Topping E30 + Sundara or AKG K712 Pro question
Mar 14, 2022 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dcooper

New Head-Fier
Hi! Sorry if this has been asked before. I tried searching the forum, but couldn’t find an answer.

I’ve bought a Topping E30, and I’m planning to use it to power either some K712 pros or Sundaras. (I’m leaning mostly towards the K712). From what I’ve read the E30 supplies about 2 vrms. Would this be sufficient for either of the headphones? I was really hoping to avoid having to buy an amplifier in addition to the E30, so I guess my question is, do you think the difference would be noticeable enough for a non audiophile like me to warrant spending another 1-200 dollars?

Mar 14, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 15
Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 15
Hi! Sorry if this has been asked before. I tried searching the forum, but couldn’t find an answer.

I’ve bought a Topping E30, and I’m planning to use it to power either some K712 pros or Sundaras. (I’m leaning mostly towards the K712). From what I’ve read the E30 supplies about 2 vrms. Would this be sufficient for either of the headphones?

The E30 is a DAC. Its 2V rating is for a line stage output, not an amplifier output stage.

2V is the Sony Redbook standard for line output for CD players, so unless you're using a portable amp designed only for portable amps ie one with a ridiculously high input sensitivity, or a balanced amp that is supposed to take a 4V balanced signal, the E30 will work with any amp.

I was really hoping to avoid having to buy an amplifier in addition to the E30, so I guess my question is, do you think the difference would be noticeable enough for a non audiophile like me to warrant spending another 1-200 dollars?

It's a DAC, so you really need an amplifier.

If you really want to buy a DAC and try to hook up a headphone using a Y-cable, it's not impossible, but chances are it'll be loud but sucks since there's really no circuit there that has current delivery and damping factor. It's any cartoon character riding a small rocket and then trying to race something like an Audi RS6. You might not look too bad on the rocket, but then the first corner comes up and you'll get to see why solid fuel rockets aren't a good idea vs a twin turbo V8 that can vary how it spins each of the four wheels depending on what's happening while cornering.

Mar 14, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 15
The E30 is a DAC. Its 2V rating is for a line stage output, not an amplifier output stage.

2V is the Sony Redbook standard for line output for CD players, so unless you're using a portable amp designed only for portable amps ie one with a ridiculously high input sensitivity, or a balanced amp that is supposed to take a 4V balanced signal, the E30 will work with any amp.

It's a DAC, so you really need an amplifier.

If you really want to buy a DAC and try to hook up a headphone using a Y-cable, it's not impossible, but chances are it'll be loud but sucks since there's really no circuit there that has current delivery and damping factor. It's any cartoon character riding a small rocket and then trying to race something like an Audi RS6. You might not look too bad on the rocket, but then the first corner comes up and you'll get to see why solid fuel rockets aren't a good idea vs a twin turbo V8 that can vary how it spins each of the four wheels depending on what's happening while cornering.
Ok! I was comparing it to the Fiio E10K (that i've seen some people are using with the K712 pro), which I read also has 2 vrms, so I thought they would perform about the same. This is turning out to be a confusing hobby, lol.:beyersmile: So pbui44 suggests the Fiio K5 Pro. Where I live the Topping DX3 Pro+ is about 20% cheaper. Would this be a good alternative? From what I can see it does have an amp.

Mar 14, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 15
Where I live the Topping DX3 Pro+ is about 20% cheaper. Would this be a good alternative? From what I can see it does have an amp.

From this review:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pping-dx3-pro-review-dac-headphone-amp.27148/

It looks like the Topping DX3 Pro+ is a very safe bet, but it would work best with the AKG K712 Pro. Schiit EU said this month that they are not getting new stock (including the Magnius amp) anytime soon, so this amp is best at its price for powering a Sundara with the following 4.4mm balanced cable:

https://www.amazon.se/Balanserad-hö...fi&qid=1647280917&sprefix=ifi,aps,307&sr=8-14

https://www.amazon.se/HiFi-kabel-ba...647281003&sprefix=sundara+4.4m,aps,237&sr=8-3

Mar 14, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 15
From this review:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pping-dx3-pro-review-dac-headphone-amp.27148/

It looks like the Topping DX3 Pro+ is a very safe bet, but it would work best with the AKG K712 Pro. Schiit EU said this month that they are not getting new stock (including the Magnius amp) anytime soon, so this amp is best at its price for powering a Sundara with the following 4.4mm balanced cable:

https://www.amazon.se/Balanserad-hörlursförstärkare-försteg-utgång-Standard/dp/B08DJ4NJH5/ref=sr_1_14?crid=2SRLWCPZG0I92&keywords=ifi&qid=1647280917&sprefix=ifi,aps,307&sr=8-14

https://www.amazon.se/HiFi-kabel-balanserad-kontakt-kompatibel-Ananda-hörlurar/dp/B08L3536JF/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3REE2YGOQ0995&keywords=sundara+4.4m&qid=1647281003&sprefix=sundara+4.4m,aps,237&sr=8-3
Thanks! Looks like I’ll go for the DX3 pro then.

