Topping G5
Oct 25, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #61 of 351
Just a bit off topic but need some advice on the G5. I can certainly use this on my iphone and ipad. Would it be overkill to connect to a ibasso dx300? Just trying to figure out uses as I use the dx300 more than the iphone/ipad.
Thanks

Oct 25, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #62 of 351
Just a bit off topic but need some advice on the G5. I can certainly use this on my iphone and ipad. Would it be overkill to connect to a ibasso dx300? Just trying to figure out uses as I use the dx300 more than the iphone/ipad.
Thanks
There's no such thing as overkill in this community 😅

Oct 25, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #63 of 351
Thanks
Isn't the max output at 32 Ohms on the DX300 pretty comparable to the G5? But I guess if you wanted to save some battery power on the iBasso and experience that clean NFCA thing. Yeah, there's no such thing as overkill!

Oct 25, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #64 of 351

G5 much more powerful and sound quality is better imho. Gryphon wayy overpriced. Might as well go for ifi signature if purchasing gryphon.

Interesting. In that case I think I will have to try the Topping G5 before I go for something as expensive as the Fiio Q7.

Oct 25, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #65 of 351
Isn't the max output at 32 Ohms on the DX300 pretty comparable to the G5? But I guess if you wanted to save some battery power on the iBasso and experience that clean NFCA thing. Yeah, there's no such thing as overkill!
32 ohms for 1240 mW on the dx300
32 Ohms for 1200 mW on the G5

So really it is negligible for the dx300 i guess....just thinking about the ipad and iphone....yes i know more is better even if it doesn't matter for us music folks LOL

Oct 25, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #67 of 351
32 ohms for 1240 mW on the dx300
32 Ohms for 1200 mW on the G5

So really it is negligible for the dx300 i guess....just thinking about the ipad and iphone....yes i know more is better even if it doesn't matter for us music folks LOL
Yeah, I guess for the price of the G5, why not? There would probably be an interesting synergy btw the iBasso and G5, what with handing off the amp duties directly to the G5. It might even sound louder/fuller, since it's doing all the power work. I know my Topping NX4DSD, with only 293mW on hi-gain, seems to rival other amps in perceived power. Topping always impresses with their amps!

Oct 25, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #68 of 351
Yeah, I guess for the price of the G5, why not? There would probably be an interesting synergy btw the iBasso and G5, what with handing off the amp duties directly to the G5. It might even sound louder/fuller, since it's doing all the power work. I know my Topping NX4DSD, with only 293mW on hi-gain, seems to rival other amps in perceived power. Topping always impresses with their amps!
Probably because Topping isn't lying about their output power ...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #69 of 351
Thanks
If you do buy the G5 please report back as to which appears to have more output power, the Topping or your iBasso DX300.

Oct 25, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #72 of 351
Thanks
As a wise man once said, overkill is highly underrated…!

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #73 of 351
I’ve been using my Topping G5 now for a week. This is truly a magnificent product, looks like it was made by Nagra, but the $299 this costs would not even cover the sales tax if it was made by Nagra. I’m mostly a two speaker stereo listener, and I’ve owned many of the top end DAC from Spectral, MSB, Berkeley and most recently Meitner. This unit holds its own with all of these. I’m listening to it with Focal Utopia and JH Audio Angie CEIMs. These headphones have never sounded better. Two previous HP amps i owned were the Sony TAZ and the Focal Arche.

The synergy with the Utopia on the medium gain setting is amazing. These are highly resolving HPs that can sound a bit bright. The Focal Arche on the Utopia setting will tame much of the harshness, but some detail is lost. With the G5, the Utopia are smooth as silk, with seemingly unlimited dynamics and yet the micro details are also superb. The bass on the Utopia with a slight EQ via Roon, sounds fantastic, goes deep when it should, very controlled and detailed.

My two channel stereo is highly optimized, with power conditioning, professional room treatment by RPG, TAD R1s bi amped and set up with the help of Andrew Jones, convolution filter designed by Mitch Barnett … I finally ran out of things I could do to make it sound better. So I started listening to headphone, but it wasn’t until I got the G5 that the headphones became compelling. What is most amazing to me is how I can hook up my iPad to the G5 and get this sound, all the while running on a few batteries, totally portable.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #74 of 351

Users who are viewing this thread

Back