well defined. Not quite the depth or impact that I have on my desktop unit, but very respectable and great quality and detail in the low end.

Does your desktop unit has the same very low output impedance as the NX4dsd?
If not, then it could be that the desktop unit pronounces the lows somewhat while the NX4dsd bass is correct/neutral.

I just received the NX4dsd and in comparison with my "desktop" unit (Denon integrated stereo amp) the NX4 has indeed less impact, but the more i listen to it i think that this is due to pronounced lows caused by the much higher output impedance of the Denon.
(my headphone is Senn HD600 by the way).

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #99 of 448
Apr 8, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #102 of 448
Does your desktop unit has the same very low output impedance as the NX4dsd?
If not, then it could be that the desktop unit pronounces the lows somewhat while the NX4dsd bass is correct/neutral.
They are not the same output impedence, and that might account for it (Nuforce HA-200 at 5 ohms). Also the desktop amp has a much more substantial power supply, which could also be it.

Apr 8, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #103 of 448
They are not the same output impedence, and that might account for it (Nuforce HA-200 at 5 ohms). Also the desktop amp has a much more substantial power supply, which could also be it.

If you have a decibel meter (or smartphone app) you can find out who has the more neutral bass. On Youtube you can find frequency soundsamples (100hz 250hz 500hz etcetera). Measure two of these samples (mid 500hz and low 100hz) on your headphone and you know which amp rolls off or pronounces the low frequency's.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #104 of 448
How is Topping NX4DSD sounds compared to SMSL IQ?
Because Im planning to get NX4DSD but what stops me purchasing instantly is the SMSL IQ; they are seems similar....

Apr 13, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #105 of 448
Just got the NX4 DSD from Aliexpress since it was the cheapest ES9038 DAC I could find at $135. I'm currently trying to use it as a desktop DAC by connecting the line out to my speaker amp. It seems to be able to output both through the headphone out and line out at the same time which is nice but it gets a bit warm so I set the headphone amp to the lowest volume. I plan on leaving it connected(both DAC and charging USB ports) to my desktop 24/7. Does anyone know if the NX4 DSD has a sleep mode that kicks in when no source is playing or when my computer is off? I'm used to my speaker amp automatically going to sleep after 5 min of no activity so I never turn it off. The NX4 has a battery so I think it stays on even when the computer is off and draining the battery.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back