Topping G5
Oct 2, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #16 of 351
My G5 arrived the day before I left for a 8 day vacation to Hawaii with my wife. Of course I left it in the seat back with my Fiio M7 on the return flight (Lucky AMEX seems to cover lost items within 90 days, so I should get a credit on the G5)

So I did not have a ton of time to use it but did listen to it for about 10 hours or so. My last portable DAC/AMP was the Monolith THX portable and to me the G5 produced better sound and I did notice some excellent separation of sound when really trying to listen to a song. Compared to just listening to a song with the M7, there was quite a nice improvement in sound quality. I was actually very impressed and did not recall such an improvement with the Monolith. Of course with 10 hours of use and many of those at 34,000 feet and a bit of listening with my wife trying to talk to me, I did not get to form a large scale impression with the G5 but I know I like what I was listening to from my Shure 1540's.

I was using a small Tumi carry case that Delta gave me on one of my upgrade flights that was perfect to carry the Fiio, Topping and some cables. I would throw the case in my backpack with the headphones. Of course I should have done my usual sweep of my seat back when my flight landed but a lady got out of her seat quickly and fainted and while trying to help her I forgot to check the seat back.

Size wise it seemed a bit smaller then I thought it would be, It was a bit more clunky (if that is a word) then the Monolith, that was easier to connect to the Fiio. It was easy to hold both devices in one hand. I liked how the volume control was protected by the frame, I didn't suddenly have an extra 20db of sound like I did with the Monolith by brushing the sound button accidently. There were 2 different very small nobs to change the gain settings. Low gain got the volume pretty loud on its own, I liked that I could go to about 33% of the volume on medium gain and keep the M7 at 120 (full volume) for a good level of sound for me to listen to. The 2nd small nob was for different imputes (BT, USB or AUX) These switches were smaller then I expected and the script on the device was also very small. They did work well but just my initial thoughts were that I was a little surprised at how small they were. I am sorry for the not very technical brief review. I love good sound quality but am a mid 50s low tech guy who just wants his music to sound great.

I did not notice a way to tell how full the battery was on the G5, there may be a way to see how charged it is, I just could not tell. That was one of the only things I did not love about the G5

I was very impressed with the unit for $299 and will be buying another one. Of course Fiio has a new DAP/AMP in the works but not at $299. I wish I could say more and had more time with the unit but I was very impressed with how much better it made my music sound.

Oct 2, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #17 of 351
I did not notice a way to tell how full the battery was on the G5, there may be a way to see how charged it is, I just could not tell. That was one of the only things I did not love about the G5
Battery indicator is my only gripe with the G5. It turns green to red when in critical state, and no other indicator light in between according to the manual. It's impossible to tell how much battery I have left. They should at least add yellow in between, which currently is the color displayed when charging. Other than that, it's a solid portable DAC/AMP. I actually like the no-fuss clean design with just the basic functions.

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #18 of 351
Battery indicator is my only gripe with the G5. It turns green to red when in critical state, and no other indicator light in between according to the manual. It's impossible to tell how much battery I have left. They should at least add yellow in between, which currently is the color displayed when charging. Other than that, it's a solid portable DAC/AMP. I actually like the no-fuss clean design with just the basic functions.
Imho, impressions don't mean much without comparisons. I have daps that sound great, but compared to other daps, they're meh.

I wonder how it compares to ifi signature or other products? Also does it compare with daps or dac amps much more expensive?

Or is it good for a $300 dac/amp?

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #19 of 351
My G5 arrived the day before I left for a 8 day vacation to Hawaii with my wife. Of course I left it in the seat back with my Fiio M7 on the return flight (Lucky AMEX seems to cover lost items within 90 days, so I should get a credit on the G5)

So I did not have a ton of time to use it but did listen to it for about 10 hours or so. My last portable DAC/AMP was the Monolith THX portable and to me the G5 produced better sound and I did notice some excellent separation of sound when really trying to listen to a song. Compared to just listening to a song with the M7, there was quite a nice improvement in sound quality. I was actually very impressed and did not recall such an improvement with the Monolith. Of course with 10 hours of use and many of those at 34,000 feet and a bit of listening with my wife trying to talk to me, I did not get to form a large scale impression with the G5 but I know I like what I was listening to from my Shure 1540's.

I was using a small Tumi carry case that Delta gave me on one of my upgrade flights that was perfect to carry the Fiio, Topping and some cables. I would throw the case in my backpack with the headphones. Of course I should have done my usual sweep of my seat back when my flight landed but a lady got out of her seat quickly and fainted and while trying to help her I forgot to check the seat back.

Size wise it seemed a bit smaller then I thought it would be, It was a bit more clunky (if that is a word) then the Monolith, that was easier to connect to the Fiio. It was easy to hold both devices in one hand. I liked how the volume control was protected by the frame, I didn't suddenly have an extra 20db of sound like I did with the Monolith by brushing the sound button accidently. There were 2 different very small nobs to change the gain settings. Low gain got the volume pretty loud on its own, I liked that I could go to about 33% of the volume on medium gain and keep the M7 at 120 (full volume) for a good level of sound for me to listen to. The 2nd small nob was for different imputes (BT, USB or AUX) These switches were smaller then I expected and the script on the device was also very small. They did work well but just my initial thoughts were that I was a little surprised at how small they were. I am sorry for the not very technical brief review. I love good sound quality but am a mid 50s low tech guy who just wants his music to sound great.

