TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #1,426 of 2,185
I'm moderately disappointed with how this amp drives my Havi B3 Pros. Don't get me wrong, the sound is great, but just not as loud as I'd prefer. Its either the B3 needs a really beefy amp, i'm doing something wrong, or its just not that powerful. Maybe I'm going deaf, or expecting too much. (was running off of iPhone 5 previously)

Really? I had the exact opposite problem with my havi. Phone on 75% or sansa clip at 0db I could barely get past the channel imbalance before it got too loud. Maybe 25% on the volume knob, low gain. Of course I prefer my music quiet, but I do have hearing damage. I'm inclined to think something might be defective

Feb 1, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #1,427 of 2,185
It drives my K7XX fabulously
Absolutely no issues at all.

I agree with this in my experience with the q701's although when I get to higher volumes it feels like it becomes a little unrefined/harsh in comparison to my eph o2.

Using the nx1 with my Sony a15 with a bit of the ol clearbass is pretty satisfying...

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #1,429 of 2,185
Does NX1's interconnect really bad? Should I buy custom interconnect for my NX1? How much different if I change my interconnect? Thanks..

SQ wise you won't notice any change at all (maybe a very  little one) because it's just a small length interconnect.
BQ wise yes, IMO NX1 interconnect is no good. It might go wrong in nearby future. Better to buy a nice quality interconnect. It'll look better as well. 

Bought mine from here... check out. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/3-5mm-Audio-Cable/526194_251397166.html

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #1,431 of 2,185
I have had the NX1 for about a month now paired with an iPod 5.5g. I really like this combo, nice LO with pure amplification! The battery is amazing. I unknowingly left it on in my backpack for almost 10 hrs and it wasn't fazed one bit...kept going for my long commute home. Great little piece!

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #1,432 of 2,185
I have had the NX1 for about a month now paired with an iPod 5.5g. I really like this combo, nice LO with pure amplification! The battery is amazing. I unknowingly left it on in my backpack for almost 10 hrs and it wasn't fazed one bit...kept going for my long commute home. Great little piece!

I never even turn it off lol... I always forget to. But still it welcomes me every time with its shining blue LED.
I charge once a week, never saw it fully depleted still.

does Nx1 goes well or synergy with fiio x1
I'm considering to buy one to pair it with my fiio x1
oh yeah, I'm using sony Mh1 iem
thx

idk what do you mean by synergy... but NX1 is a neutral amp. So be assured that X1's sound sig won't change. Fiio amps tend to alter the sound signature but here it's just pure amplification.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #1,435 of 2,185
I'm moderately disappointed with how this amp drives my Havi B3 Pros. Don't get me wrong, the sound is great, but just not as loud as I'd prefer. Its either the B3 needs a really beefy amp, i'm doing something wrong, or its just not that powerful. Maybe I'm going deaf, or expecting too much. (was running off of iPhone 5 previously)

Something is wrong, the NX1 should have no problem driving the B3's. You've got it on high gain right?

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #1,436 of 2,185
Does anyone have experience comparing the topping nx1 to the fiio e17, fiio e18, jds labs c5 or ibasso d zero? I'm considering an upgrade but not sure how much improvement I'll see

I've got the NX1 and the e18. The e18 is a much more acomplished amp imo but costs about 4x the price. The NX1 is a much more neutral amp imo which delivers decent seperation and clarity across the spectrum. It also has stellar battery life and a really small form factor. The e18 is much larger and heavier and the position of the usb port on the bottom as well as a stright usb otg cable makes it less portable out of the box. However, it has a really nice, warm, powerful sound with decent soundstage that powers higher impedence cans better. Also, it contains a dac which allows usb connection to Android phones which bypasses the source amp which was the main reason I bought it. As a bonus it also can act as an external power source to recharge your phone if needed. Therefore, it really depends what you are looking for. If you are looking for the best sound on a budget then you'll struggle to find something which sounds better than the NX1 at this price point. In addition, if battery life and portability are your main concerns the NX1 is ideal. However, there are far more featured amps out there that cost far more with which the NX1 is going to struggle to compete with on function and sound.

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #1,437 of 2,185
I've got the NX1 and the e18. The e18 is a much more acomplished amp imo but costs about 4x the price. The NX1 is a much more neutral amp imo which delivers decent seperation and clarity across the spectrum. It also has stellar battery life and a really small form factor. The e18 is much larger and heavier and the position of the usb port on the bottom as well as a stright usb otg cable makes it less portable out of the box. However, it has a really nice, warm, powerful sound with decent soundstage that powers higher impedence cans better. Also, it contains a dac which allows usb connection to Android phones which bypasses the source amp which was the main reason I bought it. As a bonus it also can act as an external power source to recharge your phone if needed. Therefore, it really depends what you are looking for. If you are looking for the best sound on a budget then you'll struggle to find something which sounds better than the NX1 at this price point. In addition, if battery life and portability are your main concerns the NX1 is ideal. However, there are far more featured amps out there that cost far more with which the NX1 is going to struggle to compete with on function and sound.

Thanks for the help! Which do you find yourself using most of the time? Would the e18 work as a DAC for my sony NWZA17?

Feb 5, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #1,438 of 2,185
Photos: Topping NX1, Fiio X1, SMSL W3, SMSL M2(S.M.S.L M2), Tennmak Dulcimer Red

Feb 5, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #1,439 of 2,185
Thanks for the help! Which do you find yourself using most of the time? Would the e18 work as a DAC for my sony NWZA17?

I used to use the e18 mainly because of its dac function but only really in the house. I find the sound quality from iems or my Bluetooth headphones good enough for "on the go" listening. I've recently purchased a Schiit Modi/Vali stack for at home use so sadly the Fiio and NX1 don't get much of a look in these days. I'll still keep hold of them though for the rare instances when I travel by train or plane.

Feb 5, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #1,440 of 2,185
I used to use the e18 mainly because of its dac function but only really in the house. I find the sound quality from iems or my Bluetooth headphones good enough for "on the go" listening. I've recently purchased a Schiit Modi/Vali stack for at home use so sadly the Fiio and NX1 don't get much of a look in these days. I'll still keep hold of them though for the rare instances when I travel by train or plane.

I dont have any experience with the Sony musoc player I'm afraid. It would depend on if it supported audio out by usb. There is also a line in on the e18 which might be compatible but it was mainly produced for Android phones I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back