Mar 14, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #7 of 15

I’ve bought a Topping E30, and I’m planning to use it to power either some K712 pros or Sundaras. (I’m leaning mostly towards the K712). From what I’ve read the E30 supplies about 2 vrms. Would this be sufficient for either of the headphones? I was really hoping to avoid having to buy an amplifier in addition to the E30, so I guess my question is, do you think the difference would be noticeable enough for a non audiophile like me to warrant spending another 1-200 dollars?
It's a dac. You need to get an amp.

Mar 15, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #8 of 15
Ok! I was comparing it to the Fiio E10K (that i've seen some people are using with the K712 pro), which I read also has 2 vrms, so I thought they would perform about the same.

2vrms on the E10K is probably also the preamp output at the rear, not the headphone output in front.

This is turning out to be a confusing hobby, lol.:beyersmile: So pbui44 suggests the Fiio K5 Pro. Where I live the Topping DX3 Pro+ is about 20% cheaper. Would this be a good alternative? From what I can see it does have an amp.

Probably. However...

1. If you already ordered the E30 the DX3 Pro has its own DAC anyway. If you're not cancelling that order before it ships (since you're trying to save as much as possible, I assume this is important), you might as well not use that stuff for now and just save up for a better amp to use with the E30. Although don't wait too long as to lose the warranty before you get to test it.

2. I'd lean more towards just saving up a bit more than get either of those options. Something like a Meier Corda Rock FF. Or just get the Jazz FF - this one might seem very expensive but if it's going to get you as good as it gets on those headphones then if you don't like the sound then it's pretty much sure it's the headphones you don't like as opposed to the amp not driving them well.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #9 of 15
Think the new dx3 pro+ is a good and cheap all in one solution.
check out rev on headfonia

Mar 15, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #10 of 15
Having had both headphones, personally I'd get a Magni Heresy and open box Sundara from Hifiman or used to keep cost down. The k712 is nice but having had a couple, just don't think they're worth the price they go for.

Mar 15, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #11 of 15
The DX3 pro+ will be an excellent device. The last two or three years have really seen companies like Topping, S.M.S.L and Gustard really put on their A game and have essentially been leading without any debate where price to value comes into play, and all of their last few years worth of devices are audibly transparent, which means you can't hear any influence of the device, you hear the music. In the past there have been some quality control issues, but the same could be said for Audeze and many other companies, so it has next to nothing to do with the fact that these companies are Chinese. In fact, that discrimination against Chinese based companies is not really grounded in evidence anymore.

In the world of audio some of the very finest mega-buck audio gear made on the planet is made in China and when it comes to designs, China is now also a heavy hitter. I only say this not to be a fan boy, but because it is popular among many in these forums to imply that Chinese audio gear is inferior which is just not the case anymore, and hasn't been for a number of years now.

I'll give you an example. Creek Audio, nice UK based company. A number of years ago they started producing a more affordable line in China while keeping their upper-tier lines made in the UK. I purchased a first generation made in China Creek Evolution integrated amp. Loved it. In discussion with an importer who controlled the entire Creek line-up coming into Canada one of the principles who I spoke with on the phone told me that he saw more returns from the UK manufactured line than he was from the line made in China. I have no reason to doubt him. That is but one data point of course, but somewhat illustrative. I have owned plenty of gear from US, European, Japanese and Chinese manufacturers. I have not seen a discernable reliability gap with the Chinese gear. Currently I have a Gustard X16 and in my system for playing drums to I have an SMSL M200. Both are fantastic.

My long winded message is that the DX3 Pro+ should be absolutely fine. Is it possible to experience a failure? Absolutely, but that will be true of any company. It is the nature of consumer electronics.

Mar 15, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #12 of 15
Having had both headphones, personally I'd get a Magni Heresy and open box Sundara from Hifiman or used to keep cost down. The k712 is nice but having had a couple, just don't think they're worth the price they go for.
For me the Sundara would be almost twice the price of the k712. Would your opinion be the same with this in mind? I’m worried the Sundara would be a little on the harsh side, as I’ve read some people say this. I’ve used the 598 for many years now, which I love the sound of, but they are beaten up now and I would like that “little extra” sound-wise. From the reviews I’ve read the k712 have many similar characteristics as the 598, but I’m honestly not sure.

Thanks for all the responses. Appreciate the advice from everybody!

Mar 20, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #14 of 15
Pro tip here :) Cancel orders.
Buy a HD600 HD650 and a IFI hip DAC.
Order a balanced cable.

Come thank me later.

Yes it's a bit more then you were about to cash outright now, but by the gods it's a sold setup.

HD600 is 250 euro
IFI hip DAC is 150 euro
Balanced cable 50 euro

Soundwise you will be competing with setups that are 4 times as expensive.

Ps, how long as the HD600 been in production? Ever thought why :wink:

Mar 20, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #15 of 15
One last thing, - The K712 is not “bad", but compared to a HD600, or a Sundara, it just lacks detail. The bass is sadly just not tight.

I bought it two times and returned it two times... Just for info...

But what it does better then the two is soundstage, without having a Beye frequency response :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back