I was very impressed with the unit for $299 and will be buying another one. Of course Fiio has a new DAP/AMP in the works but not at $299. I wish I could say more and had more time with the unit but I was very impressed with how much better it made my music sound.
Thanks for the comparisons!

Fiio dac seems like a downgrade to the m17. It only has one dac instead of the 2 in M17 and needs to be plugged in like the m17 to get the best sound.

If i have to be plugged in, i have to compare to small desktop amps.

In comparison to m17 the new topping e30 2 l30 2 blows my m17 out the water in just about every way and by almost any scientific metric not just my opinions on sound. The m17 $1800 the topping stack $300. What will you do with the extra $1500 saved?

Needless to say I'm not that excited about fiio q7.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #20 of 351
Imho, impressions don't mean much without comparisons. I have daps that sound great, but compared to other daps, they're meh.

I wonder how it compares to ifi signature or other products? Also does it compare with daps or dac amps much more expensive?

Or is it good for a $300 dac/amp?
Did you quote the wrong person? I'm pointing out the less than ideal battery indicator, and you're complaining about lack of comparisons in sound?? Not sure I understand your angle here.

Oct 2, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #21 of 351
Did you quote the wrong person? I'm pointing out the less than ideal battery indicator, and you're complaining about lack of comparisons in sound?? Not sure I understand your angle here.

Other than that, it's a solid portable DAC/AMP.
"Other than that, it's a solid portable DAC/AMP"

Just responding to that impression that it's a solid dap.

Thanks for your impressions. Do you have any comparisons?

Oct 2, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #22 of 351
"Other than that, it's a solid portable DAC/AMP"

Just responding to that impression that it's a solid dap.

Thanks for your impressions. Do you have any comparisons?
First of all, I was replying to someone else's comment about poor implementation regarding battery indicator. so don't snip a sentence and take it out of context. I clearly stated what I saw as a problem (battery indicator), why it's not ideal (green straight to red), and what it should be at a minimum (add yellow in between). It clearly wasn't about comparative analysis.

Second of all, you mean comparisons like yours below?? I've never heard e30/l30 nor the M17, so does your comment below suppose to mean something to me?? And you're comparing a desktop stack with a DAP that's not even in the same price bracket. If I'm considering purchasing e30/l30 stack, I'm pretty sure I won't be cross-shopping it with M17. Thanks, that was incredibly helpful.
In comparison to m17 the new topping e30 2 l30 2 blows my m17 out the water in just about every way and by almost any scientific metric not just my opinions on sound.

Lastly, I didn't write that comment hoping it means something to "you." Learn how to socialize before you butt in just to make a useless point.
Imho, impressions don't mean much without comparisons.

p.s., there's another G5 thread you might want to check out.

Enjoy your music :beerchug: my friend.

Oct 3, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #23 of 351
First of all, I was replying to someone else's comment about poor implementation regarding battery indicator. so don't snip a sentence and take it out of context. I clearly stated what I saw as a problem (battery indicator), why it's not ideal (green straight to red), and what it should be at a minimum (add yellow in between). It clearly wasn't about comparative analysis.

Second of all, you mean comparisons like yours below?? I've never heard e30/l30 nor the M17, so does your comment below suppose to mean something to me?? And you're comparing a desktop stack with a DAP that's not even in the same price bracket. If I'm considering purchasing e30/l30 stack, I'm pretty sure I won't be cross-shopping it with M17. Thanks, that was incredibly helpful.

Lastly, I didn't write that comment hoping it means something to "you." Learn how to socialize before you butt in just to make a useless point.
Wow. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

I was just asking for comparisons. No need to get hostile...

Oct 3, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #24 of 351
Wow. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

I was just asking for comparisons. No need to get hostile...
Is that how you normally ask people? Saying comments are meaningless unless written to your standards?

Anyways, lets not continue. I apologize if you think I over reacted. We're all here to enjoy the music right? 🙂

All good and lets get back to the awesome G5. Let me know if you have any specific questions. I did leave a brief impressions on the other thread.

Oct 3, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #26 of 351
Yes i have a specific question. Do you have any other dac amps u can compare it to with power output and sound quality in your opinion? Thanks.
Sure. I no longer have the ifi Gryphon, but I had them side by side before I got rid of the Gryphon. These two are on the extreme opposite end of the spectrum IMO.

Sound wise, G5 is clean, accurate, and uncolored, whereas the Gryphon is definitely colored, smooth and on the warmer side. Unlike most other dacs I've used, the filters definitely alter the sound on the Gryphon. STD filter sounded least colored on the Gryphon but still not quite as transparent as the G5, and in the GTO setting, it is noticeably smoother and warmer. I didn't like the bitperfect setting. I found it a bit harsh, but it could easily have been my imagination. And I noticed the Gryphon had this slight hollow sound time to time which I didn't always like. On the G5, with firmware 1.50, the default filter was changed to prevent early rolloff in the treble. Other than thru firmware updates, you cannot change to different filters. Although not quite as competent, IMO, G5's sound presentation should be somewhat familiar to those that own or have heard the D90/A90 or other similar Topping products.

Power wise, not much of a difference. I think it's something like 1,200mw @32ohm on the G5 vs 1,000mw @32ohm on BAL in the Gryphon. Difference is, Gryphon is truly balanced whereas G5 isn't. And also, in G5, you have the option for manual gain settings (L,M,H) unlike the Gryphon, where the gain setting is automatic dependent on the volume setting. On both devices, you should be able to run most fullsize headphones no problem. I was able to easily run DCA Noire and HD600 on both devices with plenty of headroom.

Other than that, Gryphon is feature packed and you have the option to alter sound to better suit your taste with Xbass/Xspace plus filter settings, that I actually found quite useful on certain combinations to achieve better synergy. And IMO, Xbass is tastefully done without over blowing the mids. And the integrated iematch is always a welcomed feature for sensitive IEMs.

Both are well built and feel solid in the hand.

Overall, if you value clean and transparent sound, G5 is the way to go IMO. If you typically lean toward musical, smooth, and fun, and generally like warmer tones, than Gryphon might be a better option. Personally, I prefer the G5 for same reasons why I like neutral sounding headphones.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #28 of 351
Sure. I no longer have the ifi Gryphon, but I had them side by side before I got rid of the Gryphon. These two are on the extreme opposite end of the spectrum IMO.

Sound wise, G5 is clean, accurate, and uncolored, whereas the Gryphon is definitely colored, smooth and on the warmer side. Unlike most other dacs I've used, the filters definitely alter the sound on the Gryphon. STD filter sounded least colored on the Gryphon but still not quite as transparent as the G5, and in the GTO setting, it is noticeably smoother and warmer. I didn't like the bitperfect setting. I found it a bit harsh, but it could easily have been my imagination. And I noticed the Gryphon had this slight hollow sound time to time which I didn't always like. On the G5, with firmware 1.50, the default filter was changed to prevent early rolloff in the treble. Other than thru firmware updates, you cannot change to different filters. Although not quite as competent, IMO, G5's sound presentation should be somewhat familiar to those that own or have heard the D90/A90 or other similar Topping products.

Power wise, not much of a difference. I think it's something like 1,200mw @32ohm on the G5 vs 1,000mw @32ohm on BAL in the Gryphon. Difference is, Gryphon is truly balanced whereas G5 isn't. And also, in G5, you have the option for manual gain settings (L,M,H) unlike the Gryphon, where the gain setting is automatic dependent on the volume setting. On both devices, you should be able to run most fullsize headphones no problem. I was able to easily run DCA Noire and HD600 on both devices with plenty of headroom.

Other than that, Gryphon is feature packed and you have the option to alter sound to better suit your taste with Xbass/Xspace plus filter settings, that I actually found quite useful on certain combinations to achieve better synergy. And IMO, Xbass is tastefully done without over blowing the mids. And the integrated iematch is always a welcomed feature for sensitive IEMs.

Both are well built and feel solid in the hand.

Overall, if you value clean and transparent sound, G5 is the way to go IMO. If you typically lean toward musical, smooth, and fun, and generally like warmer tones, than Gryphon might be a better option. Personally, I prefer the G5 for same reasons why I like neutral sounding headphones.

Hope that helps.
Good details. Thanks!

Personally i prefer the signature to the gryphon. One of my major problems with gryphon was like you mentioned no way to control gain.

On gryphon i had my legend x on close to max power woth no headroom. But NX7 and signature alot of power and headroom. I think gryphon forces gain level with certain impedance which sucks imho.

Gryphon was nice but waaay overpriced Imho. I'm looking forward to hearing g5 and especially future topping products where they include multiple dacs.

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #29 of 351
Good details. Thanks!

Personally i prefer the signature to the gryphon. One of my major problems with gryphon was like you mentioned no way to control gain.

On gryphon i had my legend x on close to max power woth no headroom. But NX7 and signature alot of power and headroom. I think gryphon forces gain level with certain impedance which sucks imho.

Gryphon was nice but waaay overpriced Imho. I'm looking forward to hearing g5 and especially future topping products where they include multiple dacs.
Speaking of multiple dac module, Xduoo's upcoming xd05 pro is an interesting development that i'm looking forward to. It seems quite powerful with interchangeable dac module (flagships from ak,ess,rohm) and massive battery (12000mah). It'll be interesting to compare it with the G5 once released. Does Topping have something similar in the pipeline?

Oct 3, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #30 of 351
Speaking of multiple dac module, Xduoo's upcoming xd05 pro is an interesting development that i'm looking forward to. It seems quite powerful with interchangeable dac module (flagships from ak,ess,rohm) and massive battery (12000mah). It'll be interesting to compare it with the G5 once released. Does Topping have something similar in the pipeline?
I wish topping did

Users who are viewing this thread

Back